Broken Sword 2.5 2 8.70%
The Organistics 0 0%
Rise of the Hidden Sun 0 0%
Day of the Tentacle 2 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #21
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Um, LucasArts isn't doing DOTT2. It's fanmade also. A Vampyre Story and Sam and Max 2 are the only games being made by ex-LucasArts employees. Don't expect muck to come from Bad Brain. These guys worked on Sam and Max 1 and 2, Mi 1-4, Dott, and every other LucasArts game. The bg artist from MI3 is doing their bgs also.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 11-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #22
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

The demo I watched for Indiana Jones FOY was *amazing*. Can't wait for it to be released. And it's free! The screenshots for A Vampyre Story look really good. This is going to be another good one. :w00t: Thanks for sharing all the info, Fawful. I like knowing about the latest and greatest.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 11-01-2005, 04:11 AM   #23
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Jan 10 2005, 08:56 PM
i think it was because funcom isnt a very big company and cant afford the advertising and bribes to magazines and websites
I don't think it's advertising that drives the presence of reviews in magazines, but regular, sustained attempts to contact the press. Many developers, especially those that aren't located in the a magazine's home country, have difficulty doing this. When I wanted to do a review of The Longest Journey, my contact was the company owner. He was very genial, but told me Funcom didn't maintain a database of reviewers or magazines. I received a copy from overseas, and reviewed it, but he expressed no interest in the content to use for future promotion.

By contrast, the big game companies are aggressive in getting their products under the eyes of magazine editors and reviewers. They don't have to buy advertising to do this. They only have to enthuse a few people about their game. I've known sober editors in my day who turned into little kids upon being shown playable demos of some games.

Finally, stating that magazines do or don't do reviews on the basis of bribes is both harsh, and the kind of accusation that screams for proof when it's made. If you have proof, state it. If you don't, maybe you ought to consider how that kind of unsubstantiated accusation reflects upon you before making it.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 AM   #24
cheesegrater
Game freak

Vampyre Story because I love vamires. I want to be a vampire. I eat count-dracula cereal in hopes that someday I will transform into a vampire.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #25
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, borodin. Believe me. Bad Brain intends using their teams past as a marketing ploy. Expect the game to be great. The company bad brain was actually founded in the sole purpose of funding adventure games. And don't worry. This won't be their last adventure game. Whether this one sells good or not, they plan to keep making adventure games till their last breath. On quote. BTW there was a Sam and Max fangame being made called The Case Gilbert, but the maker mysteriously disappeared. I hope Sam and Max 2 doesn't jinx bad brain like it has all the others.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #26
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, borodin. Believe me. Bad Brain intends using their teams past as a marketing ploy. Expect the game to be great. The company bad brain was actually founded in the sole purpose of funding adventure games.

I never thought otherwise. The designers appear to be some of the best talent various other companies ever had, including Lucasarts.

Whether this one sells good or not, they plan to keep making adventure games till their last breath.

I hope you're right, but many vaunting efforts have died for lack of enthusiasm. However, if the games live up to expectations, and word gets out about them, I think they'll do well enough. Any idea when the first title will appear?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #27
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Their online quiz show will be up June 2005. A vampyre story will be done April of 2006.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #28
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Just noticed this:

Oslo, Norway - February 18, 2004 - Funcom was recently awarded a grant from the Norwegian Film Fund to partially finance the development of Dreamfall, the long-awaited follow-up to The Longest Journey . The Norwegian government has, for the first time, actively endorsed game development, marking a welcome shift in the cultural acceptance of computer games as a medium comparable to film and television.

This is the kind of open-minded foundation that I wish we had in the US. Good for them!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #29
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

cool. k:
Old 12-01-2005, 04:53 AM   #30
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

I really didn't like the Longest Journey that much; I thought it was overrated. Sort of like Syberia 1 and 2, which aren't great games at all. Longest Journey is better than those though. In any case, I voted for the Indy game -- Fate of Atlantis is probably one of my 3 favorite adventures.
edlglide is offline                         Send a private message to edlglide