Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
I don't think it's smart to use dial-up in this day and age, but maybe that's just me.

Unless you tell me good reasons why should we make a concession and not you, I'll treat this as a joke.
Believe it or not, some regions only have dial up available.
If that's the case here, I don't know, and I'm certainly to lazy (as usual) to look it up.
Even don't know for sure if the location of methuselah is the real one, but a mod/admin(?) should be able to do a IP check and check those stated facts.

Anyway, whatever, dial up sux big.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i thought the old file leech protection system that data made nicely worked. why changing it? poor people on dial up
Old 29-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Data's programming skills put everyone to shame. Whatever he did, we should keep it.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 29-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
methuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Data's programming skills put everyone to shame. Whatever he did, we should keep it.
Very logical thinking! My compliments to "arete." Let me say again, in different words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The "old way" of handling download links looked fine to me, seemed secure enough, and was client-friendly, especially to people in the Linux community who like using "cURL."

Another point to ponder: what is the guiding principle here at "Abandonia"? I would say (maybe I am presuming too much) that it is to preserve old DOS games by making them available to the widest possible audience. Am I wrong? If so, maybe I "spake" in the wrong place.

Anyway, I do not think dial-up is dead yet (yes, it is far inferior to broadband service), so it would be a good gesture to "bow" ever so slightly to the needs of dial-up users.

methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah
Old 30-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I do believe the reason the download-system was changed was because it had security issues.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Peter
Forum hobbit

That is too bad . Can Studentis fix the issues ?
Peter is offline                         Send a private message to Peter
Old 30-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Maybe. We'll see.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
methuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Maybe. We'll see.
Thanks for remaining open-minded on this issue. That's all I can ask, and I am satisfied with your answer. Not being in the web-hosting business, I am not fully aware of the issues related to bandwidth theft, so I must rely on your decision-making abilities to deal with this. I am hopeful, however, that some system of handling download links can be found that will enable the usage of "cURL" and similar download managers, thus once again permitting session-to-session downloads. My self-imposed limitation on download segments is 15 MB or less per session. This equates to not more than 1 hour of download time.

My initial post was definitely not intended as a joke, nor was it intended to be inflammatory in any way. It was a legitimate and politely phrased request. The course of this thread has led to thoughts of other topics to raise, such as: 1. the possibility of download fees being charged to assure continuance of the website; 2. the eventual disappearance of "ripped" game versions completely, in favor of full CD versions exclusively. But I will raise those issues later in other posts.

Be assured that "Abandonia" remains my favorite abandonware site, because of its first-class game reviews and quality selection of MS-DOS games. Thanks to "management" for due consideration of the downloading issue.

methuselah is offline                         Send a private message to methuselah
Old 30-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #19
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
I do believe the reason the download-system was changed was because it had security issues.
come on.. it's data.. and you know him, i have never ever found a single website that would have leeched from abandonia with his system
Old 30-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Quote:
Data is a top-class programmer - one of the best! I vote we keep his system.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo