Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #21
Himmler
Trollmaster General

it doesn't work like that wendy
that would mean that everything can be art, but only good-taste will ever be.
if you look at american art... well you'd better not look mostly. culture is important, national one.

but sometimes a picture can just tell a story.

exactly my point. quint's is intuitive. an artist doesn't have to say what he tried to do, he has to suggest so the others can create their personal oppinion.

artist: this is a fish
common person: it's a vase!
wrong

artist: this is my latest work
common person:what a lovely vase!
:P

art can't be created at my age.i'm only learning now, but i can tell alot of things about art.
in order to do abstract art, or your own art you have to walk through art, that meaning if you draw a line that represents a person you have to know how to draw a portrait first.

you don't follow rules, you don't follow principles =>> you don't do art
Quote:
But wasn't the "guitar" your final exam work? [/b]
everything is final untill proven the contrary

greek words: i didn't underline the whole element cause my screen resolution is a bit smaller to see the whole picture.
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 28-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #22
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

You got some points, but I can't agree totally. Many rules where established AFTER someone used them, but you're right about the line/portrait argument... well today I've no more time to discuss, I just hope you have clear what I intended to say you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Jan 28 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]276870[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
art can't be created at my age.
[/b]
Mozart was making immortal art pieces when he was younger...
Old 28-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #23
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think it does work like that, Himmler. The rules or principles you've been talking about might not be recognised by artists from different cultures or other times, and yet their creations are still art, and are still considered to be art . The artists in the past who've achieved greatest success are the ones who've pioneered new ways of creating, new ways of showing reality, new ways of thinking. When Picasso left behind the old ways of doing portraiture, etc, and chucking much of what he'd be told and taught, people were at first outraged at his 'strange' looking paintings. Someone once asked of a Van Gough painting (referring to the rich colours and swirling shapes) "What pig painted that?" It seemed really decadent as impressionism was the focus, not realism. Naive art doesn't follow many of the rules of perspective, composition and proportion, but it's fun because of it's simplicity and design focus. In the times to come, new and great art will be done by those who free their minds from everything that's been said and done before and create from imagination and intuition. This is the same for music and literature. It's always changing and evolving into something new. And the same in every other field, including medicine. Once it was a rule to use leeches to suck/drain away poisons in the blood. These days they use antibiotics. Then the experts will decide that antibiotics are actually harmful and use something else. In fact, some alternative healers are saying that already.

It's ok not to like any art because it's not to our taste, but I don't think we can say it's wrong or bad. I've heard people speak disparagingly about abstract art, but it has it's place, purpose and worth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and so is art.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 28-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #24
Himmler
Trollmaster General

Quote:
It's ok not to like any art because it's not to our taste, but I don't think we can say it's wrong or bad[/b]
i asked you to prove me wrong, and you couldn't, or didn't.
don't go into medicine for nothing

look at picasso's first stages. it's figurative, then it evolves into cubism, meaning you have to be able to make the same figurative art before doing something based on your own principles. and i'm not reffering to history of arts, but the art itself.

Quote:
Mozart was making immortal art pieces when he was younger... [/b]
he was a genious(?).most of us aren't

Quote:
but you're right about the line/portrait argument.[/b]
that's my main argument cause that's not understood by wendy

and one other thing: colours. everything you do or use must be balanced. wendy's work doesn't work like that. now you can say whatever you like, but it still hurts my eyes.
Old 28-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #25
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

<wendy's work doesn't work like that. now you can say whatever you like, but it still hurts my eyes.>

Then my life hasn't been wasted. LOL
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 28-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #26
Himmler
Trollmaster General

i love your attitude too bad you didn't brought enough arguments.maybe you don't care, but i say you don't have them.

if i say i'm a musicial will you believe me? cause i make... sounds

and you said something about Van GoGh. we're not discussing technique here, we're discussing composition.

i sense a superiority attitude and it's bad.
not for me, though.
Old 28-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #27
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Jan 28 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]276883[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

i sense a superiority attitude and it's bad.
[/b]

I think that's called mirroring, Himmler.

All I'm really trying to say is that for a successful forum where people feel they can confidently put up their work for comment is where comments positive and critical can be given, but where respect is shown to the creator of that work. That's not going to happen where someone comments: 'Your work hurts my eyes.' I'm sure you wouldn't be delighted if someone said that in a public forum about your artwork.

We welcome your comments here and opinions, but leave the hurtful and humiliating out of it. Ok?
Old 28-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
Himmler
Trollmaster General

it's not humiliation, wendy, it is the truth in MY oppinion. as i said before, you can take it into consideration, or you cand ignore it.
if someone told that about one of my works i would ask him/her for arguments and if they're right i would change it or just accept their oppinion.

We welcome your comments here and opinions

who's WE?
don't missinterpret my words. i don't know you, you don't know me so let's try and stay objective(as i was untill this very moment)

i HAD a superiority complex, just like you, only i've changed
Old 28-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #29
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Woo hoo! Found a way to stop pictures resizing in IE. Go into Tools/Internet Options/Advanced - then scroll down to Multimedia and untick allow automatic resizing of pictures.
Old 28-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #30
Himmler
Trollmaster General

mozilla is better