Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, let's look at the rules.
Under the heading "Forum Conduct" section 5(d) it is not allowed to advertise in the main forum, doing so would be considered spamming.
Under the sections "Private Messaging" and "signatures" these same rules apply to PMs and signatures.

It would thus be considered spam on the main forum, PMs and signatures.

If I were you I'd wait and build up a bit of a reputation (as in, help the site in any way you can or just participate in the forum). The administration is unlikely to allow any new member to spread his site around, in whatever form.
Old 25-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Anyway...

Are there still any open questions considering this? If not this thread might get closed. No use in members disscussing their interpretations of the linking rules. Those who want to get to this myspace project our new member suggested can also contact him with questions about it and that's that. I think Kosta already made up his mind on this anyway, so...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 26-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Jun 25 2007, 06:56 PM) [snapback]296319[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
No use in members disscussing their interpretations of the linking rules. [/b]
No use? My dear Seb, arguing about the interpretation of rules is all I've been doing for the past year. Whether it's the Forum Guidelines or the Terrorism Act 2006, nitpicking about the rules certainly does serve a point!
Why, this thread could be seen as case-law clarifying the law and a link to this thread should be added to the forum rules thread. I call this thread 'Tiberius v. Abandonia.com'

Isn't it great? This forum is evolving so rapidly it nearly has it's own Judiciary! The lack of a separation of powers in forums has always struck me as odd.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

OK, guess its about time I jump in I've thought about it and made my choice. Since advertising in the context of our rules is referring to promoting other sites, this case wouldn't necessarily apply. This would be a way to invite all people that have myspace account to join the abandonware group. Sending PMs to all new members is out of the question as that would be spamming, but as far as I am concerned I see no harm in having a signature that invites all myspace members to join this group. So there you have it, I hope that sounds reasonable

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 28-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
Tiberius

Thank you for your decision Kosta, and any decision you would have made would be fair considering this is your site after all. To make sure I have it 100% right:

A link in my signature is ok.

PMs, as I thought, would be spamming.

And a thread here in "Blah, blah, blah" would be ok? or not?

Quote:
This would be a way to invite all people that have myspace account to join the abandonware group.[/b]
I couldn't quite discern whether this was about a thread or about the preceding sentence which approves of a signature.

---------------------------------

Quote:
Why, this thread could be seen as case-law clarifying the law and a link to this thread should be added to the forum rules thread. I call this thread 'Tiberius v. Abandonia.com'[/b]
Haha, I like that.

I'd like to see the group "bridge the gap" between the regular gamer and the abandonware crowd. It will be infinitely easier with even just a few knowledgeable abandonians in the group to help newbs get up to speed.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius
Old 28-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #16
punch999
The true Shadow President

This might be my favorite quote ever.
Quote:
QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Jun 25 2007, 06:56 PM) *
No use in members disscussing their interpretations of the linking rules.

No use? My dear Seb, arguing about the interpretation of rules is all I've been doing for the past year. Whether it's the Forum Guidelines or the Terrorism Act 2006, nitpicking about the rules certainly does serve a point!
Why, this thread could be seen as case-law clarifying the law and a link to this thread should be added to the forum rules thread. I call this thread 'Tiberius v. Abandonia.com'

Isn't it great? This forum is evolving so rapidly it nearly has it's own Judiciary! The lack of a separation of powers in forums has always struck me as odd. [/b]
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 28-06-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The way I understand it, Kosta has indeed allowed you to post a thread about your group.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
Tiberius

Okay, I think I understand everything now. Apologies for my not posting in a while, but my brother broke his ankle and I am now tasked with running his delivery company. I have a couple things left to do to the group and then I will have a link in my signature and post a thread in this forum. Thanks again to all who helped out.
Tiberius is offline                         Send a private message to Tiberius