Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
GIJoeMo

I downloaded Pirates Gold, Dos Box and got started just fine in winXP, but as soon as I try to get to sea, the map/ocean is all mixed up and I can't navigate the damn ship. H-E-L-P! thks
GIJoeMo is offline                         Send a private message to GIJoeMo
Old 03-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

More info is needed before we can help you. Please help us to help you.

What is your OS? What is the power of your machine? Is the game you are trying to run DOS or Windows based? Did you try DOSBox and/or VDMSound?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
GIJoeMo

I have Win XP Home edition 2002 version, service pack 2 whatever that is... Celeron 2,66GHz + 1,18Gb RAM.
I ran PG on Dos Box, plain. The game begins just fine, main menu, first swordfight, inside town, etc. The problem starts just when I try to get out of town, instead of open sea I see mixed squares of land, sea, town... :blink: ARGH! and i'ts impossible to navigate... :wallbash:
thks

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 3 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]246499[/snapback]
Quote:

What is your OS? What is the power of your machine? Is the game you are trying to run DOS or Windows based? Did you try DOSBox and/or VDMSound?
[/b]
GIJoeMo is offline                         Send a private message to GIJoeMo
Old 04-08-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It sounds like your archive got corrupted during the download. Re-download.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #5
Sith-Avenger

QUOTE(GIJoeMo @ Aug 3 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]246633[/snapback]
Quote:
I have Win XP Home edition 2002 version, service pack 2 whatever that is... Celeron 2,66GHz + 1,18Gb RAM.
I ran PG on Dos Box, plain. The game begins just fine, main menu, first swordfight, inside town, etc. The problem starts just when I try to get out of town, instead of open sea I see mixed squares of land, sea, town... :blink: ARGH! and i'ts impossible to navigate... :wallbash:
thks

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 3 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]246499[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I sometimes have problems like that on my PC with certain games, namely DRvAK and another game that I cannot think of the name for right now. I think my problem lies with my graphics card (Nvidia geforce FX5200). They are known to be problematic with some games. If this is the case then it may be worth your while to make sure you have the latest version/patches for you graphics driver (you should be able to DL them from your card manufacturers website), as they sometimes have updates in them for problematic game compatability issues.
Hope this helps.

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to Your signature to help him on his way to world domination.</div>
Sith-Avenger is offline                         Send a private message to Sith-Avenger
Old 05-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Just in case... The copy protection will seriously mess up the game if you give the wrong answer at the jolly rogers identification. The game will deteriorate rapidly until the graphics and just about everything else is totally smashed up. I don't know about cracks, though.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Make sure that you answer right as MM says. Besides, I remeber that back when I used Win98 to run this game in my old computer it crashed at random times. It wasn't common but it was annoying because you can't save except when at a city. The most funny thing is that in my real DOS partition it wouldn't even start, and now that I use DOSBox it goes smooth as silk without crashes. I'd say this game can do funny things.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Scatty
Treasure hunter

QUOTE(Japofran @ Aug 6 2006, 04:44 AM) [snapback]246933[/snapback]
Quote:
The most funny thing is that in my real DOS partition it wouldn't even start, and now that I use DOSBox it goes smooth as silk without crashes. I'd say this game can do funny things.
[/b]
That's probably because there was not enough free conventional memory (the 600KB part). The game needs at least 590KB free to start if I remember correctly.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
lmcjaho

I downloaded this game the other day and first let me say thanks Abandonia - I used to play this game for days when it was first released and I was extremely happy to find it here.

Unfortunately, I also downloaded the Manual and the Map, but I do not see the Captain's Broadsheet anywhere, and said document has the breakdown of which key does what, so without it I don't know how to do a few important things like command both groups (or switch between them) in a land combat situation so I am forced to try and make a run for the fort with the group I default command, hopefully getting there before my other group is slaughtered due to my inability to command them...

On an equally frustrating note, has anyone else experienced a problem during sea combat where your ship seems almost 100% unresponsive to a turn command?

Old 17-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Please do not resurect old threads from the death. Also, your questions should be posted in Favorite Oldies and Newbies since they are not Troubleshooting related.
Closed Thread