Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #31
FreeFreddy

Though the higher spells are without doubt very useful and effective, the low-level spells are also good enough, I guess they will do they part in Baldur's Gate 1. Magic missile, summon skeleton, acid arrow and like them, they're also good enough for low enemies in Baldur's Gate 1.

Old 24-01-2005, 01:44 AM   #32
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

They're the only ones available, and in my opinion, they're better balanced against melee and ranged weapons in BG1. In BG2, you reach a point where you have spells that let you create doubles of yourself, then stop time, then cast spells--both of you--then create more doubles, etc. It all becomes a bit overwhelming for me. But I admit, I still prefer the fantastic dialog, the multiple paths, the long quests and stronger writing of BG2. -Again, just my point of view. The sad thing is that the franchise was allowed to wither by Interplay after Bioware accepted other deals. I can't help wondering if Interplay might have rehired some of the good programmers they fired from BIS, whether they might not have turned out a really good BG3.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 24-01-2005, 04:30 AM   #33
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

I don't think there should be a BG3... The story of Baldur's Gate was over with ToB.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 24-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #34
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

The story ends for the main character, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But who said that another character couldn't come along, say, 20 years later, with a different story in the same area? Perhaps running into one or two of your old character's NPC companions, now acting as a questgiver. Or even receiving quests from your old character.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 24-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #35
Jwh Dar

I must admit something. BG series is, for me, the best game ever. I haven't stopped playing for years now and I practicaly live in Amn. Currently I'm playing 2 paralel campaigns - a solo and a full party. I don't even remember how many times I started a new game, but it's at least 70-80 times. With tons of mods and it's replaying value it never gets boring.
It's hard to compare BG1 and BG2. You must play both and decide for you.
Talking about the BGtutu mod (and it's called that because it makes BG one transfer to BG two settings), it now works with few bugs and is great for one who wants to play the whole saga from the start. The only problem is that it could make BG1 a little bit too easy if using BG2 class kits and features like dual-wielding and some other abilities.
When installing mods for BG2 me sure to use the right order to avois screwing your game:
BG2
TOB expansion
TOB patch
Baldurdash fixpack
non-weidu mods
weidu mods - they can be installed in whatever order you like

I suggest using weidu mods and avoiding non-weidu.

If you want to play BG1 with BGtutu mod you must install both BG1&2 and follow the instructions.

I wish you happy adventuring. k:
Jwh Dar is offline                         Send a private message to Jwh Dar
Old 25-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #36
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin@Jan 24 2005, 04:47 AM
The story ends for the main character, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. But who said that another character couldn't come along, say, 20 years later, with a different story in the same area? Perhaps running into one or two of your old character's NPC companions, now acting as a questgiver. Or even receiving quests from your old character.
Better to start a new series set in Faerun that could have a few references to Baldur's Gate or share a few characters. I'm sick of the Sword Coast and the countries near it. Hell, perhaps dust off the Infinity Engine and make a game in the Dalelands? Why not even a different AD&D campaign setting, even a cancelled one such as Dark Sun?
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt