Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #161
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

For posting images:
Upload your image to Imageshack or Photobucket or some site like that, then use the link you get there when posting here.
From what I see there, you tried to upload an image from your pc to this forum, and that won't work.

About the Download: This game has a "NO GO" icon instead of a download icon. That means the game is protected and can't be downloaded. Sorry.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #162
drgreenbaumberg

Allright, thanks for your help.

I found it on another source.
drgreenbaumberg is offline                         Send a private message to drgreenbaumberg
Old 24-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #163
drgreenbaumberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggie View Post
Got my Fantasy General up and runnin' with Dosbox. Now, everything goes smoothly up until it's time to get into real action. When I've placed my units and it's time to go (i.e. when I click End Placement button), the game crashes and sends me back to the Dosbox command prompt. The message displayed is somewhat like this:

DOS 4GW professional error (2001): exception 01h (debug exception) at 180:000..
and so on.

I'm running Dosbox version 0.72. I've tried to tweak the sound settings, didn't have any effect. But somehow I'm quite sure this has nothing to do with sound..

Anyone outhere have any idea what's going on?
Hello, it´s me again. Got the same problem using Windows Vista and the newest DOSBox (0.72).
Here´s what I see after finishing the army-placement (or after turn one or two, sometimes it even works up to five turns, but then crashes)

I tried to use dos4gw 1.97, but there´s no dos4gw.exe I could replace. Just running dos4gw anyway didn´t help...
drgreenbaumberg is offline                         Send a private message to drgreenbaumberg
Old 24-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #164
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Try an older version of dosbox.

I dont known why but for some reason i got two versions of dosbox and never use the one that appears on you pic.
Old 18-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #165
drgreenbaumberg

Problem solved, I revived my old XP-system, works fine without DOSBox.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #166
Solomanio
Default Multple drives?

Hi guys,
I sold all my old CDs before relocating overseas but for certain games, like Fantasy General, I created an image. I didn't think to check if it would work with magic-iso. Now the file mounts fine but the game wont install as it only looks at the D: drive (my cdRom is the J: drive).

Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

P.S. is there anywhere I can buy an electronic version of the game (as in no cd). Fantasy Wars has got me interested in playing Fantasy General again.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #167
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yes, to get around this problem simply change the letter of the emulated drive.
If you have a D: drive, you'll have to also change its' letter.

Quote:
P.S. is there anywhere I can buy an electronic version of the game (as in no cd). Fantasy Wars has got me interested in playing Fantasy General again.
Not as far as we know. It's in fact on the queque of games due to be unprotected.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #168
solomani

Thanks for that. How does the whole unprotected thing work? Why are some games available and others not? Its just an age thing?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #169
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Short version:

Some companies decide their old titles aren't worth looking after once they've stopped supporting it, other companies are more reluctant to let their titles go. And: Some company first decide a game isn't worth any attention, then re-decide that they want to "withdraw it" from the abandonware scene. Note the quotation marks here as the abandonware "scene" isn't really an actual scene, legal-wise.

Anyway, as a result: Some game that was abandoned is suddenly re-protected (these are the games you find here that says NO GO).

As for age: According to a deal we made with the ESA, their members' games are off-limits for 15 years, others have a 10 years limit. But nothing is carved in stone. Some games have unlimited protection while some are unprotected before they're "officially" abandoned.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #170
laiocfar
NOD Commander

The worst is when a company buy a game´s license to study the chance of a remake or a second part