Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #211
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Regarding Fantasy Wars: Wargames converted to 3D perspective lose something in terms of "battlefield awareness". Stuff is usually zoomed in to show all the graphical bells&whistles. Top-down hex view or even isometric view allowed for easy range assessment, perspective distorts everything. This comment also applies to recent Settlers or new strategic map in Total War series and so on...

Fantasy General is probably my favorite in the 5-star-general series. I'm a self-taught military history buff, so I always had some problems with simplifications of Panzer/Allied/Pacific General, mainly regarding scale and units. You know, that "a unit of only AT guns defending whole city" thing. No such cases in more serious wargames like V for Victory.

Here we have a banner of knights, centaurs or Elven bowmen and tactical scale, so it makes more sense - despite fantastic setting, go figure! Also liked how wounds can make defeated units return to battle in just one turn - you have to be constantly on the offensive, never letting the enemy to fall back and regroup.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 29-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #212
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Regarding Fantasy Wars: Wargames converted to 3D perspective lose something in terms of "battlefield awareness". Stuff is usually zoomed in to show all the graphical bells&whistles. Top-down hex view or even isometric view allowed for easy range assessment, perspective distorts everything. This comment also applies to recent Settlers or new strategic map in Total War series and so on...
I found FW on a sale and decided to buy it. Haven't played it yet, though, still in middle of playing other games.

Quote:
Here we have a banner of knights, centaurs or Elven bowmen and tactical scale, so it makes more sense - despite fantastic setting, go figure! Also liked how wounds can make defeated units return to battle in just one turn - you have to be constantly on the offensive, never letting the enemy to fall back and regroup.
Yes, that's so true. I remember getting desperate to finish off those units that would have only a few members remaining (and most of those missing wounded), so they couldn't come back and fight in the next turn, to the point where I would send my fliers against them or put my own unit into danger (hoping for it to get away only wounded). And those monsters with multiple wounds (like Lionman) were the worst.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #213
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Quote:
I prefer 2D as well, but in Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy they did a good enough job on the graphics, there is no problem with any assessment.
Aside from graphics, which we abandonw(e)arers normally disregard anyway, I think they improved the game alot from the original,this year I have played both Fantasy General and the news ones extensively and think the new versions are much better.
Terrain is more important, the units are more interesting and diverse, the scenarios are a huge improvement over the rather bland FG ones.
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 30-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #214
sergente

For you guys FG fans, what do you think about Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy? I haven't played those yet. Game reviews are not so good. I'm an FG fan, should I get these two games?
I'd like to know any opinions, thanks.

Last edited by sergente; 30-09-2011 at 06:21 AM.
sergente is offline                         Send a private message to sergente
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #215
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Umm they are awesome, sergente, as I have been describing in the post right before yours and in another one 5 posts above that^^
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 19-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #216
HermitFromPluto

Fantasy General is one of my top five games of all time. Every couple of years, I find myself playing it through again. I showed my wife the game and she played it through as well!!!!
HermitFromPluto is offline                         Send a private message to HermitFromPluto
Old 21-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #217
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitFromPluto View Post
I showed my wife the game and she played it through as well!!!!
..wait: a wife who plays old hex & turn-based strategy games?
WHERE DID YOU FIND HER?

RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 21-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #218
HermitFromPluto

Quote:
..wait: a wife who plays old hex & turn-based strategy games?
WHERE DID YOU FIND HER?

I do consider myself a lucky guy!!! She loves RPGs as well. (I have to admit, I was surprised when she got addicted to this game)
HermitFromPluto is offline                         Send a private message to HermitFromPluto
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #219
Pangolin9999

Has anyone had any luck getting the Gem Polish editor to work, even within DOSShell or similar programs? I assume the W7 architecture is baffling the program in finding MAGEQUIP.DAT and the .SAV files.

I just want to see what kinds of wackiness one can come up with to start a game. In effect, I want to create more 'classes' of characters with which to play the game. The four champions they give you are fine, of course, but I crave yet more variety!
Pangolin9999 is offline                         Send a private message to Pangolin9999
Old 26-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #220
Pex
Game Wizzard

More variety in the champions would be cool

On another note, I finally got around to play Fantasy Wars and I loved it. I'm gonna write more about it in a separate topic once I get a chance.