Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Abandoned Times Issue #3 Discussion

Right-click and select "Save link as" to download the PDF on your HDD and read the magazine in the best quality.

Greetings! Almost four years have passed since we published the second issue of Abandoned Times, and that seemed such an achievement! Now, against all odds, we present you a very wild, rabid THIRD issue of the magazine. The process of making it was plagued by many problems, including the lack of content and of an active editor / designer, but in the end we made it through. I hope you'll enjoy the read!

What are your thoughts about the new Abandoned Times issue? Suggestions? Favourite article? Discuss here!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quick question: why not have hyperlinks in the all this index numbers?

---later---
While I totally agree with facts beyond PC fall and rise, I believe, their interpretation is wrong right from the "2000s", and progressively declines from the truth up to the "current". PC was chocked not because their hadn't dedicated audience: it chocked because game market abandoned this dedicated audience, inclined to console audience - casual and simple - and most of sales, logically enough, went to this consoles in result. When someone - Kickstarter - offered games for real PC audience, it resulted in sudden, but predicable boom.
---even later---
While I had not much good moments with Ben There, Dan That, but Time Gentlemen, Please! is surprisingly good - especially surprisingly after first short and quite nonsensical game. I believe, it could be mentioned in the review...

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 08-08-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Quick question: why not have hyperlinks in the all this index numbers?
If you mean the contents page, you must click on the title of the article, not the page number. It's a bit counterintuitive, but that's how I did it in the 2nd issue as well, so for consistency's sake I left it like that.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

All I can say is: Holy crap. It's actually finished.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
All I can say is: Holy crap. It's actually finished.
Yep, now we can boast of having published almost all of the articles written for Abandoned Times.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

It looks quite awesome. I got disillusioned when my contribution for the first issue lay unused for months, before several staff changes, but I must say the results of all issues have not compromised quality... however small the public may be, too bad!! Props to TA and the rest!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #7
BentleyVA
Abandonia nerd

I like to think it is because of communities like ours that places like GOG and Steam seem to flourish. True they have stolen a lot of our thunder, but they have also been able to provide games for more modern systems to let a newer generation (and some of us old farts) play the great games from yesteryear. Magazines like this show that some of us still care.
BentleyVA is offline                         Send a private message to BentleyVA
Old 11-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
BostonGeorge
Game freak

I have to admit that I have not read it yet because of ... time and work issues (well I printed it out already).
But what I have to say is, that I really, really appreciate your work and your effort doing this and still spending time for my beloved Abandonia.

Thank you.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Yep, now we can boast of having published almost all of the articles written for Abandoned Times.
This was unexpected, but I'm really happy to see that you made it guys.
A little miracle I would say, isn't it?

I'm really curious about AMIGA section, my first love
Old 12-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
euricog

Default Dudes, turn it into income!

Hey guys,

I'm a long time user although I'm not active in the community. But as soon as I finished reading the new issue I had to reach out to you.

First, issue is very good. I (and the whole community, I suppose) really appreciate all the effort put into it. The same goes to the previous issues.

Now moving straight to the point: this site depends on its visitors to generate traffic and income from ads (sorry, I use adblock - there are too many ads). Nowadays, most traffic comes from social networks and search engines. To be ranked higher on search engines, and therefore receive more web traffic, sites must have unique content. Abandonia has mostly game pages, which is a type of content that's very hard to become unique. Now, Abandonia Times has incredible unique content - such as the interviews - and search engine crawlers are always eager to collect and index this content.

Bottom line is: the magazine should be available as HTML pages on the site, allowing it to be crawled by search engines, which in turn will generate more search results for Abandonia and consequently more traffic. More traffic = more ad income. More income = more Abandonia.

Hope you understand, it's killing me to see such an opportunity being wasted.
euricog is offline                         Send a private message to euricog