Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Introductions, Farewells and Returns
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2016, 04:15 AM   #11
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Lol. Yeah I do remember that confusion. That was interesting times.

I never did get my laptop back. The issue wasn't that we lost a lot of unpublished reviews (although that did suck immensely). The main issue was that my computer had all the passwords and backend access points to Abandonia's server, the Reloaded server, as well as some other sites that Kosta and I worked on - including personal information for myself and others. I had a bunch of access to a lot of information, and that could easily be misused by someone.

As a result, we had to ban my account, and start redoing a lot of security features, while getting me back into the game again.

The positive outcome of this was that security was improved across the board, but also this sparked the initiative to have daily updates. I felt so bad for all the reviews and future updates that were lost, that I went into hyper-drive and mass produces reviews and updates to fill up the server. This inspired others to do the same, and thus the daily updates were born.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

o_o shite Tom good to see you by Jove!!

You know it's been long when I am an admin now. I wonder if you remember me as a user or updater or from AR after so long. To clarify some of Marko's updates...

It's now a different Swedish company, Abovo. Studentis went apparently bust and Abandonia must have been bought out instead of scrapped (fortunately I guess), not that we got much information about that. Same old, but at least these people answer emails, and fix some things if they notice the water from the engine room reaching the passenger's necks :P

I'm sure Horseman will post as soon as he sees this... actually I'll irc him right now. He and Lulu are now as big lurkers as Titan, but still around. Dave has been in indefinite absence for... a couple of years? His being nominally head honcho was some kind of armistice appointment from Romano if I cared to recall correctly (so no comment there... but the dissident drama is finally over for good) and well it's also the fact that Dave was working so much for the site, he is the best guy 1st of all. EOF resigned from Troubleshooting moderation long ago -- there Spectre and I were in charge though I think he's likely forgotten it again :P

Updates are slow because of lack of work and because they involve even more manual work now than back in your days and the "new" website is full of bugs (and "full" is not a figure of speech here). The avatars were lost during the Apocalypse when Kosta remade the website with Studentis. Once a year or so we like to idly discuss big plans (just check the admin and updaters' boards) about how to fix everything. Well the current owners respond to our emails so we could propose something if we wanted.

I expect this appearance of yours to make a couple of old lurkers pop their heads out :-) And I will check your website later!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #13
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
there Spectre and I were in charge though I think he's likely forgotten it again :P
Well, you know everything about me in charge. ;P Mostly that I am here, but rarely can intervene for good - so usually pass it by. I remove spam when I see it though.

Quote:
Well the current owners respond to our emails so we could propose something if we wanted.
I remind then that Famous Tag Bug is still here and kicking. So feel free to remind about it to the owners.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Of course I remember you, Japo. It's nice to see that you are still around, and that you have moved up in the ranks.

It seems like a lot of things have changed, but at the same time a lot of things have stayed the same.

I wish that I could help you guys out with server issues and so on, but when the ownership changed, so did everything else. I don't have access to anything anymore.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

We have no server issues, we're golden we can host full CD images directly now, it runs fast and smooth (finally)... Only problem is the website coded on this server is a pile of **** :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I remind then that Famous Tag Bug is still here and kicking. So feel free to remind about it to the owners.
They're now busy checking why users aren't able to get verification emails to change your email or password... Actually they're busy with whatever other backend maintenance issues and will look into this afterwards. Later if they do fix it I can tell them about the tags, if that's the highest priority.

Last edited by Japo; 01-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 01-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

Well, can't say I'm active on the forum, but when such a legend returns you just have to say "Hi!".

In all honesty my first thought was that some funny guy or gal necro'd some old thread of Tom's.

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 02-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #17
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Hey Tom. Good to see you again.

Shame you can't access Reloaded forums properly, would love to see you (and Tai) over there again. But yeah, it's pretty much a mess now. Abovo are not exactly helpful to Reloaded. When they first took over, I asked them SO MANY times to fix things, or give us access to fix things, but my emails pretty much went unanswered. So in the end, I gave up asking.
Reloaded is basically the unwanted child.
As well as that, they took away access to the server, so we can't store games\reviews on the server anymore, like we used to. Can't tell you how annoying that is! AB are lucky in that respect - they have huge space on the server.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 02-03-2016, 04:26 AM   #18
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yeah. That's what I meant with the server issues. AB is fine, but AR is banging their heads against the wall.

And, Branjo, your post just made me laugh out loud. Yeah, I guess I kinda necro'ed myself.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

We can try writing about the issues of both AR and AB together in case it could get Abovo's attention better. Although in case AR gives less income I'm sure that's all they care about, together with what takes the minimal effort to fix... But we can try.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:31 AM   #20
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Henrik View Post
So... hello everyone.

Wow. A lot of things have happened here since the last time I came this way. For all of those who have no idea who I am (which is probably 90% of the forum members), my name is Tom Henrik, and I was one of the most active members of Abandonia back in its hayday. This is still evident by the fact that even after all these years of being absent, I still have one of the highest forum post counts. Heh.

Anyways, I decided to crawl back onto the scene and check things out. I intend to stick around for a while, so I look forward to getting to know a lot of you, and hopefully run into some other old relic from Abandonia's past.

Edit:
Wow. Still have my Staff access.
Oh. That guy is back again. Yay for the site. I guess. You used to kick ass of people left and right back then... literally. Wouldn't be that much surprised if you'd start with that sometime soon, again.
Aaberg used to be a different Norwegian user back in the days, didn't stay active for long, though. Most of the old, though comparably "younger" staff like Sebatianos and Data, were banned long time ago, as well, due to their "dissident" thing going on, when they supposedly tried to bring Kosta back to control of the site. Things used to be rather turbulent around here, once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
Most of people you might remember are long gone, the ones you disliked included To be fair, it is still visited a lot, but forum part not so much.

Dave used to be in charge, backed up by 5th Horseman... if you remember those two that is. I think Dave is still in charge actually although he's not around. Who else is around that you might remember...? Japo, Frodo, Mighty Midget... Eagle of Fire is in charge of Troubleshooting, still active.
I'd be surprised if he mentioned the smurf's closest-running contender for the post counts, back then, in ye olde days. Before he removed that competition, that is.

Last edited by Scatty; 03-03-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty