Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best HoM&M game?
Heroes of Might & Magic 1 3.03%
Heroes of Might & Magic II 7 21.21%
Heroes of Might & Magic III 18 54.55%
Heroes of Might & Magic IV 4 12.12%
Heroes of Might & Magic V 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
Pex
Game Wizzard

Default The Best Heroes of Might & Magic Game

I thought to save the other thread from being hijacked, but also to encourage some nice discussion. I didn't include King's Bounty in the poll, although it was a predecessor of the series - let's keep it HoM&M clean

Also, I would encourage everyone to post their opinion why they find a certain game the best of all, like what does it have that the others don't and stuff like that. When making a choice, please take into account all official expansions as the part of the game, not a separate game altogether.

Finally, everyone is entitled to an opinion, so if someone thinks that HoM&M1 is the best part in the series, you may disagree, but that doesn't mean that either is wrong. Opinion in this case is a very subjective thing.
Old 28-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
ianfreddie07
wat

Pex,

I presume you're the one who voted on HoMM5.

Super Pro Gamer meanwhile voted HoMM4.

I voted for HoMM3. It's epic. The best implementation of the Heroes formula. It gets even better with the In The Wake of The Gods expansion.
Old 28-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I voted for HoMM 3. That game is just perfect in every aspect: gorgeous graphics, amazing soundtrack, varied and balanced sides, etc.

But my true favorite will always be HoMM2, cause that's the one I played a lot when I was "little".

I remember I once managed to recruit some ghosts and 10 minutes later I had 300 of them

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 28-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

My vote goes to Heroes 3. As Ian already mentioned, the Heroes 3 Complete, which includes WoG, is as good as Heroes can get. Good units, good heroes, and a lot of options to customize your game. And it has a lot of things that was implemented in Heroes 4 like units can move on their own and things. Those were actually the improvements of the fourth game I liked.

But Heroes 4 was seriously flawed in my opinion. And the flaws were exactly the abundance of RPG elements. The heroes, of whom you could have more then one in your group, were so seriously owerpowered at times, that they made armies unnecessary, in thus defeating the purpose of your cities. And before someone attacks, yes I did play it, I played it for quite some time, Heroes being one of the major hotseat timespenders in the dorm I lived in. And yes, a friend of mine created a hero that didn't need armies to clean up the map. Actually it was a band of heroes: a fighter that can take down 3-4 dragons at once, an elemental mage guy, and a summoner. Besides them, I think he only had 4 or 5 Phoenixes in the group. And that was the major letdown for me in that game. That, and the abysmal music
Old 28-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
I remember I once managed to recruit some ghosts and 10 minutes later I had 300 of them
How did you manage that one? As far as I know they always attack, no matter the army's strength or level of diplomacy.

Anyway my favourite is also Heroes of Might and Magic III, it has it everything in my opinion that's used there. The special abilities of the units are working better / more often and the units themselves look better than in HoMM II, and the devil's faction makes for a pretty interesting campaign. In HoMM IV the mood and setting are a letdown I think, together with much worse monotonous music. However the units look better and their abilities are even better used in HoMM 4, however it doesn't suffice to make it up to HoMM III for me.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 28-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Pex
Game Wizzard

Yes, I was the one that voted for HoM&M5, but I didn't want to write my reasons before someone else posts. I wanted to keep the actually 'poll' post clean of my personal opinion, while at the same time I didn't want to double post

To start with, I never played HoM&M1. I know it's on the site and available, but I never got around to play it.

HoM&M2 was one of the first games on CD that I've ever bought and I enjoyed it very much. One of the faults about the game would be only two campaigns and what was interesting, I found the evil brother's campaign (Alaric?) quite easier that Roland's. The other fault in the game was a certain misbalance in the units available for different cities. If I remember correctly, once you got a few dozen Vampire Lords, all you needed to do was attack weak creatures and keep getting more and more VLs until no one could hurt you anymore. Also, Barbarian cities would get quite average Cyclopes comparing to Wizard Titans as their highest tier creature.

HoM&M3 was simply magnificent. It offered diversity with two different heroes that you could train in each type of the cities, more campaigns that were actually connected one way or another, possibility for your heroes to progress from one campaign to the next and a feeling of a quite an epic story going on. Faults? Well, there were quite a few missions where all you needed to do was win one main battle, where you crush the bulk of the enemy forces, and after that it was just a matter of time until your heroes reach the objectives and conquer them. Another fault was that in spite the fact that you could move some of your heroes to the next mission of the campaign, sometimes there was simply not enough experience within the mission for them to reach the top level. That often meant that you had to wait and hope that 'a year of this or that creature' would arrive and bring some more enemies for you to kill. Also, I remember often waiting in front of the last city I need to conquer (with enough forces to conquer it) while every one of my heroes goes and visit every shrine or arena or tower or whatever is it that increases abilities. Makes the end bit of the mission a bit boring. Although there were many various skills to learn, some of them were quite useless imo (like Eagle's Eye) and pretty much all my heroes were eventually learn pathfinding and logistics, one or two spell schools and the rest would've been random or more often those they were starting with anyway.

HoM&M4 was something different. It's not uncommon for companies to try and 'spice up' the series a bit in order to bring something new and not just expansion pack with better graphics and a few more options. In this case they decided to make your heroes able to participate directly in the battles, which again made it possible for you to make an army that will have heroes only in it. To be honest, I liked this option. It gave certain RPG element to the series. I also like the way the battles looked, especially sieges. But I have to admit that I felt that the idea of the HoM&M was somehow 'violated' (in the lack of better word) with that decision. That was even more pronounced by allowing common units to travel around without a hero - something that really bothered me. Another thing I didn't like was misbalance. In the first mission in the campaign, your success often depended only on luck (as in whether or not you'll encounter an enemy hero before you're strong enough). Then after a few missions and heaps of experience for your main heroes, they would turn into almost unstoppable killing machines that could defeat anyone. Yet, you could still lose one in the fight against a dozen genies for example, when they cast a spell on you, so you would just avoid that fight. I also didn't like the fact that you had to choose between two units to build for higher tiers in each city. That meant that you had to have at least two cities in order to build a versatile army, but then again, there were some units that I would never choose anyway, because the other one was always better. Like in the previous part, there were again missions with not enough experience to max up all of your heroes. They also tried to add more variety to your heroes, so depending on the skills you choose they would evolve into a new class, but again due to the fact that some of the skills were very useful while the others were useless, you would never get some classes for your heroes (unless you do it on purpose and with a desire for self punishment )

But there were good things about the game as well. Campaigns were interesting and there were many side quests that you sometimes had to do to progress in the campaign, but at other times you could choose not to do them (though pass up on some treasure that way). But the option I liked the most was 'caravan' building which you could use to faster move troops from one city to another or recruit from 'creature building' on the map without visiting them.

HoM&M5 discarded most of the novelties that the previous part brought. Again you needed a hero to lead your armies and again you couldn't have more than one in a single army. Although they could choose direct attack instead of casting spells during the combat, it couldn't compare with the complete involvement in the combat like it the HoM&M4. Your heroes (or enemy ones for that matter) couldn't be targeted in the combat, for example. Someone said that this was the same game as HoM&M3, only with better graphics, but imo it's much more. The flaws I mentioned for number 3 still exist to a certain level, but are not as bad. Campaigns are very good, with nice variety between the missions - one may be classic 'build your city and then crush the enemy' but the next one is a race against time, then another one asks of you just to reach the other end of the map without conquering a single city or fighting a single enemy hero. There is again a lot of side quests, and some you can decide to solve one way or another. Every creature that you can recruit in a city has its upgraded version that often has very different abilities to the previous one and not just better stats. Sometimes, with the upgrade you lose something the original creature had (for example, once you upgrade your peasants to conscripts, you don't get 1gp per peasant per turn anymore). Selection of creatures and their abilities was done very well and is also well balanced, so neither city type has an obvious advantage.

Skills are also improved with many useless ones eliminated. Each class now has skills typical for that class only. Depending on your preferences you can choose different path for some high level skills. I have to admit here, though, that there are still skills that I prefer much to the other.

The only fault in this part comparing to the previous two is that again (like in part 2) you can have only one type of hero per city. I guess it's just makes it a bit less versatile.

And because of everything I've said above, I choose HoM&M5.
Old 28-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
The other fault in the game was a certain misbalance in the units available for different cities. If I remember correctly, once you got a few dozen Vampire Lords, all you needed to do was attack weak creatures and keep getting more and more VLs until no one could hurt you anymore.
That was the case with the Ghosts who gained one unit for every killed single number in one unit. But there was no way to normally get those ghosts into your army also as far as I know, aside of putting them into your army via the level editor.
The Vampire Lords get resurrected up to their unit number they had prior to the battle when they slay enemy units, but they don't get more than their original unit amount for killing enemies. Still pretty powerful units.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 28-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
That was the case with the Ghosts who gained one unit for every killed single number in one unit. But there was no way to normally get those ghosts into your army also as far as I know, aside of putting them into your army via the level editor.
The Vampire Lords get resurrected up to their unit number they had prior to the battle when they slay enemy units, but they don't get more than their original unit amount for killing enemies. Still pretty powerful units.
If what you said is true, then most likely I used the level editor. I don't remember though, it was a LOOOONG time ago.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 28-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The Price of Loyalty expansion added a new map dwelling type - "Barrows" - from which you could recruit Ghosts.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Panthro
Man of Science

I prefer HOMAM2.

Just found it easy to jump in and play a scenario, and the graphics are still easy on the eye (sprites > 3D!). It has quite good balance between the different types of cities, so you never feel gimped if you start with the "wrong" one.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro