Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-11-2004, 03:47 AM   #1
auhsor
Super Freak

Well I have been composing some music. I actually started about a year or so ago composing them on the computer using Guitar Pro. They are only midi files, so they might not sound that great, but we are all fans of old games, so I don't think that matters. Except that it might sond different on you soundcard than mine, where I made it.

So here we go... (You might need to right click and choose Save As)

Random Melodies
This it the first one I completed. I did it quite a while ago, so looking back I would have done things different. I still want to make it better.

Rhythmic Streams
I did this a while ago too. I really liked it when I started it, but then I sorta lost inspiration, and just cut and pasted stuff together so I could finish it. :whistle: You can probably tell it gets a bit repetative.

River Through Your Heart
I started writing this about a week or two ago. It just sort of fleed from my guitar onto the computer. I'm quite proud of it, and I want to put words to it, but I want to get it pefected tho, so comments would be most welcome.

So yeah there you go. I hope you all enjoy them, but I would love to hear how I could make them better. That would be much appreciated.

Oh and I also have other songs that are half finished that I like, but they are half finished so yeah, you won't get to hear them just yet.
auhsor is offline                         Send a private message to auhsor
Old 10-11-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
Morrin
Underground

I'll listen them when I found my headphones.. darn headphones (Im in school where are no speakers). Im always intrested of fellow abandonia musicians. Maybe I should submit my own material someday..
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 10-11-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
FreeFreddy

Heh, same here, I'm at school now too.
Later, pal.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Morrin
Underground

Darn.. Didn't have a change today either.

I will listen them later! :angel:
Old 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
auhsor
Super Freak

Hehe, thats cool. Take your time. I've got some more songs on the way that I've been making too if you are interested.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm listening to River Through Your Heart and I think you've done a terrific job considering it's in midi format. Nice melody and rhythm. Interesting arrangement which creates a gentle, rather romantic feel. The guitar part is especially nice to listen to. I think the music would work well as a background to, say, a computer game. If you wanted to develop it a bit more, perhaps a counter-melody used throughout would unify the different elements and add more interest, e.g. a catchy bass riff, and/or midi choir voices to strengthen the melody line. If you want an awesome choir voice sound font let me know.

Very kewl, auhsor. k:

wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 14-11-2004, 12:58 AM   #7
auhsor
Super Freak

Thanks wendy Yeah I wanted that song to be soft and romantic sort of sounding. I'm glad that you noticed that. I actually wrote it with my girlfriend in mind . YOu are right in that I need to add like a counter melody/choir would work well at some parts. I'll try and work them in.

About the choir sound font you have... I don't know much about sound fonts at all. I did look for some info, and it seems they are new sounds for midi, but I don't know how to use them of if they work with my soundcard. I you can help, that would be great
Old 15-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #8
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

auhsor, there's a Yahoo list group for people who use cakewalk or sonar to compose digital music (or computer gen music) It's called Cakewalk and you can join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cakewalk/ It's probably the biggest music group at Yahoo. (I'm a mod there.)
In the archives you'll find a treasure of info about soundfonts, etc.
I've found it hard to find much info or tutorials about creating music on PCs, so everything I know I've learned through this list or figured out the hard way. I use a soundblaster live soundcard which has soundfont ability. A lot of new motherboards that have a sound chip incorporated come with programs that allow you to change the soundfonts used for midi music. When you can use your own soundfonts, the difference in sound is like night and day. Also I believe there's a program that enables people with sound cards other than soundblaster to change the fonts. More info is on the Cakewalk list archive. (The addie I've given above.)
There's a program - available on the Soundblaster site - called Vienna which enables you to make up your own soundfonts - from any wav file - or to make up your own soundfont bank....which you can use instead of a GM bank....or you can just change individual ones once you work out what card/chip you have and how it works.

If you'd like to pm me with you email addie, I'll send some fonts your way.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 16-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Morrin
Underground

Allright, here we go.

Random melodies

I don't know did you mean it to be so, but some of the instruments (two same instruments) that play in same time, play louder than with one same instrument alone. I don't know if I explained it clearly enough. I also don't know if this can be fixed in pure midi songs since I haven't ever done midi music.

But the song. Random melodies. Includes kind of various songs right? Pretty cool and atmospheric. When you do "simple" midi songs you have to be very good at composing and you are good in it. I don't know what to say but just that it's good!

ps. I liked the strings! k:

Rhythmic Streams

Somehow beginning of this song reminded me of transport tycoon. :blink: I just don't know but I didn't find much from this. Basically it's okay, but it doesn't have any kind of climax (or what ever it's called). A fast ending could be cool where drummer gets wild and amazing guitar solos end the song!

River through your heart

Oh no. Sounds like one of those soft romantic songs. But after beginning the song gets better with that electric guitar (I presume its electric guitar). Sounds like sixties. However there is one lacking thing: singing. Since you don't have singer you should have made a "singing melody". Now this is just kind of background music with mic off. Very good composing again however.

--

Im music maker myself too but Im not a superexpert and the language barrier blocks some thoughts. I hope that helps a bit. Maybe I submit some of my songs someday and you can have your revenge.

Good work!

--

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. What softwares do you use more than guitar pro? Have you used any of those non-midi programs.
Old 18-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #10
auhsor
Super Freak

Thanks for the link wendy. I will have a look at that. It looks very useful. I have heard of Cakewalk, I should check it out.

Thanks heaps for the comments Gekko. Its really good to have someone listen to your work and comment on it.
About Random Melodies...
Um I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the 2 instruments with different volumes at the same time. I have tried to have the instruments having different volumes to make it sound better.

Yeah, basicaly this was the first song I wrote, and I had many ideas in my head about parts of songs... so I just added them all in, and made one big song k:.

Heh with the strings, they are a last minute addition. I thought the song sounded a bit empty, and needed some depth.

About Rhythmic Streams:
Heh transport tycoon... well I've never played that game. Its funny cos on another board, a few people said that Random melodies sounded like it was from Castlevania, and I have never played that game either .
I agree that there is no climax... I will try and fix it up. I just sorta got bored with it.

River through your heart:
Hehe, yep one of those soft romantic songs... Well they are cool . I fully agree about the singing. I am planning on adding words, and hopefully some day recording a live version of it. When I get the vocal melody up and going, I will add that to the midid too.

Thanks again for your comments, they are really helpful.
Oh and I use Guitar Pro. Thats mainly cos I play guitar, and it quite easy to tab my music. About non-midi programs... well I really want to get into them to let my music get better. The problem is is that I don't know where to start. I'm not a big expert on music programs... I might check out Cakewalk.