Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I posted this on the http://archosfans.com/ forums but I do not believe anyone will read much less respond to it there so I thought I would post it here as well. You can read the news item this is a response to on the main page.

----------------

Hi Charbax, other members and the internetting public at large,

I would like to respond to your latest news about future Archos products. In this you make some claims as to where a next Archos product should head and expectations of future release dates.

quote------
We can from ArchosFans.com suggest that Archos should not forget to try and include a powerfull 3D chip and position the buttons on both sides of the touch screen which would enable Archos to more directly challenge Nintendo and Sony on the portable video games market.
end quote--

Archos can never and should never try to compete in the handheld console market. It should not do this for several reasons.
1] Archos is not a games company and has neither the expertese to develop games in house or the connections to companies that have that expertese. Mophun is nice but as Shane Brinkman-Davis put is in his review of the GMINI400 "The other major problem is Mophun doesn't have any really good games. ... They certainly aren't compelling games like you'll find on your gameboy and certainly not like PC, XBox or Playstation games.". Building up such expertise is too time consuming and frankly too expensive for a company such as Archos and would take away from the things it is currently market leader in (producing PMA's).

2] Archos market strategy is different from Sony's and Nintendo's. Archos aims to make money of the sale of it's devices (it cannot make money of anything else). Sony and Nintendo however lose more then two hundred dollars per sold unit and subsequently make outrages amounts selling the games for them. Archos could never keep up in this race and would do well to stay out something they no doubt no themselves.

This does not mean they should not add support for smaller games to their next generation AV model. The PMA models do not need it but those would benefit from a more powerfull processor that would allow linux games to be played.

quote------
We at ArchosFans.com believe that depending on the current demand for the Pma430 (according to reports worldwide demand for the Pma430 is huge), Archos should be able to release the next generation Pocket Media Assistant within 6 months.
end quote---

Very, VERY doubtfull. Developing the PMA430 cannot have been cheap and those cost need to be won back. Releasing a brand new product within six months to replace the PMA430 would make no sence. I also doubt it will take very much more then a year though. According to the reviews I have seen (I have not had the fortune to play with one myself yet) the PDA functionality is a bit lacking and those problems cannot all be solved by replacing software (the PMA is underpowered apparently).

I would like to end with a few list of features I would like to see in the next Archos products.

AV-series (without PDA functionality) wishes in order of importance.

1] VGA screen (I would be very much suprised if the next product where released without such a screen).
2] Better Battery life (The achilies heel of the Archos at present. Mentioned in ALL of its reviews)
3] More and better CODEC support (not all XVID versions seem to work and more importantly AC3 support is AWAL still)
4] Better recording (with better I do not just mean higher resolutions, although that would not hurt either. What I really want is better quality recordings and if at all possible smaller sized files with the no loss of quality)

PMA series (in adition to the above mentioned points)

1] More powerfull CPU. (It is insufficient to compete with current PDA's and as such not a replacement for the one I have now)
2] Bluetooth (I know USB host makes this supurflous to a certain extent but I do not like the idea that all my current bluetooth equipment is useless when I buy a Archos PMA especially as bluetooth use is becomming more prevalent rather then declining)
3] Better WiFi
4] Better standard programs (for the same reason as point 1
5] And for God sake lower the price! (€600 for the PMA430 is too much. The most High end PDA today is the iPaq HX4700 and that has a street price of just over €500. The PMA430 should drop well below that (€450 range) in order to be a good niche alternative)

This is as far as my rant goes for the moment, would like to hear peoples oppinion on this.

---------------------

Portable movie players are sort of a hoby of mine and Archos currently makes the best ones.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 07-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Never heard of Archos before...
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 07-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Ditto never heard of this program, but that was a good read though.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 07-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nice gadgets, but that site sure is ugly :P

Don't they make a very expensive hobby, these things?
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you buy them yes. I only have one (the AV320) but I am saving up for the AV420 which right now cost about €400.
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 07-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's way too much money....

Still like more my GBA and flash card... LOL
Old 07-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Right now I have to use my PDA with a flash card and that shows the limitations of that very well. Only 1GB of storage space is nothing when working with video. It is even not that much when working with audio and when you want to combine the two it impossible. Let alone the fact that you cannot record anything and PDA+1GB card is more expensive then the AV420 now is (but you have extra functionality as well) even a GBA + a good storage card is not cheap. €400 is a lot of money but you get a lot as well. If you think of the AV420 as a MP3 player with extra's then paying €50-€100 extra for it when compared to an Ipod with similar storage spaceis not a lot of money.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

GBA in my case was not that expensive.

$100.00 for GBA with 2 year warranty
$130.00 for 1Gb (note bit, not byte) flash cart

1Gb is equal to 128MB, so I ended up with small cart, but one that had some nice features. Cart that I got has actually 2 memory sets that I can use. 1Gb and 128Mb. Also non of that memory was used for cart's OS. 128Mb had instant access, while on 1Gb I can compress files, saving additional room.

Only what's limiting GBA and flash cart is what you can do with it:

* You can play back-ups of GBA games
* You can play emulators (GB, NES, GG, SMS work perfectly)
* You can convert music, and play music
* Pictures
* Text files in different formats

Not so great, but it satisfies my mobile needs.

Biggest down point is that writing to the cart is very slow.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That is still $230 (plus the price of at least one game) and the AV420 is about $350 in the US. Now the GBA and the AV420 are two different devices that are meant to do different things. For me the AV420 is a better choice as I do not like to play any of those games anyway someone else would make a different choice. It is good to live in a free country I suppose.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I agree.

I like to play old NES games, and it's much better to do it in living room then in the front of computer. (can't find NES console, oldest they sell here is DC)

I agree that those devices are nice, and idea is nice, but I believe that if they sell right, PSP might be next big media thing...