Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #31
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosta @ Mar 13 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]283449[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just one thing, we can't really just outright block all non-windows users with this. There has to be an alternative for them
[/b]
text file would be the best alternative for the non-windows crowd. because any DOS, Linux or Mac OS word processing program can open them. or a html file with the the message on it which would allow you a chance to hyperlink to the site as well since as far as i know, the majority if not all of the OS'es that are used have some kind of web browser that can open a basic html file.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 19-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #32
Taskmaster
Super Freak

k: Just an FYI, I am still waiting on this. My work load has increased as I have been assigned a new project, but I will still be able to squeeze this in, as needed. I replied to Maikel PM, but I have not heard back. No rush, just keeping all up-to-date.

Looking forward to helping Abandonia as best I can....

Old 20-03-2007, 07:42 AM   #33
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Sorry, busy here. Taskmaster, could you give me some basic info about the identifier. The pixel dimensions, what the limitations are graphically. Things I need to know when I create a graphic for it. I'll make sure I'll send you the stuff quickly.

Could you send it to Maikelkersbergen at hotmail dot com ? or in a PM?
thanks

Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 21-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #34
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Data @ Mar 13 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]283428[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If I get this right.
Include an executable into every archive which will show the abandonia logo when ran ?
So it's not obligatory to run that executable ?
[/b]
yeah uh... how does this actually work?!?! :blink: you have to click on it or what?

I mean wouldn't it be a lot better to have an installer? installer would provide easy install for everyone. as for mac and linux users they could still extract it as archive.

i mean why would someone want to click on that programme?

also isnt' it better to have it like in old dos games where you got a screen on beginning or end of game telling you which group cracked the game and so on... :blink:
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 22-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #35
Taskmaster
Super Freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Mar 21 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]284454[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
yeah uh... how does this actually work?!?! :blink: you have to click on it or what?

also isnt' it better to have it like in old dos games where you got a screen on beginning or end of game telling you which group cracked the game and so on... :blink:
[/b]
To do an intro program, that displays then launches the game, requires that you write that code each time with the specific file to run. Or at the least requires a little "data" file that has to be changed for each and every game. That is a lot of effort, as is the installer.

This program is equivalent to the old fashioned "run-me" files or even a DIZ. Some people will see it and some won't. There doesn't seem to be a "silver bullet" here... This is just one way to do what was desired... letting folks who obtained an Abandonia download from another source potentially see that we are here.

This is a decent solution to the issue, working for over 80% of the folks (80-20 rule), and only requires additional work one time (coding it and updating the ZIPs).

Old 23-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #36
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kosta @ Mar 13 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]283449[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just one thing, we can't really just outright block all non-windows users with this. There has to be an alternative for them
[/b]
I could Qbase something funny like a launcher... just tell me the what, where, contents and how it should look... this should compensate for the DOS/Win3.11 users (although they are on the endangered species list.)
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 24-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #37
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

And Linux?
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #38
mika
Games Master

Why not just create a nice ASCII art file which people can read on all systems? A runnable exe seems like overkill to me...

Also, the ASCII art would look far more retro
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #39
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

did you check my posts in this topic? =P (#25)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #40
mika
Games Master

You said that it should be the archive comment; I meant that we don't need an executable at all- just a normal abandonia.txt file or something like that.
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika