Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Am I wrong, or did the title of this thread suddenly change into "is Diablo an RPG?"?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #22
Kreepah
Game freak

Oh yeah how could i forget some of these. I used to have baldurs gate 1 and 2, and ive got fallout 1 but have yet to try it. I heard nothing but good things of Planescape: Torment, is that baldurs gate style? definitely a title ill look into. Frodo i havent tried any except flight of the amazon queen, i got to try them. Hamster of Doom Whats Never Winter Nights like? Never heard of Arx Fatalis, can you tell me a bit about it. Ive got Xcom but dont know how to play it exactly. Eagle of Fire i dont believe i played of any of those strategies except The settlers, ill keep those in mind, are they abandonware?. Troop tell me a bit about arcanum, ive heard thats really good from a few sources. Dont know what ToEE is and i reckon ill look up metal heart.

Id say diablo II is a cross genre (action with rpg elements) although its a highly debated topic... as this thread is living proof too. Some people have dubbed it a strategy which i never really got.

Thanks for the replys everybody.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kreepah @ Jun 11 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]235903[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh yeah how could i forget some of these. I used to have baldurs gate 1 and 2, and ive got fallout 1 but have yet to try it. I heard nothing but good things of Planescape: Torment, is that baldurs gate style? definitely a title ill look into. Frodo i havent tried any except flight of the amazon queen, i got to try them. Hamster of Doom Whats Never Winter Nights like? Never heard of Arx Fatalis, can you tell me a bit about it. Ive got Xcom but dont know how to play it exactly. Eagle of Fire i dont believe i played of any of those strategies except The settlers, ill keep those in mind, are they abandonware?. Troop tell me a bit about arcanum, ive heard thats really good from a few sources. Dont know what ToEE is and i reckon ill look up metal heart.

Id say diablo II is a cross genre (action with rpg elements) although its a highly debated topic... as this thread is living proof too. Some people have dubbed it a strategy which i never really got.

Thanks for the replys everybody.
[/b]
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (click this link for Gspot's info)

It's practically the best RPG there ever is (You decide nearly everything. The only thing that can be missing is your vocal abilities and an eating system.). The game is set in the late XIXth century in a place called (well...) Arcanum. The game's world is a huge continent by that name full of cities, their outskirts, a few islands and secret areas. It's simply like this - "free! I can go anywhere!". The lands are rules by magic and technology, you can choose to dazzle in any one of them or belong to both. You can choose from all kinds of races and such things. It's even too great for words. Just play it.
P.S. The game has multiplayer, but it's very tricky to make it work. I'm still confused about how it works, but try singleplayer - it's the awesomest story you could get. I finished it in about a month of intense playing. Worth every buck (doesn't cost much - I got it for 6$) and is even more worth the time. 2D rules in this one.

The Temple of Elemental Evil (click this link for Gspot's info)

This is another game from Troika (the creators of Arcanum). It's a game set in the world of Greyhawk. It features the best graphics I've seen in any RPG (Arcanum's is aristocratical and solid, this one is marvelously spectacular). It also features even more in depth character creation (Best there is so far. Even gives you a chance to make your voice), great relaxing music, special effects and tons of spells, weapons etc. This game uses a tactical fighting interface (Arcanum uses "real-time", "turn-based", and a hybrid of the two). Sort of like a "turn based D&D style" - very unique and you can easily adapth to it. ToEE uses a 2D&3D engine hybrid alowing it to be a very pleasnt game for the eye. You just have to play this one too.
P.S. The game has no multiplayer, but there can be a few mods for that (maybe).

Both games can encounter a bug once in a while (ToEE has more of this), but it sure doesn't ruin the game. You just have to use a few patches right before you want to start playing.

Just my opinion, but Troika has made the best RPG's in the world. I have to get a "Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" one day, I heard it was great too. I sure hope they revive it one day. Arcanum and ToEE RULES. k:

EDIT: Planescape Torment I heard is great, Metal Heart too.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
Skumpaq
Abandonia nerd

What about the Discworld series? I haven't played them myself but I've heard others say they are as good as Monkey Island and other Lucasarts adventure games.
Skumpaq is offline                         Send a private message to Skumpaq
Old 15-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
southwolf
[BANNED]

Discworld rocks!!
southwolf is offline                         Send a private message to southwolf
Old 15-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #26
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The first 2 are great, but they're Adventures not RPGs really.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 16-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #27
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

A few more...

Did you play the later versions of Steel Panthers (freeware)? Recommended if you're into hard core, detailed strategy. The later versions have a few bugs fixed.
Sudden Strike series for an easy afternoon of simple, fun strategy and action, with beautiful graphics as well.

Other genres? Flight/Space sims:
TIE fighter, of course, as well as
X-wing Alliance. Great sims with storylines.
F-22 Total Air War for some heavy duty fighter sim. Runs on 'older' machines. Only drag is the AI and certain bugs (later fixed). The mission generator makes sure no two missions are exactly the same.

FPS (first person stealth): Thief 2, (I never played the first), Hitman Codename 47 (more fun to play as stealth than shooter)

RPG: Daggerfall is a classic, if you can live with some really wacky bugs (like having your horse fly about like a bleeping Rudolph). Exploit the bugs, and you could have a few laughs as well as a HUGE and imo, a great game. The thing about DF is that the number of skills allows you to be ANYONE! Now, not many RPGs out-do DF in that respect. A few bugs are destructive and kill your savegames, so keep your savegames backed up at a regular rate.
Old 16-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Arcanum is good, but it's buggy and it has several problems when it comes to balance and pacing.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 17-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #29
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 17 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]237242[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Arcanum is good, but it's buggy and it has several problems when it comes to balance and pacing.
[/b]
I've never encontered a bug in Arcanum, except a few path finding glitches. (only had those in ToEE). What happened to you?
P.S. What do you mean by balance and pacing?
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 17-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #30
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The bugs are enormous and wide-spread, you don't notice them at first, but after you've played through several times they become glaringly obvious. Examples could include the AI's sudden stupidity and then suddenly retaining their original mental health again. Sometimes the AI will just stand around and do absolutely nothing (very rare, but it kills you when they won't help out in combat) there are combat glitches when you switch between real-time and turn-based constantly (certain things like action points being used up for no reason) and monsters at times will attack you even if you made a succesful sneak, against all reason.

The balance is somewhat poor, especially early on in the game. Wandering around can get you killed easily, yet several areas in the game are far too easy, it seems there's never a nuetral balance of perfect challenge, but instead it alternates between easy and hard. Although it's nothing like Fallout, where you can skip a certain area, come back, and get bored to death with the easiness. If you don't explore the world just right, you get either slaughtered or bored to death.
It also takes a REALLY long time for you to get to the meat of the game, which can turn you off early in the game. Some of the character negatives and item negatives are really a bit too harsh also.

But otherwise I loved the game, just wish it was a bit more polished.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy