Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2005, 07:59 PM   #11
einherjar

Ah... I won't this time. I sent my review to Kosta a little while ago.

Old 16-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
Wael
Hero Gamer

Oh then,
If you sent the review directly to Kosta,
You could propably send by Pm also the rating you gave to it...

Your Call /-
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 16-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #13
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

@ Sebastianos...

I read all the reviews...there are important to me :angel:

:angel: Just me…Just Wormpaul…just a little Angel :angel:
Old 16-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
einherjar

Well, I get the impression that he's pretty busy, so I don't like to bother him.

Old 16-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #15
Wael
Hero Gamer

Yes,
That might be true /-
Wael is offline                         Send a private message to Wael
Old 16-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I always read the game reviews when I look at a new game, and more often than not it's what will make me download the game. I use the screenshots only to see if I'd like to play the game first of all, but it doesn't mean that I would like it. The review can tell me that.
Old 16-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #17
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

A good review isn't based solely on screenshots, and it's certainly useless to go on a numeric rating system. The only way you can know is to try it out in a demo or buy it. Second best, is to find an article that explains the storyline and some of the gameplay. Opinions are just that....opinions. A real reviewer knows how to delve into how the environment looks and reacts. They'll explain details of things that stand out in a game that are unique, intriguing or exciting. There are just so many types of games, so you really won't know what will suit you without a good description. Many people don't like 1st person games, and their reasons are because of disorientation or difficulty with the speed. However, if they read enough, they could find certain games that are 3d that do not have those problems. It's just a matter of taste, and how much information you seek for a product.
WildZeppelin is offline                         Send a private message to WildZeppelin
Old 17-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #18
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I agree with you zeppelin, to some extend.My opinion is that reviews represent the impression that the game left on the reviewer.This is of course subjective.Screenshots on the other hand don't lie!
As a general rule: you can always trust a picture... you can never trust a review!(except mine :bleh: )
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 17-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #19
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by einherjar@Jan 16 2005, 08:47 PM
The reviewers don't rate the games, the editors do (or at least they rated the games I reviewed).* I think reviewers should be given the ability to rate the games as well...
The reviewer is supposed to supply his or her own rating. But if there isn't one with the review, then the updater must guess what the reviewer might have given the game. If one of your reviews has a rating you don't agree with, einherjar, let me know by pm and I'll change it for you
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 17-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #20
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

One of the best gaming mags I ever read prided itself on the fact that it never ever included a rating for anything. Their logic was that no scoring system can adequately capture a game's nuances, or the way that different people will see different things in a game.

For what it's worth, I agree. I generally can't stand RTS games -- If you asked me to rate Starcraft's value to me out of 10, I'd give it a 2 or 3. I suspect most RTS fans would disagree. A single number between 0 and 10 doesn't even begin to allow for the fact that some people like RTS games and some don't.

The trick to writing a good review is to not just go on and on about how good or bad you think a game is (although it never hurts to give a subjective opinion at the end). A good review discusses a game's strengths and weaknesses, as well as identifying features that some people will find good and some will find bad (eg the darkness thing in Doom 3 -- it's atmospheric, but many people find it totally annoying). The goal is to give the reader enough info to decide whether a game seems worth trying for them.

When it comes down to the rating, I try to rate from the point of view of someone who already likes the genre of game in question. Normally that's easy enough to do -- if I didn't like something, I wouldn't be playing and reviewing it. But at the end of the day the rating is just a number picked by one person, incorporating their opinion of the relative importance of the game's strengths and weaknesses. All it really tells you is whether the reviewer liked it or not -- the reviewer can't tell whether you'll like it. If you want to try and work that out in advance, you need to read the review and make up your own mind.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle