Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Saccade
[BANNED]

Re: Group/Profile - Read a few posts up...

No-one mentioned what they'd like or not like before this was made, eh?
Perhaps if things like this were said a few weeks ago, they'd be more helpful.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 23-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #22
Saccade
[BANNED]

Incidentally, I want to put up some announcements about translation needed.
It'd be good to post them in the right language.

What languages are needed for translation? (top 5-10) If someone would put together an announcement in each language, we can start hunting for people on friendface.
Old 23-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #23
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I did this in 5 minutes:

Quote:
Abandonia.com is looking for translators!

You speak French and do well in English? Abandonia.com is looking for translators to translate English reviews for the French section. Register at Abandonia.com for more details!
Quote:
Abandonia.com recrute des traducteurs!

Vous parlez français et vous débrouillez bien en anglais? Abandonia.com est à la recherche de traducteurs pour traduire les critiques anglaises pour la section francophone du site. Inscrivez vous sur Abandonia.com pour plus de détails!

Last edited by Eagle of Fire; 24-09-2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Old 23-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #24
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

The same in German:

Abandonia.com sucht nach Übersetzern!

Ihr sprecht deutsch und kommt im Englischen gut zurecht? Abandonia.com sucht nach Übersetzern, um englische Spielebesprechungen für den deutschen Bereich zu übersetzen. Meldet euch auf Abandonia.com an, um weitere Einzelheiten zu erfahren!
Old 23-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
Re: Group/Profile - Read a few posts up...

No-one mentioned what they'd like or not like before this was made, eh?
Perhaps if things like this were said a few weeks ago, they'd be more helpful.
I tried your link for group and it still looks like profile to me. I don't get it...

And you are right, those things should have been said and agreed few weeks back, but things would work out this way or another...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 23-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #26
Saccade
[BANNED]

Nice one guys!
Thanks. I'll post them over the next few days.

Marko - we've found that it is easier to invite a profile's friends to join a group, meaning you can add thousands (which we hope to get soon) at once from the friend list.

There's also been some discussion as to whether a group page is really necessary...
The profile serves the purposes that we need, I think. It allows anything to be posted easily, to be spread among everyone's home-page - and to the visitors of these pages (people are added because they are mutual friends); whatever is announced has the potential to be read by many.

As for the other updates and news: What is not posted on the wall can be read at the forums.
The same is true of the chat.
Though I'm not too sure how thing's'd be if loads of people descended upon the chatbox maybe that wouldn't be so good.
Especially since the level of intelligence shown in most Facebook chat makes an inbred, congenitally-challenged goldfish look smart...

Can you (or anyone else) see anything that a group would provide that neither the profile nor a visit to abandonia.com could? Something that could get more people to come to these pages and know AB more than from facebook?
If there are some good things that are missing, maybe a group could be re-considered..?

Remember that the idea is to get people take the plunge and visit AB (hopefully bringing some good games). Dangling a carrot, as a game or whatever, to encourage people to come over - as well as let people know that places like AB are here - is what facebook is good for.
Anything else is a bonus.

Last edited by Saccade; 23-09-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 24-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #27
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, I saw facebook group as good advertising on FB. FB became largely used and popular, therefore it is my opinion that AB should be present on FB. As you said profile already serves the purpose.

IMO profile will only get people that are already visiting abandonia. Thinking of percentages, more people are spending more time on FB than on abandonia. So, having news on profile will inform people more of abandonia activities. This is useful only for friends of FB profile that don't visit abandonia regularly.

Group provides better possibilites for presenting us. Who we are, what we do, what is curent status and similar, along with few stories and pictures.

However, the major point of having abandonia on FB in nay form is to receive attention of people that actually never visited or even heard of abandonia. IMO group will make us look better, but it is also true that profile will be spread more quickly.

Having this second thought, I'm not sure myself anymore should we have group. Now I understant why you keep tagging people in some pictures because their friends will see it.

Anyway, once I have more time I may try to create new group in the way I think it should look and then we can take a look and perhaps discuss again. Besides from that I have nothing to add.

Last edited by marko river; 24-09-2009 at 03:40 AM.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 24-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #28
Saccade
[BANNED]

eh? Tagging people..?

I've not done that. Other people somehow keep tagging the AB profile in photo's, but I remove them from the wall as I see them.

Have you seen the people that are connected to f/b? Most of them had never heard of Abandonia. There are at least a dozen or so people that have contacted to ask how they play these games.
I don't think (m)any of them have signed up at the forums, though...

If they have, it's only been for troubleshooting.

We live in hope...

If yr planning on making a group page, it'd be good to contact ianfreddie07 as he's also helping out with facebook.
Perhaps you and he could come up with something together and keep it updated?
If you have the time to keep it regularly updated - don't want it to die out as quickly or with as few contacts as the last f/b attempt.

If you make the page, PM me or one of the admins, such as Dave, for the login that is used.
Nice one Marko!
Old 24-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #29
Romano
Ye Olde Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
IMO profile will only get people that are already visiting abandonia. Thinking of percentages, more people are spending more time on FB than on abandonia. So, having news on profile will inform people more of abandonia activities. This is useful only for friends of FB profile that don't visit abandonia regularly.
Mass mail will be also a good solution. Drupal collects mail from every registered member. One mail monthly nobody will consider as spam
Romano is offline                         Send a private message to Romano
Old 24-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Saccade
[BANNED]

Facebook are quite heavy-handed when it comes to spam, Romano...
There's even a limit on how many people you can invite as friends per day.

I don't know what the policy is on spamming AB forum members, however.
btw - I wanted to talk with you about some of the punk/anarch fairs in London.