Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #31
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yup, it must be the "&", I'm sorry guys but I can't "refund" around 150000 users , don't take it so seriously, sometimes the answer is on the screen and the quiz is very easy, sometimes it's impossible to guess (literally)
We will try to solve the problem though, thank you for reporting it.

P.s. the %26 worked.
Thanks, M. Yoda. But I am pretty sure I answered with %26 at that time (last year?) and got nothing. I think the name was Skull & Crossbones...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #32
slx
Abandonia nerd

and it happend today... again!
slx is offline                         Send a private message to slx
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #33
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by slx View Post
and it happend today... again!
Yep, probably something to do with the number...
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Andras78

Today, again
problems with the numbers...
Andras78 is offline                         Send a private message to Andras78
Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #35
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Yes, some numbers and special characters it seems

Unfortunately we can't do much, we reported the problem many times but they haven't solved it, and I don't have access to the source code so I can't even try to patch it.
I hope soon or later we will find a solution, sorry for the inconvenience guys.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #36
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default Some Daily Quiz error info (?)

After a little research, it turns out it has to do with URL encoding. It just means that certain characters need to be converted to a different code before they can be transmitted over the Internet.
"...Only alphanumerics [0-9a-zA-Z], the special characters "$-_.+!*'()," [not including the quotes - ed], and reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used unencoded within a URL."
You can get a list and read more about it if you want. It's kind of interesting (to me, at least) and to "Oliver+%26+Company ". Isn't "Skull+%26+Crossbones" the symbol for Piracy or Poison (death to the quiz, in this case).

It still doesn't fully explain why today's damaged tissue (lesion) didn't register. Perhaps this was the time it was damaged after the last quiz trauma. Wasn't that the fifth or so such incident?

I guess it really has little to do with the actual quiz itself, just something to be on the lookout for in the future. I'm going to view this just like it is another buggy game. Now that I know what the bug is, I know what to look out for in the future.

Last edited by Ohne Mitleid; 04-03-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Interesting diagnosis Ohne

This could really help, don't know when but at least know we know more about it
Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #38
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

No offense, but we knew that already. Better said, we knew that it is a little bit different. URL encoding is not the problem (spaces work, for instance) but the solution. The & is parsed as AND so we have to replace it by %26. For 7th Legion I thought that the problem could be that it was 7th Legion, The in the past. Tests via dummy accounts didn't confirm that, though.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
No offense, but we knew that already. Better said, we knew that it is a little bit different. URL encoding is not the problem (spaces work, for instance) but the solution. The & is parsed as AND so we have to replace it by %26. For 7th Legion I thought that the problem could be that it was 7th Legion, The in the past. Tests via dummy accounts didn't confirm that, though.
Forum is supposed to be about open discussion, emphasis on open. To me, this means listening to others is just as important is spouting out my own opinions. So...

From "The Tick" (paraphrased):
Arthur (?): No offense intended, Tick.
Tick: No offense comprehended.

If "we" already knew that, then I was not a member of the "we" when that happened. I knew something about the ampersand (&), but couldn't remember the number needed to replace it, so I tried looking it up on the Internet.

I didn't know anything about the The for 7th Legion, but that just leads me to believe it is possible that the data for that entry exists in two places in two different forms. If that were true, a == would never be possible since the information doesn't match itself.

I'm still trying to figure out why it accepts spaces which, according to theory, should technically be %20, but they show up as plus signs (+) in the URL. It's an opportunity for more knowledge and a learning experience for me, so I thought I would share what I discovered on the way.

Anyway, I was just looking at it from the viewpoint of a puzzle to be solved. I've heard that if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. This might not always be true, but it didn't feel right to me to constantly complain about not getting my PoE for the Daily Quiz errors without trying to do at least a little bit of research as to why.

The game is afoot kind of thing, you know? Hmm... there is no Sherlock Holmes smilie...
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #40
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

It accepts spaces because the quiz has nothing to do with URLs. It's a JavaScript application that compares your input with the title of the respective game. Either the JavaScript sees the ampersand as an operator or the site stores the ampersands in game titles as & or %26 to avoid an operator or an HTML error for other instances.

And to quote your link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by your link
URL encoding normally replaces a space with a + sign.
...so it would even accept spaces if it would use the URL because the URLs have spaces in the raw data, but I hope it doesn't use the URLs - that would be ... beyond words.