Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #11
rallier
Abandonia nerd

there r also more tex murphy, like the overseer.... though i only played 2,3 and 4
2,3 is a standard adventure game which is in 2D
4 (under a killing moon) looks a lot with pandora directive and there is also some arcade sections (hiding from killer robots) i didn't found the movement difficult only finding some clues and combining some stuff......quite logical game though......although there are some a little bit irrational things .... the one i remember well cause i grew old until finding that shit was with a hawk holding a ring....it was too far to see that it was holding something...... u had to place an aluminium foil to attract the hawk and leave you the ring in exchange for the aluminium foil
for the non english people there is some difficulty with dialogs because u have 3 - 4 choices which do not tell you exactly what u will say, just the attitude such as fraternise....
Still i consider it a great game!
rallier is offline                         Send a private message to rallier
Old 14-08-2004, 03:04 AM   #12
xndr2181
Game Wizzard

wow, the game sounds pretty sweet. I'm getting the image of a Snatcher/Rise of the Dragon type game, would I be somewhat right about that? Or way off?
-Sean
xndr2181 is offline                         Send a private message to xndr2181
Old 14-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #13
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I don't know, I haven't played Snatcher or Rise of the Dragon.

Its basically an Xfiles-plot (with a good dose of government coverups and secret government groups) meets "filme noir" (like Casablanca, only sleazier)

Like in pandora Directive you live next to a 'nightclub' called "The Pink Flamingo", and at one point you must protect one of its 'dancers'

I didn't play it till the end (I would either die and notice that I forgot to save. or it would crash and corrupt all savegames)
I remember you can die easily from a certain point on.
Like at one point you must take down a assassin on the rooftops.
So you must sneak around the rooftops and try and approach him at the right time from the right angle.
Or at one point you infiltrate a secret government database of some sort.
The alarm goes off. You take too much time in escaping: you die
You take the wrong escaperoute: you die.
Same with area 51. there is an alien loose and its after you, so you must quickly get through the maze of subterran hallways and collect the parts needed to activate the machine which can trap the alien... or else you die.

Furthest I ever got in the game was to the room with the activated machine for trapping the alien. something went wrong, I died, and I didn't want to start all over again.

I'm not sure if the same goes for the first Tex Murphy games. I've played the first one (which feels a lot like the later games) but the dialogues were quite odd at times (not to mention boring)
In Pandora Directive you usually got a choice in dialogue options.
At some points the dialogue options could only make or break your relationship. While at other times it meant the difference between getting an answer like this:
"I am going to do you the greatest favour you've ever gotten; I'm going to let you live", to this: "you like this tie? Lets try it out on you" (they strangle you with it :wink: )
Stroggy is offline                         Send a private message to Stroggy
Old 14-08-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
xndr2181
Game Wizzard

Hmm, sounds like a lot of fun, at least the Pandora one. The Area 51 sounds like I wouldn't like it, cause I hate timed games...Might be fun to upload these games at some point...if they're abondonware...
-Sean
xndr2181 is offline                         Send a private message to xndr2181
Old 20-08-2004, 05:42 PM   #15
rallier
Abandonia nerd

i think only up to Tex Murphy 3 are abandonware
The rest are certainly not.
Besides Tex Murphy 4: Under a killing Moon
is 4 cd's, too big to upload it, unless u've got a T-line!
rallier is offline                         Send a private message to rallier
Old 25-08-2004, 05:42 AM   #16
JoA

Have to say the Tex Murphy games are among my favourites - but I do prefer Pandora Directive to UAKM. Just replayed Pandora a few months ago, also played the download of Martian Memorandum two or three weeks ago (can I say here that it's available on HOTU?) Was going to play Mean Streets as well but I'm not too keen on those old types of adventures where you have to type in all the commands! Unfortunately I missed out on buying Overseer when it was available in Australia some years ago but I understand it's basically a remake of Mean Streets - updated obviously!
JoA is offline                         Send a private message to JoA