Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
hatteras61
Lurker

Exclamation Space Game with about 9 different races

Hi, I am looking for a space game I played around 1995 to 1998 or 99.

The game is a strategy space exploration type game where you are piloting a ship from a space station and traveling thru space to locate various planets with natural resources you need, as well as trying to find an earth-like planet where those natural resources can be used to save the human race.

In this game you will come across different alien races that you can either form an alliance with or attack.

I can specifically remember 2 of the races you can encounter:

one is The Brood which have larva that attack various components of your ship (your ship IS upgradable by acquiring better components such as engines, guns, filters etc...).

The other race I remember (not SURE on the spelling) are The Ciscebo (they look somewhat like angels or mystical beings... very graceful looking and ephemeral.

I originally thought the game was Starcraft but after looking at the various screen shots, I discovered it wasn't (tho I THINK the name of this game is similar).

As I recall, the graphics were VGA and the game played either on MSDOS or Windows 95 (can't remember which).

It was a great game and would LOVE to find it again to play on my old Laptop.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
hatteras61 is offline                         Send a private message to hatteras61
Old 27-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Wild guesses:
Alien Legacy?
Reunion?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 28-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Bugamn
Abandonia nerd

Maybe Star Control II?
Bugamn is offline                         Send a private message to Bugamn
Old 28-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Second for Star Control. Try 2nd and 3rd, 3rd looks more RTS (with planet management) than 2nd (where you work only with your ship).

Also, check it on Abandonia, and go by "similar" links, because the game can be something else, like Starflight or something. Because "saving human race" is not the premise of any SC - but I definitely seen something like that on the Abandonia...
Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #5
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

Huh? SC2 is absolutely about saving the human race, just not directly stated outright. Even assuming the Kzer-Za remain dominant, they aren't exactly benevolent. It's called a "slave shield" for a reason.

Anyway, OP, I wonder if you might be conflating the details of different games?

For example, Nomad (AKA Project Nomad) doesn't fit many of your details, but the angelic race you describe sounds like the Chanticleer, one of eleven(?) races in the game. But there is no insect race, and like Star Control 2 the threat to Earth is implicit, not explicit.

On the other hand, it only has about five races (I think?), but the troubled Protostar: War on the Frontier features an insectoid race, the Ghebraant. Insectoid races are pretty common in these types of games, of course, but the specific way the player has to form an alliance with them is to find them a new planet that is rich in resources which they can relocate to. Additionally, the threat posed by the Skeetch is an explicit danger to humanity.

Both these games were released in 1993...they're also both on Abandonia. Unfortunately, getting more direct and comprehensive information on these titles seems to be quite difficult (especially compared to all the stuff available for Star Control 2).

If you still believe this is a single game you're remembering, it's quite possible it's an obscure title that has not received much attention on the internet. I think the single biggest way of narrowing down the possibilities lies in how much you can recall of how combat was handled. If you can remember whether it was real-time or turn-based, and what perspective it was viewed from (top-down, cockpit/bridge, etc), that could be a big help.
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
patryckslasher
Also Known As patryckpo

Send a message via MSN to patryckslasher

I know it couldn't be but...
Warpath '97 by Synthetic Reality?
If not, it could be one of those from Space Empire series (that are shareware)
Well, a guess is a guess...