Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
cryptomorph

Default 7th Guest Works In Vista

I remembered this game as a demo of the new multimedia CD ROM PCs that were coming out in the early 90's. I'd always wanted to play it. But it would not properly install in XP or Vista so I created a VM hoping to install it on Win95 or Win98... both of which I could not install in the VM. That left the XP installation which I was using for making portable apps.

I was able to install disk 2 (which comes first) but not 1. So I transferred all the files from disk 1 into the installation folder (including the zip folders) then unzipped t7g_win32 to that folder overwriting files. The game worked... clicking on the v32tng.exe mask icon though I didn't play it long enough to learn how to save files. On a hunch I moved that intact installation file out of the VM into my Vista machine and it works here too.

I suspect that most problems with this game are with the old installation files not with the game itself.

BTW the anti-spammer images here are the toughest I've yet seen. Do they have to be THAT hard?
cryptomorph is offline                         Send a private message to cryptomorph
Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
cryptomorph

I should add that I'm not running 7th Guest in any compatibility mode.
cryptomorph is offline                         Send a private message to cryptomorph
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
cryptomorph

OK... after pressed all the exe files I could find, I figured out how to get back to the menu to save or load game. Just click on the main exe file again. You can only choose an option when the skeleton hand turns into a pyramid. Whatever you do don't press ESC. It will end the game without the ability to save.

Saved games are located in the main folder in files like st7g.1 so in theory this game is portable.

So... I'd say DOS BOX isn't needed.

BTW... I didn't have to make any adjustments for sound drivers. It plays fine. And this was NOT one of the reworked games off eBay. I was using the old game files that still required a patch for Win95, Win98, and NT.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
cryptomorph

Oops... sorry, the game is NOT portable in the truest sense of the word... that it can run off a single executable. It still requires disk 1. But the installation is portable... in that it will play off a USB drive. I have it runnnig off my camera's SD card because that's how I got it out of the virtual machine.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
cryptomorph

Found an easier way to get back to the menu. The game is widescreen but in a 3:4 window. When you move the skeleton hand cursor off the game screen in to the black borders, it turns into a pyramid cursor. Click on that.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomorph View Post
BTW the anti-spammer images here are the toughest I've yet seen. Do they have to be THAT hard?
Unfortunately, yes. We may not have a high opinion of bot authors, but at least some of them are pretty good at image recognition - the captcha settings we used before have become inadequate enough for half a dozen (or more) bots to make it through every day.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman