Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search Forums:
Click here to use Advanced Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #371
jasonmloh
Forum hobbit

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bukit Mertajam, Malaysia
Posts: 36
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegerdude View Post
I think that there is an entry in the manual stating that they added the Dutch rather than Portugese as the they were too similar to the Spanish.
Yes I agree. I have the original manual that came with the floppy disks and there is a paragraph saying so.
jasonmloh is offline                         Send a private message to jasonmloh
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #372
dan30
Guest
Default Island strategy

I like playing Colonization as an economic game, the complexity of the many different terrains, commodities, and citizen types appeals to me. To avoid excessive conflict with other European powers I like to play on an island, or at least a peninsula connected to a continent by a narrow, defendable, isthmus.

Typically I select the "customize new world" option and set the land type to the "archipelego" option which tends to optimize the chances of finding a suitable island. Then I select "start in new world". The fixed "america" map doesn't really have any islands of an ideal size.

I generally cheat a little by saving the game on the first turn, then look around with my initial ship and colonists until I find an island I like, or decide the map doesn't seem to have one. In the former case I load my initial save and start over, moving immediately to the island I scouted; in the latter case I just restart the game and try again with a new map.

What I look for is an island or peninsula with about 20-30 total spaces, enough to support about 4-6 colonies. I consider ore to be the most crucial resource, so I generally want an island with several hills or mountains. A couple of timber spots is helpful, but not absolutely essential, as long as you don't clearcut all your forests your lumberjacks can harvest wood from any forest square. A silver node is nice, but more than one silver is fairly pointless as the price of silver will rapidly fall to almost nothing if you mine more than one. For a strong economy I like to have at least two of the four basic salable commodities available (of sugar, tobbacco, cotton, and fur), so I look at the terrain types and figure out which the terrain can produce. Rivers are great, but sadly rarely occur on islands; they are reasonably common on peninsulas.

Past a certain point, Colonization is not really a game where more is better. In the long run, your most crucial activity is inciting rebel sentiment, and the more colonies you build, the longer that takes. With 5 colonies I can generally position myself to launch a revolution by 1700. This is why I avoid bigger islands.
                       
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #373
Pex
Game Wizzard
 
Pex's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30 View Post
I generally cheat a little by saving the game on the first turn, then look around with my initial ship and colonists until I find an island I like, or decide the map doesn't seem to have one. In the former case I load my initial save and start over, moving immediately to the island I scouted; in the latter case I just restart the game and try again with a new map.
I used to do this cheat too, as in saving the game and reloading once I find the suitable place for the first colony. I don't go for islands/peninsulas, though I'll just go anywhere as long as it's good location (silver or ore, like you mentioned later).

I'm actually very aggressive player and I keep attacking other nations for a simple reason - I harvest colonists that way. 9 times out of 10 other Europeans would found a colony in a stupid position, so I capture it and then abandon it and move colonists to my colonies. Once they start building stockades, you can't abandon it of course (which is a stupid rule), so it's important to act fast, almost as soon as they settle. If you are lucky, their ships will deliver to you steady supply of colonists and founding their colonies close to you (often in the same spot over and over again). Interesting thing is that once you declare independence, the country you terrorised the most is most likely to offer you support to fight the crown.

Quote:
What I look for is an island or peninsula with about 20-30 total spaces, enough to support about 4-6 colonies. I consider ore to be the most crucial resource, so I generally want an island with several hills or mountains. A couple of timber spots is helpful, but not absolutely essential, as long as you don't clearcut all your forests your lumberjacks can harvest wood from any forest square. A silver node is nice, but more than one silver is fairly pointless as the price of silver will rapidly fall to almost nothing if you mine more than one. For a strong economy I like to have at least two of the four basic salable commodities available (of sugar, tobbacco, cotton, and fur), so I look at the terrain types and figure out which the terrain can produce. Rivers are great, but sadly rarely occur on islands; they are reasonably common on peninsulas.
Yeah, it's disappointing how price of silver goes down quickly (contrary to historical facts where healthy supply of silver and gold from Americas was used to finance wars in Europe). But I do prefer to have more than one silver node, since it means that I can sell it quicker - as you would've noticed, at one point price of silver starts falling almost every turn, whether you sold it or not. If you're a Dutch, you can sell a few extra loads this way, before the low price makes it useless.

Quote:
Past a certain point, Colonization is not really a game where more is better. In the long run, your most crucial activity is inciting rebel sentiment, and the more colonies you build, the longer that takes. With 5 colonies I can generally position myself to launch a revolution by 1700. This is why I avoid bigger islands.
A friend of mine used to play always with two colonies only and managed to finish it quite early. I on the other hand, always liked to play it for the sake of playing, not as much as getting a good score. In all honesty, my favourite part of the game is exploring, sending my scouts around, chasing rumours, meeting different native tribes. Then I like harassing other Europeans as described above, or with my privateers if they have established a foothold (and I'm willing to leave them alone). The actual production is my least favourite part - I usually end up trading raw materials only and the only production line I fully develop is ore -> tools -> guns, usually in one colony only. That colony then becomes "military academy" with university and a veteran soldier in there (and of course, some free colonists within the colony, learning).

All in all, it's a great game (if not ideal, but is there such a thing?), and I spent lot of nice moments playing it. Even now, I like to start it sometimes and play only for a hundred of turns or so to see how I would go with settling and what the world is like.
__________________
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #374
Japo
Autonomous human
 
Japo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ,
Posts: 4,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Once they start building stockades, you can't abandon it of course (which is a stupid rule)
I'm sure Stalin would agree that it's stupid refraining from forcing people relocate from their established homes into the wasteland.

My playing style evolved over time from towards bigger, but there's a memory limit on the number of units that can be created. It really takes the point out of playing 4X as in Civilization. It's global (for the sum of unit of all nations), so it may not bother you if you take people from other nations but don't create a lot from food surplus.

I like all my cities ending up with the optimum (maximum) size and producing the maximum amount of everything, including liberty bells and hammers, and with all the colonists specialized in their trade. I think the management system encourages this. Later when I have some of these colonies and I want to found a new one, I set my universities to churn out specialists for the new colony. So thanks to their universities my old colonies allow me to set up a new one and make it 100% as well in a very short time.

I also like to have a big food surplus, and if I don't have another need at the moment I train my new colonists to be soldiers. I also equip them with muskets and horses as soon as I have enough for them, and I end up with ridiculously big armies. But it's now when I hit the memory limit --a message is shown every time a new colonist would have been born. Though with so many soldiers and the colonies also churning out artillery (which also counts towards the limit) after they've built everything else, I have no problem conquering cities from the other nations. But then I like to optimize them with specialists just like my own.
__________________
Life starts every day anew. Prospects not so good.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #375
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire
 
Eagle of Fire's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Valleyfield, Canada
Posts: 4,892
Default

Quote:
But I do prefer to have more than one silver node, since it means that I can sell it quicker - as you would've noticed, at one point price of silver starts falling almost every turn, whether you sold it or not.
Actually, if you sell too much of anything then you also drop the prices yourself every time you sell a load...
__________________
I'm on a hot streak... Literally.
Proud member of The Abandoned since 2005.
Eagle of Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Eagle of Fire
Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #376
Pex
Game Wizzard
 
Pex's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
Actually, if you sell too much of anything then you also drop the prices yourself every time you sell a load...
I totally agree, but I noticed that after a few sold loads, price of silver just keeps dropping regularly, whether you sell it or not. So, if for example, you can bring silver every twentieth turn, price drops for example, four times and then fifth when you sell it, but if you can bring it every tenth turn, price drops twice, then third time when you sell it, and then twice more (before twentieth turn) and then once more (sixth time counting from the beginning) when you sell it. So, although in the end price drops one extra time, you get more profit from selling extra load at higher price.

Another thing I do is, once I get scouts to the new world, I get their horses for one turn and leave them in the colony, so I can start my horse production.

@ Japo
Quote:
I'm sure Stalin would agree that it's stupid refraining from forcing people relocate from their established homes into the wasteland.
I'm sure he would, too Although, in my defence, most of the time I don't send them to wasteland, but to one of my colonies. But I still think it's just stupid how other Europeans tend to choose extremely useless location for their colonies. Sometimes it's just a matter of moving them to the next square... And I think it's stupid that stockade prevents you from abandoning. Just raze the bloody thing and bring timber with you
__________________
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #377
TheChosen
"I" in the Team
 
TheChosen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lappeenranta, Finland
Posts: 2,236
Default

Colonization is now available on GOG. For 5,99. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sid_meiers_colonization

Also, this is only the second classic Microprose game to be released on GOG (first being Darklands). Hopefully this means Civilizations will be finally added, or some really forgotten games like Sword of Samurai.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #378
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod
 
DarthHelmet86's Avatar




 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,830
Default

Look at the town names in a few of the screenshots, hints of games to come? Or just GOG teasing us again.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #379
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD
 
The Fifth Horseman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Opole, Poland
Posts: 14,264
Default

Or it's an in-joke on "Games you'd like to see on GOG". Well, you can see them on these screenshots.
__________________

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #380
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod
 
DarthHelmet86's Avatar




 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,830
Default

That is pretty much what I said.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Reply With Quote
Reply


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colonization 6rangeface Troubleshooting 8 12-03-2006 01:18 AM
Colonization LotharGR Troubleshooting 2 31-05-2005 01:28 PM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump
 


The current time is 05:07 PM (GMT)

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.