Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #101
gumpy
Game freak

This game looks cool! I love finding games that I never knew about before on Abandonia.
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #102
Cysma

I've got this game working, but the cursor always moves to the right by itself, making it impossible to click on anything! Help!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #103
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by the DOSBox readme
Q: The cursor always moves into one direction!
A: See if it still happens if you disable the joystick emulation, set joysticktype=none in the [joystick] section of your DOSBox configuration file. Maybe also try unplugging any joystick/gamepad. If you want to use the joystick in the game, try setting timed=false and be sure to calibrate the joystick (both in your OS as well as in the game or the game's setup program).
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #104
mmoore94
Lurker

Oh man i love this game =) i remember playing it in computer class. Although it is more difficult then i remember it being.
mmoore94 is offline                         Send a private message to mmoore94
Old 25-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #105
Xav24
Wink strategy

I just wasted two days of my life trying to beat this game. After a lot of work, I decided the following:

Best zone: Plains. Tree seedlings grow here, lots of plains dinos to choose from (incl the largest/most expensive dinos like this zone).

Best starting dino (for plains): Hypsilophodan. Cheapest dino for plains that only eats one small veggie.

Best first purchase: Parking lot. Advertising is really not necessary at first. Once you have a parking lot, advertising year-round can help keep your income from flatlining during fall, though.

Worst first purchase: concessions. Not money makers until you start getting over a hundred visitors, and even then during the fall you have to fire the employees (until you can spend the cash for advertising through the winter and get 60-100 visitors).

Best second purchase: None. Ride the gravy train of a single dino and a single employeee for as long as you can, until you've saved up $50,000 and can take the pain of radio advertising, manager, concessions, security (so your food stores aren't trashed), and maintenance (1 per 2 pens). Instead, upgrade that parking lot!

End game: At some point, you get to an equilibrium point with one dino, and want to go to 2-3. This can work, but you have to pull it off perfectly else go out of business. You need enough cash in the bank to get concessions and advertising going, and this requires additional security (usually more security than tour guides), a manager, maintenance, and at least a vet part of the year. One more tour guide than number of dinos, usually, except in the fall. The next jump is maxing out your concessions (3+3) and continuous radio advertising, which is a fine-line of matching your employees for the number of visitors that month, saving money until you have 100K+ in the bank for the next expansion. You want all your pens made out of concrete with electricity at this point, because you'll be losing dinos even in these "secure" pens. Look up the descriptions of the dinos, and make sure you start with the cheap plains-loving ones, then expand to the cooler, larger, hungrier carnivores. Watch your profit-loss carefully to see when you should be adjusting your number of employees, though you should always keep maintenance and a single manager, and probably at least a single vet.

In the end, without cheating, it is possible to finish the game with all the pens, all the big dinos, and money rolling in, though you still have to be on top of managing employees, purchasing seeds and food, and radio advertising.

Old 19-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #106
DaKay

Since there is not a single guide for this game in the whole web I wrote a guide that works for all the areas.

If someone is interested you can find it here: http://dakaywritescrap.blogspot.de/2...oon-guide.html

I made some research and collected several data about the game.
Because I am also just a human being I am not free of mistakes so you are allowed to tell me if you see there are missing information or mistakes in there (if you do I will add you into the credits).

Just4Info

Old 19-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #107
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, nice Thx for sharing
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 01-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #108
UrethraFranklin

DaKay's blog and Xav24's post, it was nice of them to share, there is some good info but there is also some bad info.

1. Get two parking lots before anything else. The third parking lot is worthless until you have more stuff.
2. Price tickets at $2.50 in the slow season, no exceptions. You can even price at $2.50 in the fast seasons, your attendance will double, but $5 in fast season seems to be a tiny bit better. You should be able to profit every season without firing employees. If you're losing, then you're doing something wrong.
3. Special events happen, you can't stop them. Vandals destroying food containers means you lost half your food, just buy more. After the first year, a dino will break out once every season.
4. Security and maintenance are a total waste of money. Guards don't prevent vandals from destroying food containers. Dinos break out of fences the same frequency regardless of maintenance or even type of fence, it just has a different reason ("destroyed the fence" or "poor maintenance").
5. Never staff 3/3 concessions. Only 2/2 at most, the last ones get a couple cents per visitor. You can get 3 gift stands so a food person can move over when the food inspectors shut it down for a week.
6. TV ads are worthless. The programmers just priced it at "$50,000" and let us experiment, like in real life. You can't get back more than 30-40k a season.
7. Do NOT be passive, do NOT wait for a bigger bank before upgrading, and absolutely do NOT stay on one dino! "When ahead, get even further ahead." In the first season they make it easy, you don't get disasters. Invest, invest, invest, you're guaranteed a return! More dinos, more concrete fences, get concessions.
8. When you get all concrete fences, the walkway becomes gorgeous white pavement. Costs a ton but it's worth it because your attendance goes up 200-300 visitors/day in a big park.
9. Climate affects which seasons are fast/slow, what types of seeds grow plants. Climate does *not* affect what type of dino you should get, how much overall profit. Plains has an easier start but if you play for years, there's no difference.
10. Type of dino has no effect on attendance. If you want 10 T-rex (each over $9000!!) or 10 Orinthomimus ($1250 each) you get the same attendance. Get big dinos cause they look cool, not because they help your account because they don't.

I've gotten to $200k on Aug 5 of the first year this way, $1 million in the bank on November 15 third year. No auction cheat or tour guides cheat (page 6 of this thread).

While this game isn't too scary for kids, it's not really "suitable" for kids because you really need to know your stuff to make it work.