Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #161
Diamondfist
Abandonia nerd

Adding to The Fifth Horseman's advice (thanks for explaining that, BTW!), DOS games should be in a subdirectory called "Dosgames" or "Oldgames" (whichever you prefer, I prefer "Dosgames". This will be the "root" directory when you mount it.

So when mounting the C drive using Dosgames as the subfolder, you would type:
mount c c:\dosgames and press ENTER.

As previously stated, it's best to keep all DOS games in one folder to keep them organized. Don't feel intimidated by the commands, they do seem daunting at first, but after becoming accustomed to them, they become like second nature.

I have both the original diskette and CD-ROM version, both which I have recently acquired. I only installed the game files, and am satisfied with the movies playing from the CD. The CD-ROM version manual doesn't even have the paragraphs from the diskette version. The only thing I miss from the CD version is Bilbo turning invisible at his party in the intro. I've always liked that bit from the diskette version. Enjoy the game!

Last edited by Diamondfist; 17-03-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Diamondfist is offline                         Send a private message to Diamondfist
Old 20-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #162
Jaykzo

Okay after Frodo disappeared (probably due to my mismanagement) I decided I'd just re-install and see if there is a way to play without having the original cd-rom in my drive.

I haven't found a method. However, I would like to state an easier,quicker method of installation. It saves you about 40 minutes of installation time. Assuming you have a GAMES folder...

Insert Cd Rom-Start DosBox

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\games
d:\
install
The installation will ask you if you want to install game files to hard drive, or game files AND movies. Select just the game files. It then asks where to install it to, leave the default (C:\lord-cd). This will put the files into c:\games\LORD-CD. After this step is complete, I would restart DosBox.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount c c:\games\lord-cd
c:\
lord

I've tried numerous times to copy the game data into a "dummy folder" and run that folder as a cdrom by typing "mount d c:\lorddummy -t cdrom", then mounting the c drive to the Lord-Cd folder and trying to play the game with the c-drive folder acting as the cd-rom, but it just won't work! It skips and pops and the music doesn't work...

So the next test is to see if I can burn the CD-ROM data on to a CD-R, then use it as normal.

Old 20-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #163
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykzo View Post
I've tried numerous times to copy the game data into a "dummy folder" and run that folder as a cdrom by typing "mount d c:\lorddummy -t cdrom", then mounting the c drive to the Lord-Cd folder and trying to play the game with the c-drive folder acting as the cd-rom, but it just won't work! It skips and pops and the music doesn't work...
My guess is that the music is stored in CD Audio tracks on the disc.

Running the game without the actual disc should be possible though. You'll need to make a BIN/CUE image of the game disc and then mount that using IMGMOUNT.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #164
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykzo View Post
I haven't found a method. However, I would like to state an easier,quicker method of installation. It saves you about 40 minutes of installation time. .
Actually, you could crank up the cycles from the standard 3000 to say.. max, and maybe you won't have to wait 40 minutes for the installation. Because your emulatod DOS won't run at the speed of a 386, but a Pentium. This applies to all installations within DOSBox btw.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #165
James.d.wyman
Default Error with Hawkeye

Help I keep getting the game freezing telling me to read paragraph number 50... What can i do to stop this?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #166
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Download the manual on the game's page, open it and go to page 34 for the beginning of the paragraphs and to page 41 for paragraph #50.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #167
James.d.wyman
Default Error

i have the manual but I mean the game just freezes, won't let me hit space bar, enter, or click with a mouse...

Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #168
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Are you using DOSBox (yet another link)?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #169
James.d.wyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
Are you using DOSBox (yet another link)?
Yep version .74, apparently I'm just gonna have to skip meeting the ranger...

Old 11-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #170
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Seems to be the sad truth. I can't provide any other possible solution without testing it, which would be somewhat laborious - or could you archive your *.BIN and NPCS.* files and upload them to a file host?