Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-09-2006, 04:33 AM   #61
Elward

Since I lack a manual, answer me these:
1: What do luck, stamina, and intelligence affect?
2: How much does STR affect close-range combat?

-EE
Elward is offline                         Send a private message to Elward
Old 18-09-2006, 01:45 AM   #62

Ok, the beginning is just waaay to boring and too long. All I been doing for like an hour it seems is reading. IS the whole game like this? I'd read a book instead. If there is a lot of combat please let me know, I'll force myself through the beginning.

Old 18-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #63
melthas
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 18 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]255698[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Ok, the beginning is just waaay to boring and too long. All I been doing for like an hour it seems is reading. IS the whole game like this? I'd read a book instead. If there is a lot of combat please let me know, I'll force myself through the beginning.
[/b]
Force yourself and you won't regret it. Game has an excellent story so I would advise you to keep on reading. And yes, there are lots of combat in the further parts of the game.
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 20-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #64

Hey there, just found this site, and I just had to react to this.

Albion has been my favourite game of all time for years, when I found the demo on my brand new (back then) Settlers II CDrom. Couldn't stop playing it, I think I have finished it over 8 times the last couple of years. My first try out of a website those days was dedicated to Albion. Its great to find it here, as it doesnt seem to work on windows XP anymore, but now I might get it to work.

It pleases me to see other fans I don't know many who know about this fantastic bluebythe game.

Well im off to install it rofl

cheers,
Nienke/fangirl *grin*

Old 21-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #65
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 18 2006, 05:45 AM) [snapback]255698[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
Yes, in the beginning you will have lots of text to read, like Melthas said you'd better read it. No need to rush into the action without knowing alien world, infact you'll be rewarded for your patience and curiosity. Although much of the text and dialogs have no actual impact on the gameplay I simply advise you to read just for the sake of getting deeper into the world of Albion. And you are very right on it being more like a book, I mentioned above and many others have already said this before: if it wasn't the game it should have been a book. Because it feels like a really good sci-fi book, the one you would love to keep in your memories. It is that sort of games which you will call "great games" no matter how old they are. It is because they require imagination from player. Detailed artwork provides "visual tune" (couldn't get a better one for the lack of words in my vocuabulary) but it doesn't replace your imagination, it makes it work even more. Sometimes you'll be stuck but take your time and refer to walkthough only when you are really really stuck. It leaves a lot to think after you complete it and it's worth the trouble. :-) Questions will swarm through your head but once again it leaves for your imagination to continue the story. I have just completed it and I was simply amazed by this game, I knew it was really good one but I couldn't imagine how really good it is. But I have to say: it's not sort of game that is for everyone, I might add that this game is for people with good imagination and those of artistic nature. But then again there is good story and lots of little details you'd love to learn, such is the attractive world of Albion.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 18-10-2006, 07:06 AM   #66
kathya
Lurker

Wink

I used to be so obsessed about this game when I had it. I shifted house, it wasn't packed carefully and the CD broke. God, even to this day, I regret not being able to continue with the game. It's by far the best RPG in my opinion.
:wallbash: Just wish I could play again.
kathya is offline                         Send a private message to kathya
Old 20-10-2006, 05:30 AM   #67
Rannen

I truly cannot understand why this games has such a high rating, or why most of the people commenting here seem to love it. The game has some great positives, which I'll get out of the way so I don't have to worry about them while I vent out all the negatives:
-Truly unique and expansive cultures for each of the peoples introduced during the game.
-I very much like the idea of magic that gets stronger with use.
-Animebona/Animenka story bit was well thought out and quite interesting.
-Dungeons were very interactive, puzzles were difficult enough to keep it interesting

and now some MAJOR flaws:
-Because every monster gives you exp more or less on the same scale, it's easy to become super powerful by just fighting weaklings forever. It also means that characters you never use will be impossible to level up quickly.
-Sira has a 'win every battle' spell, frost avalanche. It paralyzes ALL enemies for 3 rounds and makes it impossible to lose any normal battle.
-The quests are often ambiguous... I spent much of my game time wandering about the cities trying to figure out who I was supposed to talk to/kill/find/ect. to make the story progress.
-Being able to cast healing spells using life points is just wrong. Towards the end of the game, I mowed down a whole army of Service Bots without using one single potion just because I was able to heal to full for free using Melthas' heal spell.

and minor complaints:
-The music for certain cites, like Umajo, is bad enough to make me turn it off.
-Giving weight to the money is more realistic, but it can be irritating. Especially after you get back from the Kenget Kamulo and have many items worth MORE than their weight in gold. I tried selling them only to realize that I had to dump half my money in order to move (of course I reloaded). The addition of some type of bank would ease this problem.
-The made a whole bunch of nothing to explore down in the southern desert... it isn't a game stopping flaw, but it does seem quite pointless.

Because I was enthralled by the depth given to the different cultures of Albion, I gave the game a 3/5 despite all the severe problems with the game. Without it, it certainly would get a 2 (or 1 if I was in a bad mood).

Old 20-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #68
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Elaborate this a little more and you could post it into Community Reviews.

How about it? k:
Old 24-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #69
solrac mal
Lurker

hi everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with equipping daggers and stilettos on drirr's and sira's tails. I cannot seem to equip any other light weapon on drirr or sira's tail except for the ones they start of with, even if the resultant weapon is lighter than the original weapon. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there a way around this?

solrac mal is offline                         Send a private message to solrac mal
Old 26-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #70
Rannen

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(solrac mal @ Oct 24 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]263404[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
hi everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with equipping daggers and stilettos on drirr's and sira's tails. I cannot seem to equip any other light weapon on drirr or sira's tail except for the ones they start of with, even if the resultant weapon is lighter than the original weapon. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is there a way around this?
[/b]
I had a bit of trouble with this too. What worked for me was taking out their current weapon first, then putting the new one into the empty space. In my experience if you don't take off the currently equipped tail weapon before trying to put in the new one, it will always assume you want to put it in their main hand. Hope it solves your problem!
Rannen is offline                         Send a private message to Rannen