Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #151
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Elward@Jan 17 2006, 08:47 AM
I'm on XP with a Sound Blaster Live! and I have a music issue. When I run Xeen via a shortcut without VDMSound, no music plays, when I run it with VDMS, the music plays but at about half speed, and, with DOSBox, the music plays, but the game is just so slow. What advice have you?

-EE
Go the DOSbox homepage, and check out the command for speeding up the game. See if that works.

one of the best ever.. the whole might and magic series actually. although X was a complete rip-off. how did they dare produce that crap... seems to me to have been the end of the series. a loss to the world of gamers.

I think you mean Might and Magic IX, since there's been no M&M X, yet. After M&M VIII received lackluster if positive reviews, Tripp Hawkins, the CEO of 3DO (who had purchased New World Computing, developers of the M&M series) decided to take the title away from van Caneghem and company, and give it to a group of programmers who had never made a professional game, before. They didn't release on time, so Hawkins (much like Lucasarts with KotoR2, and so many other recent titles) decided to release it, anyway. M&M IX was severely flawed, not only with plenty of bugs and rushed coding, but also at a fundamental level. It felt like there was a lot of glitz and next to no substance. M&M IX was panned, but by then, Hawkins had other worries on his hands. The said thing is that van Caneghem never got back ownership of his property after 3DO collapsed, and the people who are making a new Might and Magic title haven't contacted him. In fact, from interviews, it appears they're just cynically exploting the brand name, to make a title with no real ties to the originally gameplay.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 AM   #152
Psychobbble
Lurker

i own this game from way back in the day(and can verify this with photographs) but I went to install it again the other day and some of the many floppies are corrupted . I can't find an english language abandonware version of it anywhere, can someone help me out?
Old 13-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #153
Barkman27

This game may be one of my favorite games ever. If you have played it a little you may know who Barkman is. If you want to see his site and movie adventures, go to barkman27.tripod.com.
I own this game and it works without sound on my Win ME. I tried DosBox and everything works, but it is waaaay slow (imagine a tone of the music playing only once every 5 seconds.) I have tried everything about "speeding up games," but it just doesn't work. I think it's impossible with my comp, but that's ok. All I really want is the music. Does anyone know if the music is out online (midi) or how to extract it from the game files?

Old 13-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #154
RPGgamemasta

I'm in love with this game. Is there a way to install VDMsound? It says I have to be in an administrator user, but I don't have users on my pc, it just turns on and I use it.

Old 14-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #155
liver kick

You know what. Back in the days of 386's I bought this game. it was actually clouds of xeen i think yeah it was. It came in like twelve floppy disks, the really floppy ones. It never worked because I was a kid and didn't know how to adjust ems and stuff. But now I think i'm going to give this game a try with dosbox. So how is this game, is it like eye of the beholder?

Old 16-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #156
Elward

I can speed the game, but eventually it becomes an exercise in diminishing returns. I can at least theoretically get enough cycles to run the game at a tolerable speed, but doing so freezes DOSBox.

-EE
Elward is offline                         Send a private message to Elward
Old 23-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #157

Hmm...wish the download was still available for this. I own the Ultimate RPG Archives set, which includes all the speech and stuff, but I can't find the damn CD now and I'm dying to play it again!

Old 23-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #158
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 23 2006, 09:46 AM
Hmm...wish the download was still available for this. I own the Ultimate RPG Archives set, which includes all the speech and stuff, but I can't find the damn CD now and I'm dying to play it again!
It's cheap. Check Amazon or eBay.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 23-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #159

I spent from 2am to 5am last night looking for the damn game, went to sleep, looked for it again today and I found it! I was pretty obsessive as far as finding it went. haha

Old 28-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #160
Trisk

Gah. I bought Worlds of Xeen in the Might and Magic Millenium edition. It is the CD version of the game...and I canNOT get it to run!

VDMsound just locks up with a blinking cursor.

Running in pure XP the game says I don't have a CDROM drive.

Running in DosBox, with MSCDEX mounted as the D Drive, I can install the game off the CD just fine. But when I go to run the game, it says I have a MUSIC CD in the drive! I DO NOT! I've got the bloody @#$@# game disk! :ranting:

I want to play this game something AWEFUL, and this is amazingly frustrating. I'm really not sure what else to do.

I also tried to run in on my old ME box, and got an error that I don't have enough memory, and that I need 0 bytes more to get the game to run

Can anybody tell me what I can do? Is there a way to make the CDROM version of the game not require the CD?

Would making my ME box into a 98SE box and going to pure dos mode work?

Trisk
Trisk is offline                         Send a private message to Trisk