Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #131
chewychompy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teledingo @ May 12 2005, 07:10 AM) [snapback]106563[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How the heck do I get out of test run mode? I built an elementary car and started test driving and ever since I have been on a long, slow boring drive... how do I get back to the factory?!?
[/b]

Hit escape.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #132
Chewychompy

Hi everyone,

I tried tracking Max Design down to see if they would do anything with the game.

I really love this game, its great.

I think it could be so much more if they started working on it again.

I sent them an email asking them about the game.

http://support.sunflowers.de/index.php?_a=...mp;_i=LOU-76391

What suprised me was the lack of anything on Wikipedia!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #133

Well i saw all of the posts before but still can't start production.
If i start with whole car prod, i can't make them cause i have to build parts first. If i start with part prod first, i can't build anything cause of steel shortage...
Help anyone pls!

Old 13-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #134
laiocfar
NOD Commander

For first car you should import parts!!!!
Go to storage and select "get offer of parts". Later select an empty slot, it says "empty" and chose to fill it with chasis/motor/body from the parts that you got, by entering an number near the part name you will place order to import them. Dont waste all ytour money in that. You need it to buy the 3 things, body, chasis and motor + build a factory and pay workers.
Old 24-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #135
cK

Hi Guys,

as far as I experienced the German version is NOT bug-free. I have the problem that the game exits typically sometime between 1905 and 1920. After spending a lot of time trying old savegames I think that it happens when a certain (large) amount of cars is sold in one month or in total.

I remember that I got the same bug on my 486DX ten years ago and didn't play the game since then but it's still really intriguing!

So has anyone else experienced this bug? Does it happen in the English version too? The only work-around I found to complete the game is to stop selling cars, cut down all expenses and click "next turn" until 1930 :-(. I would really like to just have the cannot-develop-more-engines-bug ;-).

cK

Old 28-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #136
laiocfar
NOD Commander

you forgot to descrive the bug!!!
Old 28-08-2006, 07:43 AM   #137

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cK @ Aug 24 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]250767[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
the game exits[/b]
It simply exits ;-). No error-message. Nothing.

cK

Old 04-09-2006, 03:45 AM   #138
laiocfar
NOD Commander

very philosofic :O
Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #139
tinkles

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jia Wen @ Apr 18 2006, 04:47 AM) [snapback]223259[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Is there like a manual or something because I don't like know how to sell the cars or which parts to get coz when i try to get offers for spare parts i have to go through everything to find which stuff the guy will look for.
[/b]

Jia,

And for those that are having trouble making moolah:

I broke this game out again a couple of days ago. Some of you may have read my last post from '05 where I wrorte a whole page dedicated to the strategy of the business.

I stand by my first post. You have to look at the game like any business - your job is to basically make money. Buy low. Sell High. Take educated risks for big retun; diversify, diversify, diversify and be flexible. Nothing more could be true in this game.

I have never made it all the way through the game, as I spend a lot of time honing the years around the start of WWI for maximum profitablitiy before the crash. If you know your history you know who was attacking who in the region and can benefit from knowing. I have made myself a big time millionaire just from using the simplest startegy I can think of...CONTROL YOUR COSTS.

For example: the game doesn't do a great job tracking information from month to month, year to year; you will notice there's no overall sales queue or anything like that, it's only tracked by the month. There is a Profit/Loss section in your account book but that all goes away after Dec. 31. My suggestion is to keep track of your sales month-by month; see where you are as far as the part output to where you're only making enough vehicles to sell...don't get yourself caught in a huge stockpile of cars and not be able to sell them - you must make them only as you need them, keeping only a safe amount (say 1 1/2-2 months supply) in your stock to ensure good profitablity. In your logbook it lists your cars in stock as assests; this is correct if you had to sell your business and everything has a "value;" but how much have you spent in labor & manufacturing on those cars? I'm in the car business myself and products collecting dust on your shelves that aren't moving are a liabilty and not an assest in that sense. Make only what you need. Watch your supply. Don't en masse a huge stockpile of engines and chassis expecting to sell them off later unless you've saved the game and you're absolutely sure they'll sell with a new body or other config. After all, how much did it cost you to make all those parts?

I made more than 17 million bucks selling not 5 but 1 car - concentrating on keeping labor costs down by shifting around your manufacturing - keep an eye on your sales to ensure you're only making what you need and keeping up in case there's a sales spike (which happens periodically.) Big, huge factories are VERY expensive and I reccommend you wait as long as your can without building them. After all, if you can utilize several small medium-sized factories then do so.

Slashing the costs of your cars will not make you any more money, it will only move them off your stockpiles faster. Price your cars somewhere in the range of a healthy profit after studying how much they cost to make (usually $500-$2500 to make) and work from there. If you have a specialty car (say, a 2-seat sporty car) that you only want to sell in small volumes to keep demand high, don't price it too low. After all, a lucrative product demands a higher price.
I'm still investigating on whether the game takes into account the body style and how much demnd there is from style to style (Say Hard tops of differing look). I know that there is a "build quality" moniker on the part description page the author no doubt buried a variable in the code there to affect how well the car sells. This is my guess, BTW.

I noticed I found an easy method to keep traack of part stocks month to month is keep your supplies stock (i.e. chassis, engines) in one warehouse and your product to sell (finished goods) in another to see how much they move month to month. This way you don't have supplies all over the place when trying to figure out why you have a delivery problem.

When you sell your cars, don't be afraid of being behind too much; if you can't make orders for that month don't worry if you're a few short. Step up your factories' speed (I.e. SLOW, NORMAL, FAST, INHUMAN, etc.) to compensate. I am still waiting to see if there are any reprocutions for working your employees to the bone (INHUMAN) but I have yet to see it. It is a good idea to watch your sales carefully, as it is the number one reason you are in the business. If you have a slump figure out if it's just the environment (i.e. WW1) or if the model has lagged behind and needs a freshening (an industry term). Throw a new body on it and see if your sales pick up. In the meantime, stop factories; lay off some workers; factories and labor cost money and hurt your bottom line. Remember: long-term profitablity lies in controlling your costs month to month with steady growth, not expecting a huge profit on a hot model. You can sell cars all day and not make any money if you don't control your spending.

If anyone needs any further help let me know!

tinkles

tinkles is offline                         Send a private message to tinkles
Old 28-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #140

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JubJUb @ May 12 2005, 09:56 AM) [snapback]106594[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
:help: :help: Hi All

I cant get motor city to work. any ideas?

thanks
:help:
[/b]
use dos - box for this game. Work perfectly on xp pro with sound. Set speed around 22000-26000 frames