Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default Salvaging components

Hi folks.

I have stumbled upon an open and derelict computer box outside someone home while talking a walk. It was already open underneath and protected from the elements from the top and it didn't rain yet so I am fairly confident that it was placed there recently and that the component is still good.

What bother me is that when I looked on the net for compatibility to make sure it won't cause problems I stumbled on this page.

Opening my own box, I can fairly easily see that my motherboard is a MSI KM4M. It is not listed in the compatible motherboard list. More precisely, MSI is listed but there is no mention of KM4M or anything similar.

I have little experience with building my own computers and whatnot. Anybody have an idea what would happen if I tried removing my current 512meg memory stick and replace it with this 1gig (supposedly incompatible) memory stick?

Let's not forget that this computer is 11 to 12 years old now and I would not be surprised that MSI don't list this motherboard into more modern compatibility components anymore. Or maybe someone know if those companies are very thorough with their older models even today for those lists?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Please disregard as I've found the reason myself.

Digging further, I've found this page about ram on KM4M motherboards:
Quote:
RAM

Both the L and V motherboards have two slots for 184-pin DDR DIMMs. Both can support up to 2 GB of PC-1600, PC-2100, or PC-2700 DDR SDRAM.
I've found a PDF with exact specifications of the salvaged memory stick I've got and it is listed as a "240-pin DIMM".

It is quite obvious that the reason why it is listed as incompatible is because of the difference in pins, even though both sticks seem to be exactly the same size.

Oh well. One way or another it was free to try.