Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #41
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

then shouldn't be there "more colorful" download buttons as well?
it's like putting a cotton candy stand in the middle of the insurance company main hall
Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #42
zymn
Forum hobbit

is there any way to remove all the ESA protected games? it gets in the way alot, and gets me ticked off when i really want to play a game, and i can't...
zymn is offline                         Send a private message to zymn
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #43
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymn View Post
is there any way to remove all the ESA protected games? it gets in the way alot, and gets me ticked off when i really want to play a game, and i can't...
Removing protected games is not going to happen for two reasons (at least). First, any game currently protected may be unprotected (abandoned) later and for that reason we'll keep the games and reviews. Secondly, Abandonia is more than about free games, it is also a museum where you can drop by and see what games used to be like. It's easy to forget that the free games here could be considered more of a bonus than the actual and only purpose of Abandonia.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #44
dosraider
Dismembered.

As said before -(in other topics)-, the site isn't only about downloading games.
And those games can become downloadable in time. Some have put effort in writing reviews, taking screenshots ... whatever.
And it is not because a game isn't downloadable that it can't have a discussion topic on the forum. Plenty peeps like to discuss games here, downloadable or not.

Of course if you consider Abandonia and similar sites as suited only to grab free stuff, I understand that you get 'ticked off'....

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #45
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

IIRC, there should be a way to filter them out from your searches.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #46
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Having a look at the FAQ, I noticed the list of the different status icons are nowhere to be found, only their explaination. I'm currently using IE and don't know if using Firefox will help. Anyway, with the explaination and no icon to go with that explaination, telling people to read the FAQ won't do as much good as if the icons were included in the FAQ.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #47
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
# What do all the icons in the game listing stand for?

The game is protected by The ESA and cannot be downloaded. To learn more about what that means, please consult this page.
The game is still for sale by its producer. A link to the company's webshop will be provided and the game cannot be downloaded.

The game is available for download. Just click the "Get it" button and the download will commence!
The game is backed up with extras such as manuals, walkthroughs, codes etc.
The game features some kind of a multiplayer mode.
A link to box scans of the game can be found in the extras box on the game page.
Music from the game can be separately downloaded in the music section or by following a link in the extras box.
Looks understandable enough to me.

[Edit]
Except that the link for this is borked.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 07-04-2008 at 10:48 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #48
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Looks understandable enough to me.
Yes it does.
But mind the standard USERS! :confused:

Serious, there will always be people that ask what to do next if there is a --->CLICK HERE<--link on the page. :amused:
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #49
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Perhaps it does because you have seen the icons already so even if they're not there, you have no trouble "matching the right icon to the right line of text". Thing is, above it is promised you will find a list of all the icons, but you won't. Perhaps others who are unfamiliar with these icons are looking for something icon-looking. We still get questions about that NO 90, but if that piece of text was acompanied by the NO GO icon, then perhaps their light bulb would light up before asking "what's wrong with the number 90?".
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #50
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Midget View Post
Perhaps it does because you have seen the icons already so even if they're not there, you have no trouble "matching the right icon to the right line of text". Thing is, above it is promised you will find a list of all the icons, but you won't. Perhaps others who are unfamiliar with these icons are looking for something icon-looking. We still get questions about that NO 90, but if that piece of text was acompanied by the NO GO icon, then perhaps their light bulb would light up before asking "what's wrong with the number 90?".
I'm very tempted to make more jokes on the newbies, but enough. :amused:

Yes, that might bring the problem a bit closer to solution. But some people will still ask before thinking or reading. This we cannot avoid. :notrust: