Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
vendetta7

hi there! i'm all new on this forum. but not on gaming...

i browsed the forum quite a while now, and often found comments like: "although game XY is abandoned we will not make it available due to server load. it's too big".

so here is my proposal: just publish ed2k links! of course someone has to start it, but as i know the scene it takes only days (hours?!) to spread, and the user base is big enough to keep it online always (well, virtually).

there are games in the ed2k-net (accessed via eDonkey2000,eMule,aMule,shareazaa,various mods, on various platforms), of almost every flavour, but it has sometimes has the flavour of illegality. you (abandonia) publishing links to "free" software could take some of it away, AND massively take load off your servers. for if some game has 100 downloads from your server, maybe 50 people have emule running, and then the next fan just has to click the ed2k-link and has 50 sources, instead of the single one of your server again...

that includes not only BIG files (which are totally inaccessable up to now) but even 'normal-sized' ones. real fanatics will keep these in their shared folders, believe me!

also it would make it easier to make localized versions of a certain abandoned game available. i personally don't mind playing games in english, but my girlfriend preferrs to play in her mothertongue... so for the sake of her..

greetings, vendetta7

vendetta7 is offline                         Send a private message to vendetta7
Old 10-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Thing is.... how do we prevent people from sharing Doom 1 and 2 on this network?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

If this thing is to start at ABANDONIA then it's the responsibility of Abandonia to keep it clean. That's almost impossible.
There's a good reason such system has the feel of illegality to it and if Abandonia would join it would only ruin its good name.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jun 10 2005, 05:30 PM
If this thing is to start at ABANDONIA then it's the responsibility of Abandonia to keep it clean. That's almost impossible.
There's a good reason such system has the feel of illegality to it and if Abandonia would join it would only ruin its good name.
you mean its quite good name
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

See what I mean?

Even our long time trustworthy respected and contributing members don't think we're all that perfect.
Now imagine what would happen if we'd agree to this idea...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

You could use BitTorrent for big or normal-sized games. I don't think there is a way to share with it games like DOOM.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 10-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
vendetta7

Quote:
Thing is.... how do we prevent people from sharing Doom 1 and 2 on this network?
sure, you don't!...

BUT: it should not keep you away from spreading legal stuff! i don't see much difference between putting some file out via FTP and putting it out via ed2k-link... (*)

after all, if you 'release' the files with a name of XY-[www.abandonia.com].zip people can search for the name in brackets and find (and download) files from your site, without your servers even bothered.

it just is longer-lived than any torrent link...

of course you can get d**m versions there either, but you can get them also on FTP, but no one sane would ban FTP, would he?

apart from that, a game considered abandoned could be spread in any other language than english, as soon as someone gives a link to that game in E,F,D,PL,RU... (name it)

(*) right, i DO see a difference! FTP is single source (putting much stress on the single source; ED2K is multiple source, putting minimal stress on the single sources....
vendetta7 is offline                         Send a private message to vendetta7
Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
xoopx
Hero Gamer

look at it this way: with the recent ESA problem, they disabled the download of all the ESA games pretty damn quick.
how would you put the genie back in the bottle if the games you wanted to stop sharing were spread out as bittorrents and edonkey or whatever? the location of the files wouldnt be abandonia's problem, but the fact it linked the files in the first place could come back to haunt them (cause bad feeling with software companies/organisations) - and theyd have no way to remove themselves from the association with the files.
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #9
Zxby
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Abi79@Jun 10 2005, 06:19 PM
You could use BitTorrent for big or normal-sized games. I don't think there is a way to share with it games like DOOM.
I was JUST about to suggest that. BT is the way to go - even HOTU uses BT

Also, Abandonia can use BT to save on space and bandwidth on any large game offered greater than, say 5 megs.

Finally, Abandonia would only be responsible for posting the BT files for the legal games you want to post. If you are concerned about people BT'ing Doom 1 or Doom 2, then dont host the BT file - problem solved.
Zxby is offline                         Send a private message to Zxby
Old 11-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?s...2&hl=bittorrent

I have nothing whatsoever against the idea of using Bittorrents and/or ed2k as long as they are provided as an alternative way and not as the only way of downloading the games. That being said, I have to agree that it is rather risky especially since it concerns the good name of Abandonia.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi