Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Dave

Im quite new to this, I've been going through the DosBox tutorial here. I've downloaded the game. I've extracted it (hopefully i did this right) extracted every last file (there were about 100 or so) into my little CDrive file that I made. I think i'm supposed to find a file called setup/configuration but this still eludes me :blink: .

I've got this far

C:\CIV>CIV1>dir

CIV EXE 304,512 bytes

Dos was in use when i was a little tike, I remeber EXE signifying what i was to type for EXcitment in my mind. I'm pretty sure the game is there, I just havn't set it up "to make it go" :help: :blink:

Is this configuration file really there? is it known by any other name? when i find it what do i do with it? (cuz i wana beat the living tar outa it :ranting: )

and finnaly am I right that this file is the problem?

if i'm not providing enough info ask away

thx in advance

Old 28-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Master MC
Hero Gamer

You actually don't need DosBOX to run Civ, it works fine on Windows, if you choose IBM sounds (works for me). (I believe the options are 1-2-1.)
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 28-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

.exe stands for "executable".

You are right assuming that you need to run civ.exe to run the game. It seem to run quite fine on my computer, assuming I choose the Pc Speaker option for sound. If I'd want to run the SoundBlaster setting then I would need to run DOSBox. Since the game ask for your preferences at startup you don't need to run the installation file.

Other than that, I have a very hard time trying to understand what your real problem is. What exactly stop you from playing? I noticed that the game crashed on me at the end of the intro, but if you hit a key and bypass the intro you should be able to get to the game without problem.
Old 29-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Dave

thanks guys, you were right, I actually didnt need DosBox. It's running very slow though,
Units move accross the board slowly, "animations" seem to take forever to "materialize" I think I've read about this before but, I'm not sure if that was civ2. Is this something I havnt set right?

These games are taking forever.
In the time it takes my wisemen to figure out one technology I could have looked up the subject online and explained it all to them k:.

Old 30-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Gamefreak

You can increase the emulation speed of DosBox by raising the CPU cycles with CTRL+F12 (CTRL+F11 lowers). But if you raise them higher than your computer can handle, the emulation speed will go down again as the processor will become overloaded.

Old 30-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Master MC
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave@Jan 30 2006, 02:29 AM
thanks guys, you were right, I actually didnt need DosBox. It's running very slow though,
Units move accross the board slowly, "animations" seem to take forever to "materialize" I think I've read about this before but, I'm not sure if that was civ2. Is this something I havnt set right?

These games are taking forever.
In the time it takes my wisemen to figure out one technology I could have looked up the subject online and explained it all to them k:.
That's where the IBM sounds come in. I used to experience that dreadful and awful slowness as well, so I experimented with the sound options at the beginning.
I believe there were two configurations or so which enabled you to play normally, but one was very annoying so my best choice was IBM. You should try for yourself if that works for you.
Furthermore, I once tried running the game in DosBox, and there it went perfectly. Smooth, audible etcetera. The only thing running slow was the save-function
Master MC is offline                         Send a private message to Master MC
Old 30-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If the sound is the sole issue, you could also try VDMSound. It should work fine for SoundBlaster.
Old 30-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Master MC
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 30 2006, 05:55 PM
If the sound is the sole issue,
Sound, and the terribly slow gamespeed.
Old 30-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I remember something like that happening with Railroad Tycoon (the original). Try selecting MVGA graphics - should work faster, but I think you won't have animations.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos