Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-09-2006, 04:20 AM   #1
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

I have had a question for a long long time can you try and answer ?
ok my question is, if a person is blind, and has been all there life, when they go to sleep, Do they actualy see things in there dreams, if not, then what would there dreams be like ??? if they have never seen colour then how can they dream? its just puzzled me for a long time. i would like to hear your points of view on this.
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 18-09-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Morrin
Underground

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GAME-CRACK @ Sep 18 2006, 04:20 AM) [snapback]255711[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I have had a question for a long long time can you try and answer ?
ok my question is, if a person is blind, and has been all there life, when they go to sleep, Do they actualy see things in there dreams, if not, then what would there dreams be like ??? if they have never seen colour then how can they dream? its just puzzled me for a long time. i would like to hear your points of view on this.
[/b]
I have no idea, but since if they haven't seen anything ever, I guess they could see dreams of something more concrete, like shapes, surfaces, feelings more than visual. And ofcourse depends on how blind one is. Some can see blurrily, colors etc while some see absolutely blank.

But I don't know for more.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 18-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

"Sight" is not something which exist in itself, it's most like a name we created to mention something which doesn't exist but that almost every human being possess instinctively. In practice, what we call "sight" is the result of what our brain manage to analyse from all the stimulis coming out from our eyes. We "normal" humans take this for granted, and this is why we "see" in our dreams. Mainly because that's most of what we perceive in a day, and the dreams are only the reflect of what we know and a construct of what have or may happen in our life blended with emotions (such as fear, love, joy, etc).

Blind people can just "see" as well as anybody, it's only that their eyes don't work either at all or not good enough and that they don't have a normal "sight" like us. However, it been proved numerous times in the past that when a human lose one of their senses, the other senses tune up to compensate.

Like Morrin said, they probably dream of things just like us but in a different way. We could also hypothyse that even if someone is blind and never seen something or someone before, they can still create the image in their head just like another human being and still "see" something or someone in their dreams. Like I said above, the other senses of the blind people tune up a lot to compensate for the loss of the sight, and it's common knowledge that blind people can construct an image of something by "examinating" it with their hands. I guess it would be the exact same process than if you'd imagine a rotating cube in your mind (common mind projection excercice), but at a much, much bigger scale.
Old 18-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Himmler
Trollmaster General

they dream touchings
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 19-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
chainsoar
Master Debater

They probably dream colours, shapes, and all sorts of things that the mind of a seeing person, having been raised with some order in the world in terms of sight, could not comprehend. Their minds may well try to formulate pictures of what it thinks things might look like. It may try to piece together pictures of things the person is familiar with by touch. I'm sure blind people wonder at least sometimes what a person looks like, even if they know them by feeling the contours of their face and so on. But either way, I wouldn't say it was impossible for them to dream pictures, since dreams have nothing to do with the optic nerve that they lack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 23-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

Eagle of Fire Posted Sep 18 2006, 07:22 AM
"Sight" is not something which exist in itself, it's most like a name we created to mention something which doesn't exist but that almost every human being possess instinctively. In practice, what we call "sight" is the result of what our brain manage to analyse from all the stimulis coming out from our eyes. We "normal" humans take this for granted, and this is why we "see" in our dreams. Mainly because that's most of what we perceive in a day, and the dreams are only the reflect of what we know and a construct of what have or may happen in our life blended with emotions (such as fear, love, joy, etc).

Blind people can just "see" as well as anybody, it's only that their eyes don't work either at all or not good enough and that they don't have a normal "sight" like us. However, it been proved numerous times in the past that when a human lose one of their senses, the other senses tune up to compensate.

Like Morrin said, they probably dream of things just like us but in a different way. We could also hypothyse that even if someone is blind and never seen something or someone before, they can still create the image in their head just like another human being and still "see" something or someone in their dreams. Like I said above, the other senses of the blind people tune up a lot to compensate for the loss of the sight, and it's common knowledge that blind people can construct an image of something by "examinating" it with their hands. I guess it would be the exact same process than if you'd imagine a rotating cube in your mind (common mind projection excercice), but at a much, much bigger scale.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I like your answer.
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 24-09-2006, 04:19 AM   #7
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

remember that awful movie "Daredevil," when the rain falls and he can kind of "see" what the girl looks like? Yeah, that's kind of how I imagine blind people "see" when they touch things.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ