Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: which games are better old games or new games
old games( 80s-90s) 68 82.93%
new games (year 2000-today) 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #21
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Well, the whole "rushed" thing is there. Back in the days, they have polished the games until the last moment, perfecting existing features and hammering all the bugs, since they knew they wouldn't have a chance later.

Now, with the expansion of Internet, the whole thing changed. Also computer game magazines had their part in that, especially since the popularization of cover CD's (one or more). Developers rush the games out to fit in the deadlines set by the company who employed them, hoping that any bugs in the final release they can fix lat some later date via a patch.

Man, how mad this makes me you cannot imagine.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
racer
Forum hobbit

Oldies all nite and all day long

Nice topic by here

It depends on what type of game we are talking about. Let´s take racing games. It´s obvious that GP2 is worse than GP4. BUT to enjoy GP4 to the limit one has to have a 3Ghz machine, armed with a light speed fueled graphic card, and GP4 has thousands of bugs that make it unplayable in some modern hardware.(hyperthreading, freezes, low FPS and a long etc.)

RPG´s are not as good like the oldies definitively. And how many RPG´s were realized in 2004? I can use just both hands to count them. How many were programmed from 90 to 2000? Too many to enjoy now and without spending big money luckily. One can play 2 or 3 hours with a modern RPG, and for 1 or 2 months with an old one.

Also, have in mind that games industry is taking a different path. Now they´re more oriented to games consoles, puting aside the PC market. PC´s just have too many different hardware combinations and compatibility problems.

A modern computer costs money, a very good graphic card cost money, 1 ghz memories, 1ghz HDD, and DVD drives too (and one has to keep spending money in hardware to catch up).

Mr. Bill had the skill to bring us Direct3D, XP, and put DOS in a hole. Now, we´re using eating memory computers to handle the D3D routines, lurking Win XP and coders have to do the major effort to work it out.

There´s nothing like a good old RPG at 1 am with your favourite beer, with or without your gurlfriend, and not having to worry if the game (or Windoze) will crash in the next minute. The command line still rocks :whistle:

racer is offline                         Send a private message to racer
Old 29-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #23
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

I voted for new games.Why?
I think that games evolve....There still coming out original and great that of which will my generation remember as "classic".Most people forget that there were DOZENS of non-original crap games that just copied everything from "classics" in the "good old times"...There are now forgotten as will be forgotten most of todays "ah so good commercial 1000 and 1 clone games"...The only difference is that now,there is greater amount of these games...
And about hundred and thousands good original and perfect old games in the past and just few good original games in present?
a)The 80ties and early 90ties, was beginning of game era,so almost every third idea was new,original and revolutionary...Now it is more(and "more" is VERY weak word) difficult to get some originality in the game...
b)80-90 were 20 year decade.And there is just 5 year decade from 2000+.Of course that there is more good older games that new ones!Just give it time...
I wont stop playing my favorite oldies. The time has tested which games are really worth to play and finish.But I will still buy,play and like new games becouse I am sure that after another 10 years there will be lot of them that will honourosly bear the title "classic"

EDIT:My first post was little plain and stupid so I editet it now
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 29-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #24
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

There was a post that said:
- New games arent original anymore.
NO!!!!!! :tai:
WTH????? Imagine a guy who invented a game idea in the 1600s and a guy who invented the same idea NOT knowing of the guy who thought of it earlier. Who is then the ORIGINAL creator??? :whistle:

I think that old and new games are equally great. :whistle:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 30-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #25
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Problem: Is this really the case?

Sometimes, maybe (although it doesn't necessarily has to happen nowadays).
Indeed it is getting harder to be original, but sometimes people don't even try. Staying with a fixed formula can be a sure way to make good bucks.
Looking back, I see this problem in the past too, though...
Old 30-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #26
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

I voted new ones. The gaming industry has become a huge industry so I suppose the games of today appeal to a wider audience. On the other hand my favorite games are all from the 90's, but I believe that's more a question of generations (I'm now 24).
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 30-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #27
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I had to null my vote.

And about originality, a lot of games have been made, and there are a lot of stories and there are a lot of games genres, it's not easy comming up with something original now, saying the games of today are not as original as the games of the 80's and 90's is an invalid arguement. What the *meep* do you want game creators to do?
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 30-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #28
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

-try- to be original...
Sometimes they don't even try, you know.
Old 30-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #29
KingTizz

I play through something like say Half-Life 2 and i finished it in less than a week, not really trying that hard and it just felt empty, no sense of achievement. When i complete something like say UFO on superhuman i feel like a god.

Newer games are shallow, very few pull you in and make you play till you finish. I used to look at a clock and realise it was 5am all the time, not done that in years. I once played settlers 2 for 3 days solid (before the time speed up thing was added). Even the supposedly 'best' games of the moment never keep me hooked for more than a couple of hours.
KingTizz is offline                         Send a private message to KingTizz
Old 30-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #30
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, I've enjoyed playing every single game I own... :whistle:
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546