Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
skywing17

Default Abuse Game Error

Hi everyone. I really didn't want my first post on this forum to be a troubleshooting one, but everywhere I look I can't get a straight answer for this problem. Yesterday I downloaded Abuse here at Abandonia. When I try to run it on dosbox on one of my computers I get an error message.

ERROR:
Unable to open cache file for compiled code.
Please delete all files named lcacheXX.tmp
and make sure you gave write permission to
directory (C:\)

Here's a picture of the error message:

I actually tried downloading it again on a different computer... and it worked!!! I played it for about an hour and thought it was awesome. I was going to play it again today, and when when I went to run it the error message popped up!

I know people have said to play the windows version if there are problems with dosbox, and believe me I've tried. No matter what I do that game will not run.

If anybody has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. I've tried looking for a file called lcacheXX.tmp in my Abuse directory and everywhere else on my computer with no luck whatsoever.
skywing17 is offline                         Send a private message to skywing17
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywing17 View Post
if there are problems with dosbox, and believe me I've tried. No matter what I do that game will not run.
Game runs prima in dosbox.....

Your mount is totally screwed up.
Quote:
mount a c:\dosgames\abuse
Is plain wrong friend.

Try this:

mount c c:\dosgames
C:
cd abuse
abuse

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 07-07-2010 at 07:11 PM. Reason: grmmmmpfffff ... getting old it seems ..... :/
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
skywing17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Game runs prima in dosbox.....

Your mount is totally screwed up.

Is plain wrong friend.

Try this:

cd abuse
abuse
Holy crap it worked!!! Thanks alot! Sorry, I'm not incredibly experienced with dosbox. I keep all my games in folders of their own (in my C:\dosgames folder), and usually it's just a matter of mounting the folder for the game and running the application.

I'm guessing this is a more proper way to mount, so I'll have to remember it in the future.

Thanks!

skywing17 is offline                         Send a private message to skywing17
Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
I keep all my games in folders of their own (in my C:\dosgames folder), and usually it's just a matter of mounting the folder for the game and running the application.
If you use that mount in your screenshot it's sheer luck that your games run.
Many dosgames won't run that way. (Wrong path, no C, no C:\game\ ... etcetera etcetera ...blah blah blah ...)
As you keep all your games in C:\dosgames\ you should automount that folder as C:

Open dosboxconfig (in start menu items) scroll completely down and add under header [autoexec]

c:

That way when you run dosbox your virtual C will be mounted automatically.

And maybe, maybe take the time to read some tutorials ......

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
skywing17

I'm serious, I've done it that way for Doom, Jazz Jackrabbit and tons of other games. And I actually do usually mount to C, but it doesn't seem to matter what letter of virtual dirve I use to mount to. And since I sometimes like to switch between multiple games in one sitting (instead of exiting dosbox and remounting) I just mount to a different letter. So I've gotten into a habbit of just starting at A and working my way up. Hence why it says A in the picture.

Abuse is the first game ever to react to this. Since it's never been a problem for me before I didn't think something as simple as that could be the problem.

Anyways, thanks for your help. I'll do as you suggest and read some tutorials -_-
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
And I actually do usually mount to C, but it doesn't seem to matter what letter of virtual dirve I use to mount to.
In DOS, A and B letters were reserved for floppy drives. Some games can run that way regardless, but others will refuse to.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman