Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #31
DosFreak

There's no need for an "autoexec.bat". Use the Autoexec section in dosbox.conf

Quote:
I would never recommend someone with a CPU lower than 1gigahertz to use DOSBox and expect it to run any game fine.
Well then your not helping much. There are MANY games that can be run with less than 1ghz processors under DosBox. Probably none that YOU want to play but still many many games.

Old 26-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #32
Shifter
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Shifter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jul 24 2005, 06:47 PM
It really depend of what computer you have. I would never recommend someone with a CPU lower than 1gigahertz to use DOSBox and expect it to run any game fine.
I have a good computer and it runs (on default settings) a lot of the games poorly. I prefer using VDMS as it runs perfect..except no window mode..

I have an AMD 3200+, 1gig Ram, Radeon 9800XT 256MB...

So you'd think games would run decent on the default settings..but they don't..and I don't really know how to set em..and..I use D-Fend.
Old 26-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #33
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Probably none that YOU want to play but still many many games.
I completely agree with you. I simply don't see what your quote have to do with expectations and recommendations, what my first quote was about.

Quote:
I have a good computer and it runs (on default settings) a lot of the games poorly. I prefer using VDMS as it runs perfect..except no window mode..

I have an AMD 3200+, 1gig Ram, Radeon 9800XT 256MB...

So you'd think games would run decent on the default settings..but they don't..and I don't really know how to set em..and..I use D-Fend.
I think I have a computer rather similar to yours (tough I'm no computer expert, I don't know for sure how fast a 3200+ CPU is.) and, as the first person I quoted said 2 posts above, a lot of games run perfectly fine with DOSBox default configuration, and this on really lower machines than us.

The key reference to keep track of in this is that DOSBox emulate a lot of stuff. So, basically, when you turn DOSBox on it emulates everything a 486 machine used in the days without exception. Since emulating require a lot of CPU ressources, this is why we just can't really emulate higher than a "good 486". And even then, you still need a good machine to raise the cycles high enough to get to a "good 486". This is why I always recommend at least 1gigahertz if you want to use DOSBox.

Now, for the games which doesn't run "decently" on DOSBox... Recently I bought Conquest of the New World and it came with the full box and manual etc. When I tryied to play it with DOSBox, it worked... But not good enough to really be enjoyable. The cinematics are very choppy and the game is very slow, even at max cycles my computer can throw. The reason is very simply tough; if you look at my box, it says the game can be run on a 486... But Pentium is heavily recommended!

As I remember playing Conquest of the New World both on a good 486 and a Pentium back in the old days... I can tell you that the emulation of DOSBox is rather perfectly accurate, tough uninteresting...
Old 30-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #34
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

You can make a 733mhz play crusader: no remorse with sound just fine k:

The default settings even on an uber computer can't play many games like this.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 31-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #35
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by DosFreak@Jul 26 2005, 08:37 AM
There's no need for an "autoexec.bat". Use the Autoexec section in dosbox.conf
There is none in the MAC version ....
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 31-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #36
Data
retired

yes there is. you just have to create a configuration file for dosbox as descriped in the documentation.
Old 31-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #37
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Maybe dosbox should have more editing options. Like some emulators have a "small speed up in mdecs" perhaps something like that?
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 06-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #38
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Now unpinned to keep the forum clean.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #39
Skumpaq
Abandonia nerd

What about the problem where the sound gets choppy when you raise the cycles to get the game run more smooth?
Skumpaq is offline                         Send a private message to Skumpaq
Old 07-08-2005, 05:29 AM   #40
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That's not a problem, is a direct effect of your computer running out of resources. When you go too high in cycle for your computer then the game will begin to slow up instead of running faster and if you keep doing it then you'll get the very same problems that you might encounter from running a game with too low cycles.

Stutering sound and jumpy mouse are both common problems associated with too low/too high cycles.