Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-07-2005, 07:12 PM   #21
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

There are several programs that fix hard disk problems, or to be more exact let you recover data. IIRC the latest issue of Personal Computing World (UK ed) has one of them (full edition) for free on its coverdisk. If you could get a copy of that magazine it might help you. (It is also a good magazine).
I might go to a shop later tonight so I could have a look for its name. I can't get it and send you the program electronicaly because it costs a bit over 3 GBP and I have 10 for another 10 days...
You might want to have a look at www.download.com or perhaps even zdnet for programs to help you recover data. Or even yahoo,google etc.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 24-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #22
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

I've looked everywhere but no program for my problem. I found a horde of disk recovery progs but those only undelet or unformat drives and recover data from unreadable partitions.
The fact, that my partition IS readable and fully functional disables any "regular" disk recovery options... sadly...

What I need, is a program that can edit, so to say "recover", the file system (Mft) indexes of files that CHKDSK was so kindly "fixed" for me <_<

By the way, I've downloaded Memtest-86 and checked my memory modules. The first test reveales 2546 errors with the memories and freezed. I re-seated the modules then the test passed without problems.
From time to time, the comp lost 128 Mb of RAM somewhere. At the next restart the RAM was fully 766 Mb again, I don't get it
I tested all the modules individually (I have a 512 and two 128 modules), but the individual tests passed too. Now all RAMs working without problems

I think one of the RAM modules was malfunctioning time to time, and that caused the screen distortion AND the HD corruption(AGP and PCI Fast Write and Read was enabled so the video card had direct access to system RAM). I think The malfunctioning RAM module caused CHKDSK to misdetect the HD and recognized the working indexes as bad ones and "corrected" them accordingly.

Any opinions?

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 24-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
xoopx
Hero Gamer

yeah i had that years ago.. a bad SIMM and it caused weird problems, especially with windows95 disk error checking.. and the "corrections" it made were in fact corrupting the harddsisk data
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 25-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #24
Koen
Game Wizzard

Does a 4 year old motherboard support harddisks of 200 GB?

Dunno, I have a 5 year old motherboard, and it had already errors with a harddisk with capacity higher than 40 GB, also read/write errors. I needed to update my bios...
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 25-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #25
Shifter
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Shifter

This is a far-stretch..but one time I had the same problem and it was a bad graphics card.

At first, just lines on the screen and sometimes discoloring..then later it started freezing. I returned the card under warranty and it solved my problem.

It's a long shot..but it's probably the easiest and cheapest thing to check.
Old 25-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #26
piepsi

Have you tried EasyRecovery? I have heard about similar CHKDSK phenomenons - not that big though - and that tool worked it out.
piepsi is offline                         Send a private message to piepsi
Old 26-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #27
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
By the way, I've downloaded Memtest-86 and checked my memory modules. The first test reveales 2546 errors with the memories and freezed. I re-seated the modules then the test passed without problems.
From time to time, the comp lost 128 Mb of RAM somewhere. At the next restart the RAM was fully 766 Mb again, I don't get it*
I tested all the modules individually (I have a 512 and two 128 modules), but the individual tests passed too. Now all RAMs working without problems*
Looks like a defective memory socket to me. Tried checking the RAM modules with _each_and_every_ of the sockets, one after another?

The display problems might be caused by several reasons:
-faulty GPU
-faulty screen
-corrupted drivers

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #28
Decalies
Forum hobbit

Send a message via MSN to Decalies

I also can't seem to help that much. But first thing I would do is get the HDD out of that computer and connect it as master on the second IDE on a different computer. Then it seems a bit safer to check that HDD. As far as recovery goes, the only program I know is indeed Easy Recovery.

For the problems I also thought at first 'just' a VGA problem - maybe it's getting too hot - but that doesn't seem to explain the HDD problems. Could your powersupply be the problem? Since you get different problems, like RAM, VGA and HDD?

Maxtor has a tool to check the HDD for errors, called powermax. You can download it at the Maxtor homepage. Don't know how useful it is, though. Good luck!
Decalies is offline                         Send a private message to Decalies
Old 27-07-2005, 10:13 PM   #29
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

I dled PowerMAX and checked the HD for sure (Adv test and Burn In test) all tests passed with flying colors So my HD is allright.
That Easy Recovery seems good, but I cannot test it right now, my comp is in service right now (I'm here from my fathers laptop).
I hope they can do something with my corrupted data. IF not not, I'll try that easy Recovery thanks k:

By the way, my videocard problems seems to be over, no more screen destortion or any problem for a long time now, even with Battlefield 2 at high settings

Thx for ALL your help, youre so kind k:

I'll report in if I have some more news. Stand by.

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 31-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #30
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

MY computer IS DEAD!!! R.I.P.

MY motherboard finally died after a long agony. No picture no sound nothing, just the blank darkness and long beeps. "beeeeeep........beeeeep.......beeeeeep......"

So it seems all my problems were connected to my motherboard dying.

Ps: Anyone know a good and cheap SocketA motherboard?