Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #41
PsyK

Quote:
*ack* 53 mb and no download manager... :'( nofair I wannit
well to be fair, you can get around that if you actually have a download manager. I had to because otherwise i couldn't have got it either.
PsyK is offline                         Send a private message to PsyK
Old 29-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #42
Old school jedi

Quote:
Originally posted by shoes23@Dec 26 2004, 04:31 AM
Haven't had a chance to download this one yet, but I remember playing it back in about 1995 and to this day it is the only game where one mission crushed all my gaming skill and almost brought me to tears with frustration! I think it is in Episode 2 where you need to protect a small outpost with an A-wing, while wave after wave of Tie Fighters and Tie Bombers assualt your small puny ship and the outpost.* Going to try the game now...with my luck I'll beat that mission with no hangups this time* :Titan:
If I'm remembering correctly from way way back...
The trick to that (and many other missions where it's endless enemies) was to destroy 2 out the 3 attackers in any wave, and then damage the 3rd one bad enough to make make it turn around and return to it's star destroyer (without destroying it! Once you destroyed the whole wave, another is instantly launched - whereas if the crippled ship has to fly back, you get lots of extra time to fight other enemies)
Hope this helps...

Old 29-12-2004, 01:45 AM   #43
einherjar

As a general rule, when protecting craft from TIE Bombers making torpedo runs, attack one bomber until it breaks away and focus on the other Bombers with the same strategy. You could also assign a bomber to your wingmen, if you have them, while you concentrate on another bomber.

Old 29-12-2004, 02:16 AM   #44
goblins
Game Wizzard

yeah it was a simple enough strategy back then the AI wasnt smart compared with todays space fighter sims. Still it was a tough game with sheer numbers overwealming you in the later stages of the game level missions.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 29-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #45
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Quote:
Originally posted by PsyK@Dec 29 2004, 01:47 AM
well to be fair, you can get around that if you actually have a download manager. I had to because otherwise i couldn't have got it either.
umm... hello? You do notice that download managers are not allowed to be used on the site? I would use one if I could. And babysitting a download for 2 hours isn't fun.
Old 29-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #46
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

It depends what you mean by 'download manager'. Programs which just allow you to resume an interrupted download don't hurt; they'll actually reduce the site's bandwidth costs because you're not downloading the start of the same file over and over again.

Programs which also try to "accelerate" your download by making several connections at once reduce performance for everyone else, and are a bad thing.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 29-12-2004, 11:27 PM   #47
IronShemp

Quote:
Originally posted by einherjar+Dec 28 2004, 02:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (einherjar @ Dec 28 2004, 02:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire@Dec 27 2004, 03:47 AM
Quote:
The copy I had was 5 "floppy" disks (called hard disks back then),
Floppies never been called "hard disk". An HD is what is several gig big in your computer and allow you to stuff on it...

I never had that much problem completing any of X-Wing missions. God knows that I almost scrapped my mouse playing this game tough! :blink:
Are you sure? They were always called hard disks around here, and the harder disks were hard drives. The 5" (or so) disks were floppy disks.[/b][/quote]
Well even though the 5" disks were 'floppy' and the 3" ones were in a 'hard' plastic case, both the 5 and the 3" are 'Floppy' disks because they're made of a 'floppy' material inside.

Hard Disk is called that because it's a metal platter, not floppy mylar.

And as long as I'm being picky - does anyone else think it's weird that if it's a hard disk or a floppy disk it's spelled disK and if it's a CD it's spelled disC?

btw-
I love this game.
Wasted much of my youth playing it.
Now I'm re-wasting my adult-hood playing it.
=)
IronShemp is offline                         Send a private message to IronShemp
Old 30-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #48
goblins
Game Wizzard

well not quite off topic but

When reading this thread click on the banner ad above its 5c to the website - all those clicks add up. If 20 people click on the one ad there is $1.

Just remember to only click on each specific ad 4 times no more otherwise itstops working due to inbuilt google protection features.
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 31-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #49
Ancalagon

The 3.5" floppies may have been called hard originally but they definately stopped after the first true hard disk came out (which was a whopping 10 MB, and was partitioned to run two operating systems)
Also, how do you use wingmen in this game?
Ancalagon is offline                         Send a private message to Ancalagon
Old 31-12-2004, 10:50 PM   #50
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Please stop discussing the history of the floppy disk here.

Wingmen cannot be commanded in X-Wing. They behave on their own. You can get wingmen that are much better then the ones normally assigned. There is a pilot called "topace" he or she is the best the AI can be and you can assign him or her to any craft in the game shortly before take off. Be warned however that if this pilot is killed you will lose him or her fore-ever. Even in other campaigns you start with different pilots.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles