Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Err... and what's wrong with that?
You're not complaining if a mindless shooter gets harder and the thinking players can't even get half way through... The why would you expect a thinking game to be made childlishly easy for people who can't play chess?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #22
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well that would be exceptable, except for the fact that they MURDER you, this isn't forgivable difficulty, this is just a slaughter.
You can't have fun that way, even the easiest difficulty levels are a strain.
That isn't proper challenge, that's just poor balance when it comes to the developer's part.

I'll stick with my Window Internet Chess.

I never said anything about first person shooters, if it's too hard for a thinking person, then it's too challenging period, that's why made Far Cry a poor game at first, a crappy save engine and far too difficult gameplay.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #23
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos+Nov 7 2005, 05:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sebatianos @ Nov 7 2005, 05:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DonCorleone@Nov 7 2005, 05:36 PM
it doesn´t work on XP...
What do you mean?
It works on Win XP, but the animation at the opening doesn't. So after seeing the Capstone logo the screen will go blank (with possibly some red squares), but then the chess board will show up and you can play normally.

For learning I still think that Sierra Power chess was the best one (but as far as I know it wonly works on Win 9x systems). [/b][/quote]
I meant chessmaster8000. Bought it a few years ago and it ran fluently on win2k.

But XP refuses. The game freezes, databases aren´t loaded etc.

An I don´t won´t learn chess from the scratch. That isn´t what I´m talking about. I

doubt that someone in here knows all possible openings. And I even don´t mean the

basic openings. That´s wahat I meant about learning chess.

Every child - and I´m far off being a child - knows how to handle the chessmen.

But I´m still far away from saying I know how to play chess. I play too seldom I think.

And no, the chessmaster engine isn´t really better than fritz´s.

I once let my chess-computer ( nah, not a good one) battle against fritz and fritz won

in less than 20 turns ( don´t know the exact number right now. Might be much more

less).

So what do you think where grandmaster chess has to be placed?
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 07-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #24
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

A-ha,
well the chaess engine isn't as strong as Fritz.
The openings the computer plays are far to repetitive (usually the Queens gambit).
Still you can learn a few things by analyzing the game (but then again you can do that with almost every chess programe out there).

For learning openings I still recomend a good chess manual (there are tons of books written on the subject) and for really improving your play - play against a human oponent stronger then you (computers still aren't intuative enough). There's the psychological effect a human player can provide that the computer never will be able to (lureing you into mistakes).

Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #25
STA-Spike

Indeed, this game is not too difficult.

But then again, im quite an advanced chessplayer...
(or actually, i just pick my opponents carefully )
STA-Spike is offline                         Send a private message to STA-Spike
Old 07-11-2005, 11:11 PM   #26

Quote:
A classical chess game needs no more then 2 colors (black and white) and even those aren’t really considered to be colors.
yes,there still are some idiots who believe that black is not a color.go figure,eh?

Old 07-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #27
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Black is the lack of reflection of any light wave from the color spectrum. Hence, it is the absence of color.

@Pigggy: I hope you're being sarcastic. If not, you should probably be told that Chessmaster has a huge list of choices for difficulty settings. On the lowest ones, it makes completely random moves.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 07-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I wasn't speaking of Chessmaster, I was speaking of chess games in general.

But Nikson, think of this.
If you combine certain colors, you can have black, especially paint, if you can solidify it into a shade or etc. it's a color.
And white is a color because it's the combination of all the primary colors.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #29
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Incorrect. "total" black or white cannot be found in paint, since you cannot have a mathematically, molecularly equal amount of all primary colors. You will have shades.

True black is the absorption of all light wave frequencies. And white is the reflection of all light wave frequencies.

I know it's all technical details, but in science (i.e: optics), black and white are not "colors".
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 08-11-2005, 05:14 AM   #30
Evad
Game freak

# 1750's Baron of Kempelen's TURK
# 1950 Alan Turing does LMG
# 1950 Claude Shannon paper design
# 1957 Herb Simon Predicts 10 Years
# 1968 David Levy bets nothing to beat him in 10 years
# 1978 Levy Wins bet
# 1982 Bell Lab's BELLE
# 1988 CMU Deep Thought

* Levy Loses

# 1997 IBM Deep blue defeats Kasparov

taken from http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~pollack/...es/games19.htm

Building a chess "machine" that can defeate a human has been attempted, as you can see, from as early as 1750. As mentioned before, there are fully customizable settings in most modern chess simulators, and the fact that the chessmaster is whooping your "behind" (as it is mine) should tell you not that it is too hard, but that you need more practice.
personally I like the thought that I have an opponent whenever I want , and no one ever has to know how much it kicks my "behind". This way I can get used to losing so I don't totally lose it when it happens in public :P
Another good thing about the chessmaster series is that they are fully supported online, and you can get ranked officially through it.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad