Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Probably has been a topic like this back in the day, but whatever it's going to happen again. Simple premise, who's your favourite lead singer, for whatever genre and why are they your favourite? Do they stand out, something unique about their singing.

Alright for me hands down Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is in my opinion one of the best metal singers past and present, honestly the man sings in a crazy operatic octive it's just maddness, 80's Dickinson was even more insane I heard some of his b-side tracks like Cross Eyed Marry and I've got the fire and was like how the hell can he sing that high? :blink: And his Maiden tracks like Flight of Icarus, Run to the Hills, Die with your boots on, classic sound and his solo work that he did when he left Maiden getting into now and just as amazing, songs like Tears of the Dragon, Road to Hell, Arc of Space, Chemical Wedding, Book of Thel, Trumpets of Jerusalem, masterful.

Second choice would be Geoff Tate from Queensryche, he can hit such high notes it's insanity, nice octive level he can range his voice, honestly in the 80's when he started out, he was incredible even better than Dickinson I would say. Sadly his voice has gone down hill in the 90's but to date it's getting better and still is very worthy.

Finally James Labrie from Dream Theater has a very awesome vocal range that varies, he sings mostly prog metal but on his solo album he did a bunch of power metal tracks that before I thought he could never do, but I was mistaken and finally Matt Barlow from Iced Earth, great voice, has got that hard metal power sound down, too bad he left Iced Earth in 2003.

Alright let's see some of your choices.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 18-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Scarface
Newbie.... Not!

My favorite has got to be Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Wow, what a voice, you could feel the energy. I'm sure many of you know his famous songs as "18 & life" or "I remember you," but if you don't, you should try some of the band's music (old stuff of course, because Sebastian isn't the lead singer anymore.)
Old 18-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Freddie Mercury R.I.P.

Ian Kilmister

Biff Malibu

Most others are expendable.
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 19-11-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
lethe
Game freak

Chris Cornell

Eddie Vedder

Forever Jim Morrison.
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 19-11-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Nov 18 2005, 08:17 PM
Freddie Mercury R.I.P.

Ian Kilmister

Biff Malibu

Most others are expendable.
While I agree (very much) that Freddy Mercury is one the greatest singers I've ever heard, I was surprised that anyone would mention Lemmy in this topic. Don't get me wrong, I love Motörhead, but Lemmy as one of the greatest lead singers out there? That's a bit farfetched, IMO.

Btw, DD, I'm beginning to think that you're just opening these topics to promote Bruce Dickinson.

Also, I'd like to hear peoples opinion of King Diamonds singing. I must say that I don't really like it too much myself, but I've heard many people claim that he's a great singer. Just thought I'd ask what you guys think.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 19-11-2005, 02:15 AM   #6
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Nov 19 2005, 03:37 AM
but Lemmy as one of the greatest lead singers out there?
No. As one of my FAVOURITE lead singers, as the topic-title suggests.

And you can't denie that he'd indeed be unexpendable...
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 19-11-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
Flop
Hero Gamer

Fair enough, I guess. And yeah, he's indeed the heart and soul of Motörhead. I doubt they'd be worth anything without him.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 26-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Thornwood
Forum hobbit

Yeah, both Bruce Dickinson and Freddie Mercury are awesome and can higher than I'm comfortable singing myself, and I'm a female soprano. I really love how Dickinson sings "and then down in falls comes the rain" in Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Of course, I'm always going to love Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, and even though she's no longer with the band she still rocks.

Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian. One of the few power metal vocalists who doesn't sound remotely girly on the high notes. Of course, I might be a little biased because Blind Guardian was the first metal band I got into.

Roy Khan from Kamelot. Simply amazing. Just listen to their stuff and you'll see what I mean. "Abandoned" and "Coldest Winter Night" really show off his voice well, IMO, so I recommend giving those a listen. In fact, I recommend giving all their stuff a listen.
Thornwood is offline                         Send a private message to Thornwood
Old 30-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
Dv0e

^ Yes, Roy Khan is a god on vocals. Other picks of mine would have to be:

1. Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
2. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
3. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
4. Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth)
5. Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
Dv0e is offline                         Send a private message to Dv0e
Old 30-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Freddie Mercury
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
Mike Matijevik (Steelheart)
Paul Stanley (Kiss)
Ron Taylor (Lillian axe)

And Jeff Scott Soto (to many bands to list, but mainly Malmsteem and Talisman) who rules them all ! :w00t:
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru