Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

These are some of my pictures from my Saatchi gallery and DeviantArt accounts - I'm in the middle of uploading a whole new lot of work, so I thought I'd put some of my older stuff up here for posterity

"Squidfizz"

"She's come undone"

"Journey"

Finally, "Message." I'm having some trouble colouring this one, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them -

I'm a big fan of using gloopy ink and other more traditional media as opposed to computer manipulation. However, I do use the computer for some colouring and "collage" type work (for want of a better word) If anyone has work of a similar vein I'd love to see it
Old 27-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #2
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

The squid reminds me of an episode of "The Outer Limits." They're all good, with a unique style I don't see very often.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 27-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't know what art is, but me knows what me likes, arr! :P LOL No wait, that sounded stupid, what I mean is that I'm no artist but I reckon you obviously are. I like hand-made art, I think it's great there are people doing digital art and being good at it but that shouldn't mean abandoning hand techniques. Actually I imagine they're the most proper for figurative art which is not uber-simple.

Actually I had already checked your DeviantArt account, great stuff. Just a thing, if you're going to flush those images there in order to have space in your account for new ones, the post above will get empty because it has the images referred to deviantart.com. If that's what you want I think you can host them here in Abandonia (I reckon each user has a limited capacity) and edit the post accordingly.

My favourite is, as it was when I saw it for the first time, "She's come undone". Am I wrong or is it about instrospection? Also "Journey" is good enough to enhace even the best fantasy book added as an illustration.
Old 27-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I don't normally put my stuff in front of people so obviously, but I'm going to move these guys into the scrapbook section of my Dev.art page to make way for some newer, and slightly different stuff. (By the way, thanks Japofran for the linking advice ) The new images have a more of a graphic-design type feel, because I've been wondering alot lately about where the line (if the actually is one) between design and art lies.

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran
Am I wrong or is it about instrospection?
You're not wrong at all. I believe that whatever you see when you view a picture is what the picture is about, because otherwise you wouldn't be using your eyes. However, I was thinking about something along those lines when I drew it

Also, The Fourth, I've never seen the Outer Limits, what is it?

(Incidentally, I'm no artist, I just like to get my hands stained.)
Old 27-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

The Outer Limits. They aired this here in Spain under the name Más allá del límite (Beyond the Limit)...

If DeviantArt will still host your images, only that in another direction that doesn't show in your main page, then you can continue referring them there so you don't duplicate hosting space and don't use your scant Abandonia one. If the images posted here disappear after you move them in DA to your scrapbook, just edit the posts and repeat what you did from DA, only from the specific page where they be showing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lulu_Jane @ Jan 27 2007, 08:12 AM) [snapback]276658[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[...] I've been wondering alot lately about where the line (if the actually is one) between design and art lies.[/b]
Well it can't be denied that ancient Greek amphorae were grahpic design. Artists were hired to make them more attractive for buyers, and expensive.

Quote:
However, I was thinking about something along those lines when I drew it [/b]
It's only that I noticed how her eye is looking back at her, and having her eye astray doesn't seem the reason why she's sad --being horrified would be more like it if it was the case... I guess I'm too logical for art. :P
Old 28-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
Tito
Alley Cat

Hey, I love the "Squidfizz" and also "Journey". You have a great imagination and a good technique to put it on display, and I admire that (as I have lots of problems putting my mental images into decent pictures).

Keep on posting, Me want more! :w00t:
Old 29-01-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jan 27 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]276670[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The Outer Limits.[/b]
She asked me!! ME!!! NOT YOU!!!

*ahem*

Yeah, it's a sci-fi show. The episode your squid reminds me of, an astronaut and his co-pilot go through a wormhole and crashland on an alien planet. Their ship sinks in an ocean and they swim for the safety of their liferaft which deployed when they crashed. He gets in, but before the co-pilot can be pulled to safety, she's eaten by a giant, luminescent squid-thing. It glowed sort of purplishly.
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 29-01-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thanks Tito There will be some more up when I re-load the stupid scanner software. Computer + Kitten-on-keyboard = lots of mucked up software.

Oooh, giant luminescent squids?! That's the stuff of nightmares The Fourth. I never really watch sci-fi things, although I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Battlestar Galactica, I just wish they'd hurry up and play series 3 over here.

Also, Japofran, I don't think that you're too logical for art - I think that it means that you get more out of an image than someone who just stares at it and thinks "pretty" or "not nice" but can't articulate why they have that reaction.
Old 29-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Wow...my favourite one is "Journey" for this strange technique...let me tell that you are a really good artist!
I'm not so expert but I really like your style, so I'll wait other artworks!
Old 29-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Awww shucks, thanks David86

But I don't think that I'd call myself an artist.