Old 27-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Himmler
Trollmaster General

you bet i will
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 28-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #12
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Himmler @ Jan 26 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]276526[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
q's is better but not good enough
wendy's is... no

or it could be a non-art competition and just fun. that would be votable
[/b]
That sounded kind of rude, Himmler. Comments are welcome - critical ones as well, but please make them constructive. If you didn't like a picture and want to say so, at least say what you didn't like about it. Why was this picture a 'no' for you. And why would you make it a non-art competition? I think both pictures at least fulfill the criteria of being art.

I've noticed that if these uploaded pictures don't fit the page when they've downloaded, they automatically are downsized which distorts the image, especially this one as it's composed of layers of fine lines. What resolution are you using to view the pictures? Perhaps you're viewing a distorted version. There is a way to stop pictures resizing, I think. Not sure what it is, though.

Can we keep comments reasonably thoughtful and polite please people or else no one will want to put their pictures up here.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 28-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #13
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wendymaree @ Jan 28 2007, 02:53 AM) [snapback]276795[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I've noticed that if these uploaded pictures don't fit the page when they've downloaded, they automatically are downsized which distorts the image, especially this one as it's composed of layers of fine lines.
[/b]
I put my images on Photbucket and even if they compress a bit them, you can see that there are not great distortions.

However if someone want to paarticipate, still has four days to submit a pic and then there will be the votation... be polite and constructive
Old 28-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
Himmler
Trollmaster General

art has rules too, principles. before i should prove why it is not art, you should prove me that in fact it is.

q's can be classified as a composition, but yours...
-too many focus-points(the eyes will spin around the picture, you have 6 in total)
-colors don't fit
-saturation
-colors don't cycle around the composition
-centered
-the frame is not good for the eye and the elements are beggining to be unnoticed
-blending not-so-good
-elements scattered as you want, not as you should.you have to keep in mind that a composition should be BALANCED.
there would be more to tell, but my english is limited.
there is a well defined line between kitsch-art and art.
i was and am polite. i'm trying to help as i can.

Quote:
I think both pictures at least fulfill the criteria of being art.[/b]
one is, prove the other

sorry, but i can't go like the others and say it's even good.it's good that it's childish though, but you can't say it's close to art.

as you see, i commented the work so i expect not to be dragged in a flame-war fot nothing.you can take into consideration what i've told you, or not... it's only up to you
Old 28-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Illustrations for children's books are also considered art...not just illustrations.

If these are the kind of comments you've made on other people's work, Himmler, I can understand why few people want to take part in this competition anymre. Remarks like these are kind of insensitive and mean-spirited and don't serve this competition and the people who participate or your image as a thoughtful, decent human being.

EDIT
Ok, you've since edited your reply and also added some reasons. Thank you. You seem quite knowledgable about art. Why don't you have a go yourself?
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 28-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Himmler
Trollmaster General

that meaning?

Quote:
Illustrations for children's books are also considered art...not just illustrations. [/b]
indeed, they are.but one must have some knowledge of what they should look like

http://www.visualart.ro/forum/showthread.p...ge=13&pp=15

Quote:
If these are the kind of comments you've made on other people's work, Himmler, I can understand why few people want to take part in this competition anymre[/b]
check the other competitions
Quote:

EDIT
Ok, you've since edited your reply and also added some reasons. Thank you. You seem quite knowledgable about art. Why don't you have a go yourself?[/b]
the only edit i did was adding the number of focus-points
Old 28-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

If we don't start flaming, this could be a good conversation about art!

To me, Himmler, you are too strict in your position about what art is (IMHO).
Look at this (Christo):

Thinking to the real building, and not the photo, many of the points you listed "fit" to that work, but it's still considered art...

And about theese (Isgrò and Griffa):

Old 28-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #18
Himmler
Trollmaster General

third, abstract art, there are other priciples , but just the same, if you look at it you'll see the elements well defined.

btw i did something to my photoshop..pressed something on the keyboard and went into expert mode or something

and this is what i wanna do for my final exam at school : woman hips
Old 28-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #19
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Just to add to the discussion, Himmler, if you always create according to other people's rules, then you'll make the same thing over and over again. I don't follow rules. Sometime it might work and sometimes it mightn't, but it makes life interesting. The rules are always being changed, anyway, especially by the ones who move the culture forward. I agree that Quin's work has more depth, though, and I like it because of that, but sometimes a picture can just tell a story.

Old 28-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Maybe I'm strange, but looking to the book, my eyes go looking to the greek words, and definitely not to the focus point you signed (and however he made many other pictures without the bees and just the censored book words).

Looking out of my window I see a building: the same lines you drawed... it should be art!! :bleh: (ok, i'm joking, but I said you don't have to consider the photo, but the real wrapped building itself: that's only a concept!)

The Griffa's one is again quite only a concept about the painting: it was a message to the painters of it's times (60-70) to start again painting from canvas and coluors (that's after Fontana's cuts and other things like that)

I know you said something right, but I hope you'll be able to be even less strict. And excuse me if sometimes I say some stupid things: you know, I'm an artist!

But wasn't the "guitar" your final exam work?