Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
jeremytheclimber

Default Trouble Unziping Files

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and forums but hope to be here often now that I found it. Thanks to all who've made it what it is!

I created a folder "Games" on my C drive and then create a folder within that for the specific game. I download the file into the folder then try to extract it but everyone I download gives me the same error upon trying to extract.

With WinZip I get "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive"

and with WinRAR I get "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

I assume I'm doing something incorrectly but am unsure what Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
jeremytheclimber is offline                         Send a private message to jeremytheclimber
Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Which ones have you tried? Can you upload the archives to a file hosting service (such as Mediafire) so that we may cross-compare them with what they're supposed to contain?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
machpants

I have the same problems with the gamebook files. I tried "the way of the tiger" and the "bloodsword" ones. I tried windows unzip and 7zip

Edit; if you extract with 7zip it extracts a file without a pdf extension (just says filetype=file) whether you manually add the pdf extension or not the reader cannot open it

downloaded from: http://files.abandonia.com/extras/Ga...Blood%20Sword/
zip received: http://www.mediafire.com/?dvb2fnl5vx4j83b
extracted 'file' using 7zip http://www.mediafire.com/?u1a6kxrxos9480z

Last edited by machpants; 01-01-2011 at 11:40 PM.
machpants is offline                         Send a private message to machpants
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
machpants

WEIRD! Those errors are using IE9 BETA. I tried Chrome and it works fine
machpants is offline                         Send a private message to machpants
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
jeremytheclimber

The 2 games I've tried so far are Ultima V and Arkanoid. I uploaded files to mediafire as requested Horseman.

Links are:
Arkanoid is at http://www.mediafire.com/?u11nj13wo9ub034
Ultima V is at http://www.mediafire.com/?h8suz77kppmmoj4 (Ultima V)

I'm going to try a few others today and see what I get. Hopefully its something I'm doing that's easy to fix, I'm super psyched to find the Ultimas again!

Thanks for the help!
jeremytheclimber is offline                         Send a private message to jeremytheclimber
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpants View Post
I have the same problems with the gamebook files. I tried "the way of the tiger" and the "bloodsword" ones. I tried windows unzip and 7zip

Edit; if you extract with 7zip it extracts a file without a pdf extension (just says filetype=file) whether you manually add the pdf extension or not the reader cannot open it
It's a GZIP compressed archive containing the archive you were supposed to receive. I'm guessing your browser requested the data in GZIP-compressed form but didn't decompress them upon reception.
The file you extracted from it is the original archive. Change the extension to ZIP and unpack it to get yourself a working PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremytheclimber View Post
The 2 games I've tried so far are Ultima V and Arkanoid. I uploaded files to mediafire as requested Horseman.
I'm going to try a few others today and see what I get. Hopefully its something I'm doing that's easy to fix, I'm super psyched to find the Ultimas again!
The files aren't corrupted as much as cut off. Probably a connection error interrupted the download - it happens (modem? wireless? busy network? lots of network traffic between your PC and the rest of the network?). Redownload the games. The problem shouldn't repeat - if it does, report it here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
jeremytheclimber

Makes sense. I'll give them another try and let you know either way. Thanks again for taking the time to help!