Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
bobson
Game is over

Default Mechwarrior 2 - Mercenaries

Mechwarior 2 - Mercenaries

Info: MobyGames

Download(s):Submitted by: Artifice, Uploaded by: bob-satan

Last edited by Professor Oak; 12-10-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added alternative link
bobson is offline                         Send a private message to bobson
Old 20-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

Default How do I use this image file?

I don't mean to sound rude or critical, and I hope I don't, but I'm not sure if this is a correct image file. I downloaded the file and when I opened the archive, all i found was the .img file. I've used Daemon Tools a lot, but when I tried to mount this image in Daemon Tools, it didn't recognize the file. I'm thinking that there should be another file with this image file such as a .ccd file. Please correct me if I am wrong and tell me how to use this image file. Thanks
B-Wolf is offline                         Send a private message to B-Wolf
Old 20-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

There are no other files with IMG images. Try to IMGMOUNT it with DOSBox (if it's the DOS version). Or rename it to an ISO.
Old 21-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

Thanks for the information. I will give these suggestions a try. One concern I have though, is that when I play the game, there will be no in game music. I have read that this particular game has sub channel music, and I am wondering if just a plan .img file will preserve the audio tracks. Thanks again for the information before though.
Old 21-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
bobson
Game is over

Have You tried to "show all files" in a window where You choose the file to mount in Daemon-Tools? I did it that and the IMG just a few seconds later autostarted.
Old 21-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

No, I actually didn’t try that. I did however, change the extension for the image file to .iso and it mounted just fine in Daemon Tools. I also installed the game in Dosbox using the Imgmount command, and everything worked fine until I started an instant action mission. When I start a instant action mission, and error message flashes on the screen for a brief second and then returns me to the instant action menu. If anyone can shed some light on the issue, it would be much appreciate. If it helps any, I am using Dosbox 0.73 on a Windows XP SP2 system.

I managed to solve to problem of the game crashing out on instant action missions. What I did was burn the .img file to a disc using Imgburn. Next, I created an .iso file of the disc with Alcohol 52% and mounted it in dosbox with the imgmount command. Unfortunatly, I was unable to get any background music in the game.

Last edited by B-Wolf; 03-11-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Solved Problem
Old 18-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Artifice

The awesome thing about this Dos version is that you don't actually need Dos-Box to run it. The old windows version doesn't run on XP or dosbox - Ensure that you do not install the Windows version!

Burn the .img to a disk - as an image

Run the installation from the DOS directory (you WILL need dosbox for this step, see that readme for mounting)

Run MERCS.EXE in compatability for win 95 straight out of XP. You will need the cd in the drive to play. You may have to fiddle with the sound settings for the game, but it works fine. The soundtrack runs off the CD even on the largest installation. The music is actually straight cd audio (you can put the game cd in your stereo - track 2 onwards) so it's not going to work when mounted.
Artifice is offline                         Send a private message to Artifice
Old 18-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Wolf View Post
I managed to solve to problem of the game crashing out on instant action missions. What I did was burn the .img file to a disc using Imgburn. Next, I created an .iso file of the disc with Alcohol 52% and mounted it in dosbox with the imgmount command. Unfortunatly, I was unable to get any background music in the game.
You can not use the ISO format when a CD has music tracks.
As you have imgburn create a BIN/CUE image from your burned CD in stead and mount that with imgmount in dosbox, point to the CUE file when mounting.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
B-Wolf
Forum hobbit

Thanks for the information. I’ll definitely give these suggestions a try. I’ll Let you now how it works out.

I gave your suggestion a try, and found that the game works great under Windows XP. This game has some real nice graphics also (didn’t know that until I turned up the settings in the options menu). Still can’t get the background music though. I checked out the disc I made with the .img file, and there only appears to be one track. Also I tried ripping the disk as a cue/bin file and mounting it in Dosbox, that didn’t produce and background music ether. Not a total loss though, I enjoy playing the game with or without music in the background and I thank the people on this forum who tried to help me.

By the way, I found that the best way to currently run this game is though VDM Sound. If you turn all the graphics up in the game, the game will run too slow in Dosbox. Also, if the game is played in Windows XP, the sound effects tend to be very clicky. I hope this Info helps anyone trying to run this game.

Last edited by B-Wolf; 07-01-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Tips for running the game.
Old 24-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
sylandro

How do you unpack the file? I downloaded files 001 through 007, but when I open it with WinRAR I get an unexpected end of file error. Have I downloaded a corrupt part or is there a missing file (i.e .rar)?
sylandro is offline                         Send a private message to sylandro