Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Luke

Hi to all again gamers!

I run the flight simulator Aces of the Pacific with the help of the Abandonia boot disk (thanks for it k: ) cause from Win98 its impossible. The sound exits by the internal speaker and if I try to change this i obtain:
Your system does not appear to support this choice: Soundblaster/Adlib card (or compatibles)
How can I configure my Soundblaster PCI 128 to work? In Tie Fighter I can configure manually the ports and the DMA etc and I get sound but no music. Why happens this and what you recommend me to do?
Luke is offline                         Send a private message to Luke
Old 31-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Sith-Avenger

QUOTE(Luke @ Jul 31 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]246160[/snapback]
Quote:
Hi to all again gamers!

I run the flight simulator Aces of the Pacific with the help of the Abandonia boot disk (thanks for it k: ) cause from Win98 its impossible. The sound exits by the internal speaker and if I try to change this i obtain:
Your system does not appear to support this choice: Soundblaster/Adlib card (or compatibles)
How can I configure my Soundblaster PCI 128 to work? In Tie Fighter I can configure manually the ports and the DMA etc and I get sound but no music. Why happens this and what you recommend me to do?
[/b]
Hi Luke,
Have you tried running the game using VDMsound instead of DOSbox?

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to Your signature to help him on his way to world domination.</div>
Sith-Avenger is offline                         Send a private message to Sith-Avenger
Old 01-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sith-Avenger, Luke isn't using DosBox or VDMSound. He's got a W98-based machine and is using the Abandonia's bootdisk.

Luke, tried W98's "reboot into DOS" option? I remember we had some discussion on the subject a year or two back, though can't find it right now.

Also, I remember there was some sort of sound hardware emulation program on the bootdisk... run DIR /P to see the list of files. Particularly:
DIR *.COM /P
DIR *.EXE /P

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Luke

If I reboot in "dos mode" the system disk don't loads. There isn't any way to configure my Soundblaster?
What about the Dos SB emulation driver? I think it's the only way...
Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You could read this quoted guide for reference.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #6
Luke

Thanks for the link k:
Look at this:
Quote:
2.3 AN EXAMPLE
This is an example for a Config.sys without much finess. PLEASE DO NOT COPY.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
LASTDRIVE=E
FILES=80
BUFFERS=10
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB64\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /WIN95 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5 (my soundcard)
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB64\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS (sound again)
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 (CD-ROM)

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1) (graphics)
COUNTRY=049,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS (country)[/b]
Can I write lines like these in the config file of the abandonia boot disk in order to be able to load my sound and CD-ROM drivers? Or this can only be done by the config.sys? If it is can I copy these lines of my config.sys to the config file of the boot disk?:blink:
Old 03-08-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

How DOS works is that the machine will first look for the autoexec.bat, then execute config.sys. Or maybe it's the other way around I forget... The important part is that both files are executed at the startup, and you absolutly need them both. Autoexec.bat is a simple file on which you add simple commands, just like if you were typing in the command prompt while the config.sys file is the file which usually hold the more complex commands.

The best way to make a floppy is to (assuming you have a real DOS machine, not a stupid Windows DOS version)
Quote:
6.1 BOOTDISK
If you often need different configurations, there is of course the possibility of a bootdisk. You have to set the booting order in BIOS to A,C. Then you format a disk by
format a: /s
The necessary files will be transfered automatically. Then modify Config.sys and Autoexec.bat on the disk and reboot your computer from it.[/b]
Then add whatever is missing in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files. This really depend of your own system. You might need to add, for example, a line for your soundblaster and a line to load your mouse driver. If you need advanced memory usage, type mem.exe in the command prompt and play a little with the /? flag to know more. I reckon there is several examples in the file.

Another important point is not to take the guide, extract only one point and ignore the rest. The guide should be considered as a whole, not as parts.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Luke

I have a Windows 98 SE DOS version...
I type c:\format a: /s and this command copy that files into the floppy disk:
command.com
drvspace ?
io ?
msdos ?
I don't know what means the last 3 files but no trace of the config.sys or the autoexec.bat.
Why happens this? Should I copy them from c:\ ?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Copying those two files from c:\ might just work. Try it.

Those other files are necessary. Don't delete them on the floppy. They will be required and loaded in memory at the startup.

To startup with the bootdisk, insert the floppy and reboot. Your computer should read your floppy first then the floppy will override the normal Windows boot sequence.