Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forum Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2005, 10:20 PM   #41
a1s
Hero Gamer

do you guys also use highest difficulty seting (super-human or whatever) with this chalenge?

P.S. this must be the 100th time I download that game, it's just too fun to live without
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 27-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #42
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hmm is XCom Util allowed? If so, then I'm taking a LOT of HE packs.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 09-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #43
Microprose Veteran
Abandonia nerd

I've done this but I don't know if I finished the game.

The thing is, with all Alien technology and powersuits etc, Cydonia is no challenge at all! First time I completed the game with all technology I simply used one Ethereal that I had taken over to shoot others and finally the big brain.

Using only basic armor is fun because you'll need to medevac your crewmembers, get them to a medikit soon enough, etc.

My weapon of choice is the rocket launcher tank. Just make sure you always have one or two of these and blast away at the Ufo-site. It's hard to take prisoners this way (heheheh) and advancing your soldiers is also hard because most kills will be done by your tanks. It's industrial warfare! :Titan:
Microprose Veteran is offline                         Send a private message to Microprose Veteran
Old 31-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #44
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

To win with this you need pure luck. Mutons are OK if you have VERY highly trained people, as they hit their head more often, the only way with human weapons to kill one.

HE packs are fine, especially since you don't WANT alien stuff. Just prepare to lose, really.

Heavy Cannons and HE works well though.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 31-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #45
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Ahh, this challenge is still so dam hard, im not reloading or anything so no cheating, and im doing it on medium i.e laser allowed, it is too hard without lasers, (sectapods especially).

Also I'd consider saving a game right at the start of a battle i.e. first round while in skyranger is cheating, because when you reload the mission (if you reload it that is) then you know where most of the aliens are.

Im managing to get ok on this, managed to beat sectoid abductors by when one guy gets panicked I just drop all his guns, for some reason the sectiod leader will only target the one person who he panicked first, or unless the dude he MC'ed died/stunned.

Ive been able to beat floaters, by somehow not having to battle any, ive only had about 3 floaters, so either im missing a lot (not that much according to graphs and Hyperwave) or im sorta lucky. (Although i think sectiods and cyberdiscs are much harder then floaters and reapers).

But I too am having troubles with mutons, though I have found out that they are slightly suceptible to HE Packs and Large Rockets which is good.

But im having troubles with Etherials, theyve managed to kill of all my "elite" troops (erm 3 captains and 5 sgts) and there freakin unstopable, ive finally come to practically running away when I see them let alone waiting for my troops to panic, although suicide bombers seem to work well, until they get MC'ed/ paniked and start running the wrong way/dropping primed explosives.

I can even deal with sectapods easier then etherials, I just seem to have a load of Psi-wimps as my crack troops. So if anyone has a good way of actually killing etherials, help would be appreciated, also as the alien bases I have are Mutons (yay), and Etherials (double yay!!!) hard to get a base commander, as well as hard to get through the base.

I dont really use autocannons that much, just rockets and laser rifles. Ooh and ive found that tanks are just not worth it anymore, much cheaper to buy 4 rookies wielding rocket launchers and somehow more effective.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #46
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

I tell you now, Heavy Lasers blow the crap out of Etherials. That's the only way I've discovered that's reliable enough.

You'd best not give the Heavy Lasers to the Psi-wimps though. That could get extremely messy, especially since no X-Com armour is strong enough to stop it and nobody has enough health to survive it.

On the other hand, Sectopods get absolutely hammered by Heavy Lasers.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #47
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

If your talking about Heavy Lasers from the original UFO: Enemy Unknown then id be inclined to agree with you, however the Heavy Laser from Abandonia sucks badly, it does less damage then the heavy plasma, is less accurate, doesnt have auto-fire (ok never had auto-fire in original but the laser rifle it even better then the heavy laser), also it weighs a ton, I dont think you need alien alloys to make it though, im sure you had to use alien alloys in Enemy Unknown V.1.0.

I find its better only having two heavy laser troops, rest of em with laser rifles, especially as most of my troops are fodder so I cant train them well enough to use a heavy laser well.

Also the main problem is not the shooting at etherials, its when they shoot back, they manage to pretty much kill my troops in one shot (darn no armour rule), pretty accurately, and then they mind control the other ones to kill the rest of em

Now im just resorting to bringing loads of prox grenades. Also when my base is being assaulted i just hide all my troops in the rooms after they make prox minefields, then i just leave one tank to rove around (until it dies) then the rookies peek out , just chucking loads of prox nades everywhere seems to do the trick. Of course when im defending my base in this challenge I resort to cheating by saving in battlescape every so often. Its just to flippin hard to win without your cannon fodder and all your equipment, and your mode of transport. Now if there was someway to transfer troops and a skyranger to another base during the battle that would be better for me.

Ive only managed to abandon a base once by managing to spot the incoming alien battleship just before it attacked, and then transferring everything to my other bases, didnt even leave a tank behind, just packed up and moved on.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp