Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #351
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Dungeon Keeper

But with a grain of salt. Because it is one of those games all promise, low deliver.

It has similar awesome worldmap to the original Warcraft 1, and is a pretty good time-waster on this side, before it'd turn into a non-game.
Its main attraction is all the easter-eggs, half of which you should just read about, like the printer-messages. I mean who has a printer nowdays, and why'd you play the game the printer turned on anyway??
The game also suffers in the gameplay: Keeper is NOT the bes/strongest unit to have,and darn annoying to maintain. Grab a vampire instead. Also, if you completly wall-in, the enemy simply can't break in ever, what is ridiculous. They are few anyway. Lastly, most of the end-levels are about possessing one creature (a vampire), and massacring all the enemy in FPS-mode, completly destroying the RTS-aspect.

But still entertaining enough if you have the nerve, or new to computer games. At least for a onetime playthrough.
Old 23-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #352
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Earthsiege 2

It is a mecha-simulator, combat-FPS, whatever you want.

You build new mechas, repair existing ones, have a crew up to 3, you only control 1, the others controled by AI, but you can give pretty ok directions what they should do.
The terrains are pretty ok, and the mission-variety is funky: you have destroy mercs, destroy base, recon missions, defend base, capture building and so on, like piloting an aircraft.

The combat can be a bit monotous though.
The most obvious problem is, you yourself have barely any chance shotting down air units. So I advise bring crew whenever possible, and gives them some weak machinegun (those have ammo and range) to deal with them.
The next problem is, the AI isn't very clever, mostly just run towards you, and that's it. The level-design compensates for some of this issue, but could use some improvement. My main tactic is usualy put on 2+ heavy energy weapon (very short range), focus the shield forward, and rush to the enemy. Try to hit the legs, that disables the mechas while preserving raw material. When you run through the enemy, reset the shields 50-50%and turn around, wreacking havok.
Fun little casual game if you ask me, which doesn't realy need more graphics, and the voise-acting is cheesey-inspiring for the mission-birefings.

Ineterstingly the game allows you to fail missions - but I prefer reloads those times.
Old 23-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #353
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Enduro Racer

What you see on the video is NOT the version I had. I never before looked this title up since the internet, because I had no reason to.
Because my version never ended. It was entirely infinite. No scores counted. The enemies were infinite, and who gave a shit,they were pathetic.
Why I mention it? Because the totaly empty "playtime",if we cancall it that. You could not die, you could not even fall, you justwent, and heared the monotonous white noise of the engine. It was relaxing for me somehow.
Old 25-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #354
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Epic Battle Fantasy 4

The previous and léater installments are basicaly crap. But this is a nice jrpg.

Very good music, good graphic, the usual turn-based pokemon/finaly fantasy-system, tons of reasonable loot.
There are only 2 flaws: one: making a solid party. That probably will involve some respec (because inexperience with the game), what can seriously drain your gold resource, second: on the highest difficult the enemies gain cheap instant kill attacks, what is just annoying.
It has some optional bosses and badges though, so it's absolutely fine.
Old 25-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #355
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - The Great Giana Sisters

Tired from Super Mario? Guhrl Powah fan? Time to try The Great Giana Sisters!
The franchise is even living today, and their games are not bad at all!

I bet it is about the hair.
Btw, I ran past the final boss, never killed it, thought that's not possible.
Old 26-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #356
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Hostages

This game has multiply stages.

The goel is to dispose terrorist invading an embassy. And save the hostages if you can. I think you only got game over if you lostyour team, the time ran out, or ALL the hostages died (by your hand).

First you picked each member, and tried to reach the marked hiding spots, while avoiding the reflectors of terrorist snipers. This part is very very cool, you realy could do stunts with the limited resources.
Second you could adjust the starting position of your team on an upside-downminimap. This marked where your snipers start.
Thenyou used your snipers to pick down terrorists through the windows of the three sides of the embassy.
Then you lowered one of your strike team to infiltrate the building. If you entered a room with an evil person, you died. If you lost all three soldier, you lost.
Then came the indoor clearing of rooms,which was a bit clunky, and dangerous, so you better picked as many from outsiude by the snipers as you could.

And that's it.
Old 27-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #357
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Jagged Alliance 2

For this the engine got perfected.

It still had some unfortunate flaws, like some hirelings regularly forgot the action you signed them for, literaly saying "I forgot. I forgot again.", most probably encountering this at the beginning, whereyoudon't have the money for the crew youwant, so you work with everybody. The militia-guy who throws knives is effected. This leads to that you barely if ever use knives, because most units specialize in guns, or training militia to defend sectors of towns.

I say switch on the sci-fi elements (alien bugs come at a point, which provide a gloo to advance your armor beyond maximum), and the "many many guns" option is fun too.

But man, this game takes FOREVER to finish.

There was an "expansion" (Unfinished Business), which more was a sequel, which threw out most of the gameplay elements, and its start was hardcore hard (on normal setting!) even if you brought in your old crew. Imagine your chances with a fresh one.
Old 29-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #358
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Loom

An experimental Lucastarts game. Perfectly fine to a point, as your options are limited, and although a lot of times you need Fairy Tale Logic, the puzzles are all solvable.
What kills the game is the ending, where you face a limited try, limited time series of events, where the save&load system's problems become very very obvious. This still isn't much of a problem, as it is a Simon Says game, but on the highest difficulty you get no visual clues, so that's game over for anyone not being able to properly play a real instument (and no, not drum, dummy).
Old 30-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #359
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still - Lost Vikings 2

It is an action-puzzle solving game. Some controls are clunky, and probably they made similar fresher games, but I don't know those.
the characters are recognisable, though the story pretty much equals with a facebook-game.
Unfortunately my copy halfway missed an item, and I thought just i'm missing something, so never finished it. Still fond of the memories.
I was not impressed with the 1st installment though, because how it differs from this. That doesn't mean it'd be bad for you too.
The worst part the developers never had The Vision, so it never grew to a franchise.
Old 31-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #360
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Default Games I would recommend still -Motherload

You get a drill, a minor backstory and at times new story-elements, but otherwise you dig to reach deeper, to the core of the planet.
And it is fun!

NOTE: it IS possible to beat the final possible level. The possible nuber of items on you is actualy infinite, you cankeep score on 'em manualy. If you mine enough, and buy enough amount of stuff, the fact that the later levels exponentialy rise the prices thus by time makes you unable to buy more items can be circumnavigated.
This is a challenge!