Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
G Mann

Right, I've downloaded all 20 files listed here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/10102451/...e/DWORLD2.html

I've unzipped dw2ptch3. But when I click on DW2WIN (Windows 95 installer) it says "The program can't start because cw3220.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix this program." So I guess it wants me to install cw3220.DLL Now, am I playing with fire here? Are dll files important? I don't want to mess my computer up. I'm on Windows 7 by the way.

For using the DOS version, the Readme file says

The DOS version only requires the replacement of the main program
file DWB.EXE. Simply copy DWB.EXE from this patch into the directory
in which you installed Discworld II.

e.g. if the Discworld II MSDOS installation was installed to c:\dw2, use
the following command:

>copy dwb.exe c:\dw2

This will ensure your DOS version of Discworld II is up-to-date.

But when I go DOSbox, after I mount the right directory, it says "file dwb.exe not found"

Last edited by G Mann; 01-09-2011 at 07:19 PM.
G Mann is offline                         Send a private message to G Mann
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I've unzipped dw2ptch3. But when I click on DW2WIN (Windows 95 installer) it says "The program can't start because cw3220.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling to fix this program." So I guess it wants me to install cw3220.DLL Now, am I playing with fire here? Are dll files important? I don't want to mess my computer up. I'm on Windows 7 by the way.
Depending on the file in question, DLL files can be very important, yes.
Adding it to your system is unlikely to fix the problem. The DLL in question dates back to Windows 95, so there's no guarantee it would work - and even if it did, there will likely be others that are either missing or no longer compatible with it. The DOS version is a more reliable choice here.

Quote:
But when I go DOSbox, after I mount the right directory, it says "file dwb.exe not found"
Probably the file is not in the directory you're currently in (which, unless you switched to another drive, is the emulated drive Z).
You can copy the file using Windows - it's easier that way, and the only important part is that the patched dwb.exe replaces the original one - not in what environment that was done.

If you're getting any further "file not found" messages, please post either the text of the commands you're entering and the response you're getting from DOSBox or a screenshot showing that information.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 01-09-2011 at 09:52 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

TL;DR. But if you run a DOS version you will have no problems with DLLs, as there's no such thing in DOS. If you're lacking one in Windows (whatever version), probably the best option is to place that DLL in the same folder where the game program file is in:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...86(VS.85).aspx
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
G Mann

Right. I put all the files in the same directory, opened up DOSbox, did the copy dwb.exe thing which worked, entered "dwb.exe" and it said "Discworld cannot locate the Discworld CD"
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Japo
Autonomous human

You need to mount the CD to make it available in DOSBox. Use the imgmount command to mount a CD image file, refer to the DOSBox manual (accessible through the Windows start menu) to learn how to use it.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I recall Discworld II is a two-disc game. You'll have to do it more or less like this:

IMGMOUNT D "C:/path/to/the/disc/images/CD1.iso" "C:/path/to/the/disc/images/CD2.iso" -t iso

Where C:/path/to/the/disc/images/ is replaced by the path you have the disc images located at and CD1.iso and CD2.iso are replaced with the names and exptensions of the actual images.
When DOSBox is running, you can now change between the two mounted disc images by pressing CTRL+F4.
This is best entered into your DOSBox configuration file's autoexec section so that the images are mounted automatically when the emulator starts.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just so you know, G man, it's a great game and it will be worth it once you get it working - and you will get it working
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
G Mann

Look, I need a bit more help than this. I need a step by step guide. There are no files called CD1 or CD2, it's all split into about 20 files saying DW21.r01 and so on. Here are all the files I downloaded http://www.4shared.com/dir/10102451/...e/DWORLD2.html

I tried messaging Ermuli (who provided the files) but he hasn't replied yet.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.

All files must be in the same (eventually temp) folder.
Double click on DW21.RAR and DW22.RAR to unarchive the 2 CD images.

If needed:
http://www.7-zip.org/ will do the job for you.

If you would read the help topics
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=20834
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=90
You would probably already be playing the game, mayhaps. (Or not)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Dosraider: It's easy to forget that some knowledge we consider basic and take for granted isn't either of those for the average PC user - and at some point wasn't such for us either.

G Mann: Sorry, I assumed you were familiar with multi-part RARs. My fault.

Okay, those *.rxx files you have are segments of a multi-part RAR archive. You need a dearchiver such as 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) to unpack them (there are others, but 7Zip is completely free). The .rar file is the "main" file for the multi-part archive (DW21.rar and DW22.rar), and that's the one you'll open with 7-Zip and unpack the contents; the program will automatically unpack the contents of the remaining segments of the multi-part archive.

Ermuli has used ECM on the discs - it's another form of compression used to reduce the size of the image before it's compressed further with RAR. You need to unpack one of the discs at a time, then run the UNECM.BAT file that comes with the other archive contents and wait until it finishes uncompressing the image. This will give you a CloneCD image of the respective disc.
Do that for both DW21.rar and DW22.rar (not neccesarily in that order, but unpack and UNECM whichever image you start with before following with the other).

Now you have the CloneCD images of both discs. They're comprised of several files, but we're interested in the ones with IMG extension. Those are the files we'll use in IMGMOUNT (replace the paths and filenames in the command given in my previous post with the locations and names of those two files, it's a good idea to put the location and name of the first disc earlier than that of the second - just for convenience).

As explained in the tutorials, you'll also need to have a C mount in DOSBox. Check DOSRaider's guide if you haven't gotten to that part yet. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22241

Now, you should have DOSBox running with a directory on your HDD mounted as its' C drive and the images of both Discworld 2 CD's mounted as your D drive.

I don't have a copy of the discs on my HDD right now, so for the moment I can only give you general advice on what to do next (getting a copy as I speak).
Switch to the DOSBox D drive by typing:
d:
Next, the game files have to be installed to the virtual C drive. There will be an executable on the disc named setup or install so try entering each of those as a command. If the installer doesn't start after that, you'll need to enter the following:
dir *.exe
dir *.com
dir *.bat

To get a list of all executable files in the CD root and try running them.

When the installer runs, it will most likely query you where to install the game - should be defaulting to C:\DW2 , if not then that's what you want to set it to.
If you are asked for any of the following, here are the correct values:
Sound Card or anything to do with audio / music etc:
* Pick the last Sound Blaster version on the list (16 is best, then Pro 2 or "Pro (new version)", then Pro, then 2, then "plain" Sound Blaster)
IRQ (Interrupt): 7
DMA: 1
Address: 220

After the installation completes, you need to replace the dwb.exe with the patched version. To do that (in Windows), open the directory you've set as DOSBox' default C drive, open the DW2 subdirectory and unpack the patched dwb.exe there. You will be asked if you want to overwrite the original file - confirm. At this point, the game is ready to start in DOSBox.

To run the game in DOSBox, you need to get to the C drive if you're not already there ( type c: ), then to the DW2 directory if not already there ( cd c:\DW2 ) then run the game by either dw2 or dwb .

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 02-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.