Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #81
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf@Feb 27 2006, 08:59 AM
It's NECESSARY that you win, cause you have to fly to often that it'll kill your bank account...
No, it isn't, actually. I eventually managed to finish the game without winning the lottery, but I had to use a walkthrough for it, because the puzzles in Zak McKracken are such a bloody pain. This was clearly my least favourite LucasArts game, closely followed by Maniac Mansion and - dare I say it? - Loom.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 27-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #82
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles
his was clearly my least favourite LucasArts game, closely followed by Maniac Mansion and - dare I say it? - Loom.
:blink: What?!
I don't think the puzzles are too heavy...
Too bad you didn't like 'em. I remember the good times with those three adventures!
Just because of the puzzles...?
Old 27-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #83
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific there, perhaps.
What I disliked about Zak McKracken is that it's completely and utterly illogical. You basically have to combine items at random. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer puzzles which take a while to figure out, but which nevertheless make sense.
Maniac Mansion I didn't really like because it's also largely trial and error: if you walk into the kitchen at the wrong point in time you'll be thrown into the cell. It happened to me over and over again, and I found it extremely annoying. And the puzzles are just as illogical as in Zak McKracken.
Loom I just found a little disappointing. It had a great concept, very nice graphics for the time and all that, but that couldn't really conceal the fact that there was very little to do. You were always forced to do everything in sequence and play along with the story: get from A to B, learn a new note, cast a new spell, get from B to C. I prefer adventure games that allow you a little more freedom as to what you want to do and when you want to do it. In Loom, everything is crucial to the story, so there's always only one way of solving a problem, and problems always have to be solved in the right order. I just don't like being led so much.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 27-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #84
Icewolf
Il Lupone

I see now!
Do you mean puzzles like (in ZMK) having to use the duct tape with the fish bowl?
Hmm...
Well ZMK gives you some different possibilities for some puzzles though.
You can KILL the squirrel or give him your peanuts.
You can wake the bus driver by playing kazoo or knocking his door.

I understand that it can't give you as much as the new adventures do but in former days it rocked, I think.

BTW in MM you only get thrown in the cell when you enter the kitchen the first time or if you're in it and Weird Ed gets his cheese. k:
Old 27-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #85
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But he's ALWAYS in there, getting his bloody cheese!

(Anyway, I think I'm going off-topic. Sorry.)
Old 18-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #86
Maxi

maybe i'm stupid but how do i switch do the bird? i use the blue crystal on it, zak faints and then i can do NOTHING? i have no idea what to do (and checked some walkthroughs). what am i doing wrong?

Old 18-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #87
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Did you already learn how to use the crystal (in Katmandu from the Guru)?

If you did and you use it on the bird - when Zak faints you should already have the control of the bird. Zak will be lying there and the bird will be above him, but you can not FLY TO instead of WALK TO.
If this doesn't happen there must be something wrong with the game (or you haven't been to the Guru yet).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 19-04-2006, 04:39 AM   #88
Maxi

well it's seems i missed that... and my funds are insufficient to get there. i was in katmandu to get the flagpole but the guru said nothing to me... it seems i gotta start again, don't i?

Old 19-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #89
Icewolf
Il Lupone

To re-raise your funds you can play lotto.

First you have fill out the application you get in the phone company and put it in your mailbox. Later on you have the KING fan club card.
Then you fly over the bermuda triangle and get beamed up by the aliens. You stay in their spaceship and show them that fan club card. On the right hand in the ship is a lotto prediction machine....
Old 19-04-2006, 09:14 AM   #90
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

@MAXI:
As Icewolf pointed out you could try and win the lottery...

To get the Lotto numbers you need to go to Miami - and then head for Bermuda (don't jump of the plane) and you'll get kidnaped by aliens. Stand close to the door (so you won't be teleported down with the pilot).
Now if you're a fan of the King (if you sent the letter to be a part of the fan club) or if you have the guitar (bought at thestore) you can show that to the King and you'll off the hook. Otherwise look at the Lot-o-matic (to the far right) and get the lottery numbers.
They'll brainwash you, but you'll get to San Francisco again and you'll be able to buy the Lotto ticket and win (in some time).
The stuff you loose when they brainwash you can be taken back in two ways:
1) Buy a hat and the nose mask (at the pawn shop). Put them on and go to the phone company. You'll be able to go to the back room, where they keep all the stuff in the closet.
2) You can go back to your room, lift the rug corner and use the wire cutters on the floor. Then use the rope on the floor (tie it to the door) and climb down. Get the stuff out of the closet and climb back. Be quick about it, so they don't catch you.

If you ran out of money, you can always switch to Annie and have her buy you the ticket (until you get the money from the lottery). You'll have to buy her tickets afterwards.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos