Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: which of these moder authors fo you think will become mandotory reading at a school level in 2050
phillip k dick 2 8.33%
douglas adams 2 8.33%
terry pratchett 4 16.67%
william gibson 1 4.17%
jr tolkien 9 37.50%
lol - jk rowling 1 4.17%
robert rankin 0 0%
frank herbert 1 4.17%
clive barker 0 0%
steven king 1 4.17%
hunter s thompson 1 4.17%
other - please specify 1 4.17%
i hate books. you all smell. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

But you're just contradicting yourself.

There can not be anything wrong with the world, if they will be teaching Rowling in 50 years. She's a very popular writer and as you said yourself - it's the masses that determine literature.

This is exactly the phenomenon I'm against. I also love Huxley and Wells (and they aren't alone in this category - BTW Huxley and Adams are obligatory literature for sociology in most universities) and I'd love to see people like Dick get more recognition, but they are put in the background by people like Rowling. At least Tolkien has a good excuse. He was preparing Silmarillion (he never published it, because he never felt the work was finished) in which he wanted to give his creationist theory to the world.
Eru - the only one (also known as the Iluvatar) created everything and called upon devine creatures to sing with him, but when Klekor was breaking of from the harmony a battle was going on. The melody was the history of the world, but the song ended at some point and from that point on the desteny isn't writen. That point is the begning of the age of men - so our desteny isn't prewriten - we need to create our own desteny, but can be proud of the lthings our race has done (mostly helped more noble races to defet the evil).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 24-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #22
omg
Games Master

no i belive the popular litriture will win over the good.
just im not happy about it.
not a contridiction as such, i stand by my theory, its just that i dont actually like it.
edit: just enjoying the conversation/debate
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 24-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #23
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

No problem, but I guess we actually feel the same way about the subject after all.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 24-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #24
Danny252
I have a custom title!

what should be mandantory is good punctuation and spelling. and names. its JRR Tolkien... for gods sake..
Plus you cannot make anyone read certain books. Thats like saying 'You must sleep within 3 atoms of the left edge of the bed on Tuesdays'
plus I've heard of 3 of those authors. Wheres the decent ones, like Dale Brown?
Old 24-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #25
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Jul 24 2005, 07:09 PM
what should be mandantory is good punctuation and spelling. and names. its JRR Tolkien... for gods sake..
Would punctuation include capital letters at the beginings of sentences? :bleh:

JRR (why) - that wasn't his name you know. Those are just the initials of his name (John Ronald Reuel)
Old 24-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #26
omg
Games Master

as soon as you correct others english your own falls prey danny.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 24-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #27
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Tolkein, because it is a well known classic, although not too hard... (i read it in 3rd grade), Adams probabally not because teachers and school boards will complain about how it doesn't teach anything...(although the same might be said for LOTR) Stephen King never will, well, probly not till like college I guess :tai: because parents will complain about the sexual content and other "inapropriate" stuff, even tho some people, like me, already read it at lower grades.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 24-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #28
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Jul 24 2005, 07:57 PM
Adams probabally not because teachers and school boards will complain about how it doesn't teach anything...
???

It's more then just a simple laugh from time to time. It can teach you a lot - if you look at it in the right perspective.

In the restourant at the edge of the Universe for example, where the animal offers its parts to the guests. It's better to eat an animal that was genetically modifed so it wishes to be eaten, then to slaughter an innocent animal not wanting to be eaten (great moral). A smart teacher could do wonders with with this statement alone! You can use it for ethics, genetic, healthy nurishment... not to mention it's just plain fun.
Old 24-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I believe Frank Herbert's books have the potential to become mandatory reading material.
Old 24-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #30
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Stephen King? Blech! I hate all that trashy horror stuff, even if he is a bit less trashy than most.

Incidentally, did anyone ever see Garth Meregnhi's Darkplace? That was a quality TV show, and you can't get it on DVD
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone