Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #21
Dino
Call me Edmund

Chosen, I don't want to put you off, but you can't seriously think that somebody can teach you something about fighting (even slightly useful) in theory.

My first advice would be to start building up your muscle mass (just lift some light weights two times a day, do some push-ups in series and start having proper nutrition, a.k.a. get yourself in shape). Furthermore, have some lessons in martial-arts. I would advise you to forget about kick-boxing, thai-boxing or such, since you say you can't lift much and I suppose you are not in shape for that kind of fight (you would probably just have your behind kicked in some sparing and you'll be fed up with it in very short period of time). Instead, take lessons in some other stand-up martial art which doesn't require that kind of power and body structure. My bet is on karate in that case, as it is an art which trains your reflexes and speed, thus teaching you how to use your power in the best possible way.

Some time later you can get a punching bag so you can train at home as well (let's say 20-30 minutes a day). Your punches and kicks will become stronger and more precise with time, and when that combines with good reflexes, speed and proper technique, it can become quite a combination. I'm pretty certain this would fulfill your needs!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #22
Ignite
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to Ignite

How about walking around with a sign, that says: KICK ME!!!
Ignite is offline                         Send a private message to Ignite
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #23
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

[quote]
Quote:
Play more mk and you'll learn lots of'em Chosen.
Learn what? Throwing stuff and morphing?

No like theyr moves.... or watch anime i even made some new moves my self...
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #24
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

You could get a blackbelt in Tai-Bo for very little money. Just buy the video tape and do what it says! Hehe, could you imagine how that fight would play out?

Jerk: You're dead punk!
You: Oh yeah!? Just a second!
<You insert 80's rock music tape into a boombox>
Jerk: Huh?
You: Ready? And punch, and punch, and kick, and kick, and round house, and...
<You don't finish because Jerk smashes your face into the sidewalk>

OR

<Jerk laughs so hard his organs split out his back and he falls to the ground dead>

I'm pretty good at fighting, although I haven't had any real formal training. Basically, I'm just very very strong, especially for someone my size, so I can out muscle most people in a fight.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 11-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #25
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

i think caring conventional everyday items as clothing and accessories as weapons is a key way to not get beaten up. Like my studded belt for instance you can whip people and chock them with it. Also think of the world arround you. its a weapon to be used. Any large blunt object or anything pointy will surely hurt like a bitch when slammed on someones head or jammed into there face

when you are done make sure to run and avoid that person. Also you are not a coward you are smart. see you dont have severe bruises now do you and im sure that person is now scared of you

Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 11-12-2005, 02:59 AM   #26
Kearnsy
Games Master

I actually have some size and strength (being a rugby player) and I did Karate for a while... but I haven't been in a real fight.
despite coming REALLY close.

So, my advice is to look like you know what your doing, or lok like you could do some damage and they wont even try it. It works for me.

...but if you dont want to go to the gym 3 times a week and start playing rugby with 100KG+ Islander guys... maybe you should try a different course of action.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #27
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Yup. Teach me some good moves and other fighting stuff.

Anything goes: Boxing, Karate, Dirty tactics (ecspecially dirty tactics)...etc.

Notice: If i would enter in a weight-lifting contest, i couldn't lift the thingie if it has any weights attacheds.
Be always hevier, if try to hit u with a puch, hit him with a spanner, if he takes out a flick knife, take out an army knive like Rambo´s one. Pos: u will be the panic of many. Neg: u can get killed.

Dirty tactics... trowh sand to the eyes and make a tacle(launch all your weight to his waist from down to up, and when u picked up him, trowhhim to floor with all your person in his waist too).... use no convensional wapons like weights in your hands for harder hitting..... trowh the first punch clear and follow it with an elbow hit

Quote:
I actually have some size and strength (being a rugby player) and I did Karate for a while... but I haven't been in a real fight.
despite coming REALLY close.

So, my advice is to look like you know what your doing, or lok like you could do some damage and they wont even try it. It works for me.

...but if you dont want to go to the gym 3 times a week and start playing rugby with 100KG+ Islander guys... maybe you should try a different course of action.
biggrin.gif
U play rugby?...where and in which position? I am hooker in La Salle (2do league in Argentina)
Old 11-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #28
Evad
Game freak

Seb was right to say that atittude is everything. Ask yourself why you want to learn how to fight and this will give you some direction. There is no wrong answer.

If I could offer just one thing that would make you a better fighter it would be to jog. Road work is roughly 75 % of a boxers training. Jogging will give you foot work, and good lungs. After you are comfortable jogging, or if you already are try this little gem. When you are into a good jog, and have hit your second wind, pick targets of about 200 or so meters away and sprint to them. when you get to the target don't stop, instead continue on jogging and recover while you are moving, when you have your wind back sprint again. Your postur should be upright but relaxed, and arms should pump straight forward and back. Get into a rhythm with your breathing, and make sure you are breathing in the nose and out the mouth. This is a good drill because it is progressive, and you can cater it to your specific physical shape.

A second thing that I found through my training is how to hit with my entire body. The trick is footwork. watch a boxxing match and see how they move the hips. Unless you are mike tyson you probably can't knock someone out with just your arms. there is a saying in karate that power is rooted in the feet, developed in the legs, and directed in the hips. basically all your upper limbs do is channel the power.

Finally, and this is by no means an authoritive or complete over view, learn some ground skills. It is accepted that as many as 80% of street fights end up on the ground, and although most people can throw a half decent punch most will faulter when it comes to wrestling. there are three main possitions in submission wrestling(brazilian jujitsu) and they are ,: The Guard(defensive but also very oppertunistic and offering great counter attacting potential. the Mount( most dominant). finally the side-mount(transitional between guard and mount, customarily though to have little potential although new strides are being made by current competetors.) just do a search of BJJ, or better yet, rent some Ultimate Fighting Championships( the older ones are better because they show drastically what happens when you make mistakes.)

that's my two cents hope it helps. .

Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 AM   #29
Flop
Hero Gamer

Well, all the advice so far has been good, but if you really, really want to win a fight, the best advice is to hit the other guy as hard as you can on the nose. If you hit him right and hard enough, he'll go down in one punch. This is why so many fights are over before they start: someone hits someone else on the nose, before that guy even realises that a fight has started. Of course, doing that means that you yourself have to start the fight, which is never recommended (if you ask me, at least).

If the fight has already started (and you somehow avoided getting knocked out), my best advice is to keep trying to avoid getting hit on the nose, and go for the other guy's balls. Then stomp on his neck when he's down.

Edit: I think it should be noted that stomping on the guys neck when he's down, carries a risk of killing him. But hey, you wanted to fight, right?
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 11-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #30
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Dec 11 2005, 08:08 AM
Well, all the advice so far has been good, but if you really, really want to win a fight, the best advice is to hit the other guy as hard as you can on the nose.
Hitting the throat you can easily kill, and is simplier to hit than the nose (at least in my experience)...

..but, hey, this topic is turning a bit violent, don't you think?

EDIT: Should we put a parental advisory in the topic title? :blink: